The Student Room Group

Range of validity

How do i find the range of validity of this series expansion, without making a substitution into the original ln(1+x)?

THanks!
Original post by Zenarthra

How do i find the range of validity of this series expansion, without making a substitution into the original ln(1+x)?

THanks!

Rewrite your expression on the left in terms of two "ln" functions, and it should then be clear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Rewrite your expression on the left in terms of two "ln" functions, and it should then be clear.

Ah right, would it be -1<x<1?

But when i made a substitution of 2x/(1-x) into -1<x<1 which is the range of valid x values for ln(1+x) i got -1<x<1/3?
Reply 3
Ah right, would it be -1<x<1?

But when i made a substitution of 2x/(1-x) into -1<x<1 which is the range of valid x values for ln(1+x) i got -1<x<1/3?

What does the bit in bold mean?

(Have you asked this question before - I'm sure I corrected someone who was working on this problem a couple of months ago?!)
Reply 4
Original post by arkanm
I think the ratio test works here, but this is the first time I'll be using it so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The nth term of the series on the right hand side is an=22n1x2n1a_n=\frac{2}{2n-1} x^{2n-1}, so L=limnan+1an=limn22n+1x2n+122n1x2n1=x2limn2n12n+1L=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left | \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right | = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left | \frac{\frac{2}{2n+1} x^{2n+1}}{\frac{2}{2n-1} x^{2n-1}}\right | = x^2\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left |\frac{2n-1}{2n+1}\right |

=x2limn122n+1=x2=x^2\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left |1-\frac{2}{2n+1} \right| = x^2

Now by the ratio test, for the series to converge we need L<1L<1, and since we have shown that L=x2L=x^2 we must have x2<1x^2<1 i.e. 1<x<1-1<x<1.

Is this right? Anyone?

I haven't got time to check this rigorously right now, but ghostwalker's suggestion is by far the simplest way to do this because the ranges of validity of ln(1+x) and ln(1-x) are standard at A level so you can just combine them (you certainly have the right answer but I haven't checked your ratio test logic :smile: )
Reply 5
Original post by davros
What does the bit in bold mean?

(Have you asked this question before - I'm sure I corrected someone who was working on this problem a couple of months ago?!)

I dont know if this is the correct approach but.
From data given the sets of x values that are valid for ln(1+x) are -1<x<1
I let 1+y=1+x / 1-x

y=2x/1-x

Substituted this into ln(1+x) to get ln(1+x/1-x) and also the sets of valid x values -1<2x/1-x<1

Which gives -1<x<1/3 i think.

And it wasn't me *shaggy voice.
Reply 6
I dont know if this is the correct approach but.
From data given the sets of x values that are valid for ln(1+x) are -1<x<1
I let 1+y=1+x / 1-x

y=2x/1-x

Substituted this into ln(1+x) to get ln(1+x/1-x) and also the sets of valid x values -1<2x/1-x<1

Which gives -1<x<1/3 i think.

And it wasn't me *shaggy voice.

OK, you're making the same mistake as the earlier poster that I corrected on this.

The range -1 < y < 1 lets you expand ln(1 + y) in powers of y.

So if you put 1 + y = (1+x)/(1-x) you have an expansion that is valid in powers of (1+x)/(1-x) NOT an expansion that is valid in powers of x. Basically you're answering a completely different question :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by davros
OK, you're making the same mistake as the earlier poster that I corrected on this.

The range -1 < y < 1 lets you expand ln(1 + y) in powers of y.

So if you put 1 + y = (1+x)/(1-x) you have an expansion that is valid in powers of (1+x)/(1-x) NOT an expansion that is valid in powers of x. Basically you're answering a completely different question :smile:

So why does it work for ln(1+2x)?
Subbing 2x in for x in ln(1+x)?

Which gives valid x values of -1/2<x<1/2?

ThankS!
Reply 8
Original post by arkanm
I guess you could write 1+k=1+x1x1+k=\frac{1+x}{1-x}, solve for k in terms of x (i.e. just subtract 1 and manipulate right hand side a bit), and then solve -1<k<1 ?

THats exactly what i did O_O.
Reply 9
So why does it work for ln(1+2x)?
Subbing 2x in for x in ln(1+x)?

Which gives valid x values of -1/2<x<1/2?

ThankS!

Because you expand in powers of (2x) you get some powers of 2 in front of powers of x, i.e. you still really have an expansion in powers of x, but with different numbers in front.

Original post by arkanm
I guess you could write 1+k=1+x1x1+k=\frac{1+x}{1-x}, solve for k in terms of x (i.e. just subtract 1 and manipulate right hand side a bit), and then solve -1<k<1 ?

I think that's what he's tried to do, which is why he's got the wrong answer!

The point is, if you have an expansion like

ln(1 + y) = A + By + Cy^2 + ... for -1 < y < 1

then you can put y = 2x to get ln(1 + 2x) = A + B(2x) + (2x)^2 + ... for -1 < 2x < 1

which is still a series in powers of x

BUT if you put something like y = 2x/(1 - x) then you get

ln(1 + y) = ln(1 +(2x/(1-x))) = ln((1+x)/(1-x)) = A + B(2x/(1-x)) + C((2x/(1-x))^2) + ... for -1 < 2x/(1-x) < 1

which isn't what you want at all, because the series on the right isn't in powers of x - it's in powers of 2x/(1-x)!!

That's why I said the OP is answering a different question from finding a series in powers of x :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by arkanm
Ah, yes. Just read some of the previous posts.

I'm still not sure why it gives -1<x<1/3. :redface: Man I'm bad at calculus.

Man if you're bad at calculus, im ultra bad lol!
Reply 11
Original post by davros
Because you expand in powers of (2x) you get some powers of 2 in front of powers of x, i.e. you still really have an expansion in powers of x, but with different numbers in front.

I think that's what he's tried to do, which is why he's got the wrong answer!

The point is, if you have an expansion like

ln(1 + y) = A + By + Cy^2 + ... for -1 < y < 1

then you can put y = 2x to get ln(1 + 2x) = A + B(2x) + (2x)^2 + ... for -1 < 2x < 1

which is still a series in powers of x

BUT if you put something like y = 2x/(1 - x) then you get

ln(1 + y) = ln(1 +(2x/(1-x))) = ln((1+x)/(1-x)) = A + B(2x/(1-x)) + C((2x/(1-x))^2) + ... for -1 < 2x/(1-x) < 1

which isn't what you want at all, because the series on the right isn't in powers of x - it's in powers of 2x/(1-x)!!

That's why I said the OP is answering a different question from finding a series in powers of x :smile:

IF YOU SAID THAT THE FIRST TIME I WOULD OF UNDERSTOOD! -.-

Thanks!
Reply 12
IF YOU SAID THAT THE FIRST TIME I WOULD OF UNDERSTOOD! -.-

Thanks!

I wasn't completely sure what you'd tried to do at first, and I was trying to remember who I'd helped before!

Glad you've got it now :smile:
Original post by arkanm

Now by the ratio test, for the series to converge we need L<1L<1, and since we have shown that L=x2L=x^2 we must have x2<1x^2<1 i.e. 1<x<1-1<x<1.

Is this right? Anyone?

I think this looks fine, except for the question of convergence when x=±1x=\pm1, which you need to examine separately - the ratio test is inconclusive in that case.
Reply 14
Original post by arkanm
Thanks. For x=±1x=\pm 1 we have the series 2+2/3+2/5+... and -2-2/3-2/5-..., which are both divergent since 1+1/3+1/5+... is divergent.

Original post by atsruser
I think this looks fine, except for the question of convergence when x=±1x=\pm1, which you need to examine separately - the ratio test is inconclusive in that case.

For the ratio test, dont you have to show that the lim as n-> infinity is <1?
For the series to converge?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
For the ratio test, dont you have to show that the lim as n-> infinity is <1?
For the series to converge?

Thanks!

If that limit < 1, then the series converges.

However, if the limit = 1, then the series may or may not converge; there are convergent series where the ratio test gives 1, and divergent series where the ratio test gives 1. So you can make no conclusion about the convergence of a series in this case. You need to use other techniques in this case.

So when arkanm set x2<1x^2 < 1, he could find a range where the series definitely converged, but he could make no statement about its convergence when x=1x =1. He had to do that separately.

He had no need to exam the case where x2>1x^2>1 since the ratio guarantees divergence then.

(In fact, the ratio test guarantees a stronger form of convergence, called absolute convergence, when the limit < 1)
Reply 16
Original post by atsruser
If that limit < 1, then the series converges.

However, if the limit = 1, then the series may or may not converge; there are convergent series where the ratio test gives 1, and divergent series where the ratio test gives 1. So you can make no conclusion about the convergence of a series in this case. You need to use other techniques in this case.

So when arkanm set x2<1x^2 < 1, he could find a range where the series definitely converged, but he could make no statement about its convergence when x=1x =1. He had to do that separately.

He had no need to exam the case where x2>1x^2>1 since the ratio guarantees divergence then.

(In fact, the ratio test guarantees a stronger form of convergence, called absolute convergence, when the limit < 1)

Ahh right thanks, how does the ratio test actually work?
Reply 17
Ahh right thanks, how does the ratio test actually work?

At this stage you really need to be looking at a resource like Wikipedia, or grabbing yourself an analysis book to look at - a proper proof of the ratio test would basically involve somebody copying out a chunk of analysis proof for you!

(It's not difficult to prove, but it's not really a good use of someone else's time getting them to type out manually what you can probably find online or in a book that deals with series rigorously)

Are you an A level student btw - you seem to be posting questions across a wide range of topics, but I'm not clear what qualification you're studying for?
Reply 18
Original post by davros
At this stage you really need to be looking at a resource like Wikipedia, or grabbing yourself an analysis book to look at - a proper proof of the ratio test would basically involve somebody copying out a chunk of analysis proof for you!

(It's not difficult to prove, but it's not really a good use of someone else's time getting them to type out manually what you can probably find online or in a book that deals with series rigorously)

Are you an A level student btw - you seem to be posting questions across a wide range of topics, but I'm not clear what qualification you're studying for?

I already have my Alevels, but im taking FM as a requirement for my course.
And thank you, i understand. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest