The Student Room Group

Is commuting from London to Leicester Do able ?

Is it do able or realistic

because i found coach tickets which are 10pound return

And if i multiple that for the whole year, it so much cheaper than moving and living in a new city.

What If i only have to go in about 3 days a week, that is like 30pound a week on tickets, or less that 100
plus I can get discounts with a pass.
Reply 1
No. Its like a 2 hour drive on a good day, and its never a good day on the M1
I think that's reasonable though renting a flat or something would be a bit expensive yet more convenient for you so i would probably recommend that.
A 4 -6 hour journey everyday is doable but will seriously be draining!!!
Original post by Xenax123
Is it do able or realistic

because i found coach tickets which are 10pound return

And if i multiple that for the whole year, it so much cheaper than moving and living in a new city.

What If i only have to go in about 3 days a week, that is like 30pound a week on tickets, or less that 100
plus I can get discounts with a pass.

what ridiculous time would have you to get up at to get to 9am lectures? it also makes it more difficult to take part in activities and make friends so I really wouldn't recommend it.
No, don't be silly! Too far... plus Leicester is cheaper than London. Is it a 3 year course?
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
what ridiculous time would have you to get up at to get to 9am lectures? it also makes it more difficult to take part in activities and make friends so I really wouldn't recommend it.

I didn;t mention anything about friends or activities.
I am simply talking going uni and coming back. I would need to be on coach or train at 7 or 8. But that is life. People go to work that time.
And coming back, I can get a late coach.
It saves so much money
Reply 6
Original post by tim_123
No. Its like a 2 hour drive on a good day, and its never a good day on the M1

Original post by Rakes
I think that's reasonable though renting a flat or something would be a bit expensive yet more convenient for you so i would probably recommend that.
A 4 -6 hour journey everyday is doable but will seriously be draining!!!

I see, I feel moving away is sucha hastle. And costly
Reply 7
I am simply talking going uni and coming back. I would need to be on coach or train at 7 or 8. But that is life. People go to work that time.
It saves so much money

you may save money, but youll be knackered every single day. Its really not worth it
Reply 8
Original post by tim_123
you may save money, but youll be knackered every single day. Its really not worth it

Hmm, I see
It saves so much money

Do you not want to make any new friends at uni? Or take part in any uni life/activities?
Find a closer uni
I don't think you will save money tbh. Getting a coach back and forth is too long considering you might leave uni at 5 and the journey is 3 hours on average which means you'd get home for around 8-9, eat and then go straight to sleep to get up for 4 so that you can endure another 3 hour bus journey to get to university for a 9am lecture. You're going to be absolutely knackered and realistically it just isn't do-able. Taking a coach will be about £15-£20 twice a day, and thats £150 if you're going in 5 days a week (you might have too depending on your course). I'm not sure how much you're getting from student finance but a large bulk of your money will dissapear very, very quickly if you decide to do this ridiculous commute. You also will have no time to study unless you intend to do that on the coach which isn't the best environment to study. I think if the reason you want to stay at home is because you're comfortable and don't want to move, my advice would be to grow some balls and move or find a closer university that you can actually commute too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah there's a direct train that takes 1hr!
You could get a train direct from St Pancras. That's an hour and a half plus the time taken at either end to get where you need to be.

I wouldn't get a coach personally - rush hour traffic will make the journey at least 2 and a half hours in the morning and at least 2 in the evening - and it's a very tiring form of transport.

You've gotta do what you've gotta do. Don't underestimate how tiring travelling can be and how fatigue will affect your ability to study and work properly. Likewise, your happiness is also an important factor in performing well.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending