The Student Room Group

Is it possible?

Hey there,

I am currently in Year 13 studying Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths and French.
I decided to continue all 5 of my A-levels since Chem, Bio and Maths are typical of a medicine applicant while I enjoyed studying Physics and French.

Now Results Day wasn't very kind on me..I got B in Bio, Physics and Maths, and A in French, and a D in Chemistry... One reason for this is that I only started school in January, so I only had 5 months really of exam preparation. These grades mean that I'm having to retake at least one chemistry unit and maybe even a maths and bio unit to bump up my UMS. I am predicted A* in French and A in all the other subject. I am confident I can achieve these grades, but I am unsure as to when I should start revising for my AS resits while still keeping up to pace with my A2s.

What's the optimum time to start revising so that it's not too late, yet not too early that I would've forgot everything by exam day.
Also, what is the best way to "cram" A2 early on in the year so that I am quite ready by March-ish. I don't want to do last year's mistake where I also thought that A-levels are something that can be crammed like GCSE.

Looking forward to any replies
Thanks for reading :smile:
Omg im in the EXACT same situation as you!
Im doing biology, chemistry, maths and french. Just like you, i thought that i would be able to cram everything at the last minute like i did for my IGCSEs but needless to say that didnt work..

My As results were:
BIOLOGY:
unit 1 - B
unit 2 - C
unit 3 - B (overal: C)

CHEMISTRY:
unit 1: D
unit 2: D
unit 3: A (overall: C)

MATHS:
C12: A
D1: C (overall B)

FRENCH: A

RUSSIAN: B (but i didnt take it as A2)

Basically im doing International A Levels which means that i can resit in january so ill be resitting:
-chem unit 1 and 2,
-bio unit 2 and 3,
-maths D1

Im also sitting bio and chem unit 4 in january so that they're out of the way and if i mess up i can try again in June.

The optimum time to start revising is right now.. I've started revising for my As resits, like 3-5 hours daily on top of the required A2 work i need to do (homework, revision for tests etc..). It's important you don't repeat last year's mistake so make sure you start revising pretty soon :smile:
Also, if you have frees, it would be a good idea to check if there are any year 12 classes you can attend as they'll be covering the stuff you need to know for your resits.
PS- Im also predicted A* in french and aiming for A's in my other subjects
Goodluck :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I've met other people with a similar story to me haha! I'm in Year13 studying Chemistry, Biology, French and Maths. I was looking to pursue a career in dentistry but after my AS results, I decided not to apply this year as it would be too risky.

My AS results were A (French) B (Maths and Biology) and a C (Chemistry). However, I was 1 mark off a B in chemistry and the remarks in my school have gone up for chemistry so I'm hoping I too get a B.

I'm planning on retaking C1 and C2 for maths and Unit 2 in chemistry in order to secure an A at AS level for the both subjects. I then plan on working really hard this year, to achieve A*AAA minimum. My predicted grades are A*AAB atm...

I'm planning on applying to pharmacy this year. Do any of you guys know whether I'd be in with a good chance of getting accepted?

I have done a lot to do with pharmacy and my gcse's were a full set of A's with 1 A*.

Any advice would help me a lot, thank you!
Reply 3
It's so unusual to see other people do French while applying for medicine lol

And yh I'm pretty much in exam season (making notes, past papers questions etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah i was surprised to see you do french haha
Im probably going to take a gap year because i'm 16 now so if i go to uni next year, ill be 17 throughout the entire first year which basically means no social life... (going out etc) :/

im going to apply for september 2016 for either biochemistry or dentistry to pretty good uni's (imperial, UCL, kings college, Manchester and something else) and if they all reject me ill just reapply during my gap year.

Where are you guys thinking of applying?
Reply 5
Queen Mary for sure (good ucas tariff)
Still clueless on the other options

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm going to apply for pharmacy this year... do you guys think I'd have a good chance of getting accepted?
I'm thinking to apply to UCL, Kings, Brighton, Nottingham and Bath.

I wanna work really hard this year though to get minimum A*A*AA and if that's the case, then I'd take a gap year and apply for dentistry being more confident with my application.

Quick Reply

Latest