The Student Room Group

Law firms/chambers look down on A Level resits

I am resitting some A Level modules in my gap year to go to a reputable university to study Law.

If I achieve a high 2:1/1st and have relevant EC and work experience then will the fact that I am resitting hold me back from practising law in London.

I know that firms/chambers have an A Level filtering system. I know that usually you need a minimum AAB. What I don't know is that does the system also look at if you have achieved your grades in the first sitting or not?

Please provide a source/evidence to support your answer.
Original post by Da Di Doo
I am resitting some A Level modules in my gap year to go to a reputable university to study Law.

If I achieve a high 2:1/1st and have relevant EC and work experience then will the fact that I am resitting hold me back from practising law in London.

I know that firms/chambers have an A Level filtering system. I know that usually you need a minimum AAB. What I don't know is that does the system also look at if you have achieved your grades in the first sitting or not?

Hi I'm in the exact same position as yourself. From what I've heard if the law firm dosent explicitly say the grades it wants alongside the phrase "acheived in one sitting" then assume it dosent matter and if you have the grades you should be able to make a competitive application. What I'm planning to do is ultimately aim for a first/ high 2:1 and do extra curriculars I enjoy in addition to becoming commercially aware
Reply 2
Original post by neal95
Hi I'm in the exact same position as yourself. From what I've heard if the law firm dosent explicitly say the grades it wants alongside the phrase "acheived in one sitting" then assume it dosent matter and if you have the grades you should be able to make a competitive application. What I'm planning to do is ultimately aim for a first/ high 2:1 and do extra curriculars I enjoy in addition to becoming commercially aware

Thank you.

Yeah I'm aiming for a first as well to try and stand a chance against all these Oxbridge, LSE, Durham... graduates.

Anyways, best of luck :smile:
Thank you.

Yeah I'm aiming for a first as well to try and stand a chance against all these Oxbridge, LSE, Durham... graduates.

Anyways, best of luck :smile:

Exactly! Where are you hoping to go this year and what do you need? I need AAA and want to go to the university of birmingham and need to improve from BCC
Reply 4
Original post by neal95
Exactly! Where are you hoping to go this year and what do you need? I need AAA and want to go to the university of birmingham and need to improve from BCC

I also need AAA to go to Manchester/QMUL

Are you on a gap year too? Also, have you gotten any work experience?
I also need AAA to go to Manchester/QMUL

Are you on a gap year too? Also, have you gotten any work experience?

Yup I'm on a gap year :smile: which one is your first choice and how much do you need to improve by? Do you need to get a reference of your old sixth form? And yes I have however it was only a weeks worth of shadowing my mums friend in a criminal law firm- I went to court and such like- not really relevent to commercial law but it's something I guess
Reply 6
Original post by neal95
Yup I'm on a gap year :smile: which one is your first choice and how much do you need to improve by? Do you need to get a reference of your old sixth form? And yes I have however it was only a weeks worth of shadowing my mums friend in a criminal law firm- I went to court and such like- not really relevent to commercial law but it's something I guess

Yeah my old college is doing my reference.

I need to turn the very low Bs into As. I'm retaking Biology (2 modules) and Chemistry (2 modules) in order to do that.

I don't know which one I like more, Manchester or QMUL. They're both strong law schools in great cities. I think I might just flip a coin haha :tongue:
Reply 7

Briefly perused a mix of City firms to see their policy re. their A-level filter and I didn't find any specifying that they had to be in 'one sitting'. Your best bet is to email a mixture of firms' graduate recruitment teams asking for their exact policy.

You might find my post from another thread interesting to read:

Original post by Aldente
There is often a section on TC apps where they ask you if you have had to resit any exams.

If you have resat an AS exam for example, would you need to declare this or does this refer to retakes (i.e. re-doing the whole subject)/ LLB modules?

I have no mitigating circumstances but the exam in mind, was a one off (i.e. a bad day) and not at all a reflection of my ability. I don't want it bringing down my chances but neither do I want to be intentionally dishonest, particularly as you need to show law firms your transcripts/certificates later on.

Any advice/experiences would be sincerely appreciated.

I guess it comes down to the semantics of the question. There is a difference in being asked 'Have you ever resat an exam?' and 'Have you ever had to resit an exam?'. The 'had' in the second question implies it was mandatory to resit the exam in order for your studies to progress to the next level. I would say such a question is geared more towards someone failing a university module and being asked to resit the module (in whatever its guise is) to be accepted into the next year of study. Whereas I think students have only ever voluntarily re-taken an AS exam or two to boost their initial grade to make the task easier at A2.

The main difference between resitting an AS module and a university module is that (unless because of a mitigating circumstance) someone only ever resits a university module because of poor performance. It's wrong to assume someone resits an AS module because of a poor performance. For example, I retook an AS module which I got an A in (a low one) simply because I felt a) I could do better and b) it would make the A2 exams less stressful. No one can turn round and say I performed objectively badly in that exam. My point is that you can cogently form an argument, if questioned on your answer to the resitting question, why you felt resitting an AS exam did not fall under the question of whether you have ever had to resit an exam before. I would therefore not include it under the question of 'Have you ever had to resit an exam?'

If the question is simply 'Have you ever resat an exam?', then I guess it's much harder to argue against not ticking the box for your AS exam. You're correct in thinking that honesty is the best policy, but it's ultimately down to you. AS and A-level certificates simply give your final grades for the subjects you've taken; they provide no indication of whether the grade in question was obtained after the first attempt or, say, four more.
Reply 8
Original post by LawLad13
Briefly perused a mix of City firms to see their policy re. their A-level filter and I didn't find any specifying that they had to be in 'one sitting'. Your best bet is to email a mixture of firms' graduate recruitment teams asking for their exact policy.

You might find my post from another thread interesting to read:

Yeah that was intersting, thank you.

I guess I'll have to go on a mass emailing spree now, haha.

Thank you for your help.
Most Chambers pick candidates for interview on the basis of sifting applications, being either CVs and covering letters or more generic application forms. The majority will therefore not even be able to identify whether or not marks were secured after a resit, so as far as Chambers are concerned I wouldn't worry about it.
Omg A levels will always haunt my cv:frown: definitely resitting some modules

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most ask for the year, so they might spot the discrepancy from GCSE to A Level (hopefully they would, lawyers are meant to pay attention to detail), but it wouldn't be a huge factor.

Suspect some will ask about it at interview, as much to see how you handle tough questioning about someting you're probably not proud of than because they actually care about the results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending