The Student Room Group

Math societies at university?

Are there usually any maths societies at university, I am not sure what they might include but just wanted to know.

I enjoyed maths at school and wanted to just do some math at uni and keep on top of the game since I don't really face it day to day. I forgot some of the stuff I did at college and GCSE and would like to join like a society.

Just curious, let me know what these maths societies are like

The degree I will do wont have any maths FYI
Reply 1
Original post by Alumna

Most universities will have something called a maths society, but it's most likely a departmental group, i.e. predominantly aimed at students studying maths in any form at university.

One thing that might be of interest is basically just go along to some other lectures. You'll need to find out the best ones though, as there will likely be some maths refreshers for students who have GCSE, and may require some of it for their course/bits of A-level.

Your university might have like a maths help department, which is there to support students with maths and statistics type problems if they're not very mathematical etc. or just need a bit of help. They might have some suggestions/material you could use, and go sit with them during their drop in hours. Usually made up of older students that are comfortable with maths basically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending