The Student Room Group

calling all nursing and midwifery students living away from home!

Hi Im thinking about studying midwifery next year and am concerned about booking accommodation if you can be placed anywhere for clinical placement. do they expect you to travel to placement from accommodation or pay for you to stay near the hospital.
Thanks
Reply 1
Anyone have any advice or experience with this? :smile:
You'd most likely travel from your uni accomodation although it could be quite a distance, as I am also applying for midwifery next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tootsmagee
Hi Im thinking about studying midwifery next year and am concerned about booking accommodation if you can be placed anywhere for clinical placement. do they expect you to travel to placement from accommodation or pay for you to stay near the hospital.
Thanks

Depending on where you study it may be feasible to use public transport to get to placement, especially if you go to a university in a large city. If you end up having to travel a very large distance then there may be the option to stay nearer to your placement area, you used to be able to claim the cost of this back from the bursary people, I think this is still the case but it might be wise to check.

Why not go to some open days at universities you're interested in applying to and speak to some current students, there's usually a few about to talk to.
Reply 4
It is expected that you will travel to placement from your accommodation. I believe some universities will refund your fee to get into placement if it costs more than your normal commute to university. I think you should contact your prospective university and ask them this.
Original post by Alice_95
It is expected that you will travel to placement from your accommodation. I believe some universities will refund your fee to get into placement if it costs more than your normal commute to university. I think you should contact your prospective university and ask them this.

If you have to travel further to placement than you do to go to university the bursary people will pay the difference. It's not a university thing, you have to claim it from the bursary people. I've found the info about this and for if people were to require accommodation as well: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Documents/Students/FAQ_15_Claiming_back_travel_or_accommodation_costs_from_a_practice_placement_(V6)_07.2014.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
If you have to travel further to placement than you do to go to university the bursary people will pay the difference. It's not a university thing, you have to claim it from the bursary people. I've found the info about this and for if people were to require accommodation as well: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Documents/Students/FAQ_15_Claiming_back_travel_or_accommodation_costs_from_a_practice_placement_(V6)_07.2014.pdf

Ah right ok - at KCL and other places you follow the process with admin staff who must then, I presume send these details on.
Original post by Alice_95
Ah right ok - at KCL and other places you follow the process with admin staff who must then, I presume send these details on.

Yeah I think people who did it when I was at uni did it through the ever cheerful and helpful staff in the admin office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending