The Student Room Group

Phones4U facing administration – will they bite the dust?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/14/phones-4u-administration-contract-ee

Is there any wonder why they're facing administration? I'm scared to even go in Phones4U as their staff always pounce on you like hungry lions (men in suits trying to sell you crap contracts) as soon as you go inside!

Plus these days there's no need to go through the middleman. 3, Vodafone, EE and Virgin all have their own high street stores. Many folks I know have sim only deals from GiffGaff too. The Carphone Warehouse saw this coming a while ago and merged with Currys/PC World. Phones4U are screwed.

Myself I can't be arsed with lengthy contracts anymore. I'm only going on rolling sim-only contracts now. Maybe that's gonna be a trend? IMO all the big phone networks deserve to be stung. People are sick of their arrogance and their disgusting 24-month contracts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not surprised, yeah I've never been there... always got a weird vibe from them, like they don't come across the same way lets say 3 stores do. Professional you know?
Not surprised in the least had a few contracts from them myself couldn't say they were any good.
Reply 3
No disrespect to anybody who works there on here but every time I have had any contact with them they've been an absolute shambles of a company. Surprised they lasted this long.
Reply 4
Their TV adverts are too strong for them to go bust..
Reply 5
I can't take any company seriously that uses internet slang as its name
Completely pointless shop these days, you can compare contracts from all networks easily online. No loss.
Reply 7
Original post by lor771
I can't take any company seriously that uses internet slang as its name

Surprised they've stuck with the name so long given the fall of text speak in recent years etc.
Reply 8
Original post by PillsIV
Not surprised, yeah I've never been there... always got a weird vibe from them, like they don't come across the same way lets say 3 stores do. Professional you know?

The salesmen/women in my store all sounded like they're selling used phones on a car boot sale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There shops down the high street will be taken over by some loan company or a charity shop.
There's a fake twitter page telling people to F off. Completely hilarious.

https://twitter.com/Phones4U_
Reply 11
Hang on. If I have a contract with them, what happens to it? I'm due an upgrade next month FFS!
Original post by Mackay
Hang on. If I have a contract with them, what happens to it? I'm due an upgrade next month FFS!

I imagine it will remain, the service is provided by the network provider, so vodafone, EE etc, after all both companies have already left, yet people on contracts with them haven't had the service stop, they're just a middle man.
Reply 13
Original post by joey11223
I imagine it will remain, the service is provided by the network provider, so vodafone, EE etc, after all both companies have already left, yet people on contracts with them haven't had the service stop, they're just a middle man.

I'll contact my network for clarification then. Cheers.
Original post by Mackay
I'll contact my network for clarification then. Cheers.

Tbh im with phones4u. got a contract on orange, not even going to bother inquiring, unless my phone stops working lol.
Tbh im with phones4u. got a contract on orange, not even going to bother inquiring, unless my phone stops working lol.

In most cases the contract is managed entirely by the network, so you should be fine. :smile:

The only exception is Phones4U's own virtual network Life Mobile, which might be closed down, or perhaps kept going as an independent business.
Reply 16

In my experience they are absolutely useless.
Original post by Mackay
In my experience they are absolutely useless.

I'd ring Orange not phones4u, despite others complaints, I've found Orange customer services to be great the twice I've needed to call, not like 3....never again.
Reply 18
I'd ring Orange not phones4u, despite others complaints, I've found Orange customer services to be great the twice I've needed to call, not like 3....never again.

I'm with O2 unfortunately. Their customer service is...erm, questionable.
Original post by datpiff
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/14/phones-4u-administration-contract-ee

Is there any wonder why they're facing administration? I'm scared to even go in Phones4U as their staff always pounce on you like hungry lions (men in suits trying to sell you crap contracts) as soon as you go inside!

Plus these days there's no need to go through the middleman. 3, Vodafone, EE and Virgin all have their own high street stores. Many folks I know have sim only deals from GiffGaff too. The Carphone Warehouse saw this coming a while ago and merged with Currys/PC World. Phones4U are screwed.

Myself I can't be arsed with lengthy contracts anymore. I'm only going on rolling sim-only contracts now. Maybe that's gonna be a trend? IMO all the big phone networks deserve to be stung. People are sick of their arrogance and their disgusting 24-month contracts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean pay as you go? Same. I have always been suspicious of phone contracts.

Quick Reply

Latest