The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot Watt Fashion Marketing

Thinking of applying for this course. I plan to attend uni in 2015.
Is anyone from London attending this university currently? If so:
How do you cope with being quite far from home?
What train do you get to Heriot Watt? Been researching but cannot seem to find any direct trains.
Would be grateful if I hear back from you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by princesskimana
Thinking of applying for this course. I plan to attend uni in 2015.
Is anyone from London attending this university currently? If so:
How do you cope with being quite far from home?
What train do you get to Heriot Watt? Been researching but cannot seem to find any direct trains.
Would be grateful if I hear back from you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll find plenty of students from other countries, and for the most part they cope just fine with being far away from home! That said, I do know of a couple of students who freaked out quite badly at the start of their first year. It's tough to make such a major change in your life, but most people end up loving Edinburgh (and HW) once they're here and settled in.

As for trains, whenever I go to London it's with eastcoast trains. Most of their trains are direct, though for some you'll need to change in Newcastle (if memory serves me right).. so keep an eye on "number of changes" when you're booking! They'll take you straight to King's Cross station. If you book in advance you might get lucky and find a return for £39 (cheapest I've had), but on average I think I've paid around £80 or so.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by Salgoud
You'll find plenty of students from other countries, and for the most part they cope just fine with being far away from home! That said, I do know of a couple of students who freaked out quite badly at the start of their first year. It's tough to make such a major change in your life, but most people end up loving Edinburgh (and HW) once they're here and settled in.

As for trains, whenever I go to London it's with eastcoast trains. Most of their trains are direct, though for some you'll need to change in Newcastle (if memory serves me right).. so keep an eye on "number of changes" when you're booking! They'll take you straight to King's Cross station. If you book in advance you might get lucky and find a return for £39 (cheapest I've had), but on average I think I've paid around £80 or so.

Thanks so much for this but I am now looking at going somewhere nearer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by princesskimana
Thanks so much for this but I am now looking at going somewhere nearer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely understandable, but do keep in mind that independence is an important skill (or rather set thereof) to learn. It's scary at first, but being able to leave the nest and take care of yourself will pay off in the long run - it's something you'll have to learn sooner or later, and it's highly gratifying. Plus, your friends and family are never more than a phone call or skype session away, which makes it a lot easier.

Also, remember that where you go (in terms of the city as well as the university) impacts how happy you'll be. If you find a good university in a nice town near you, that's great, but don't go to a town or university that you don't like the vibe of just to be closer to home - that's a surefire way to ensure that you won't enjoy the experience. Edinburgh is a lovely city, really easy to feel at home in, and full of other students. HW also has a really familial feel to it owing to it's size and the fact that it's a campus university.

Best of luck with your choice and future studies!

Quick Reply

Latest