The Student Room Group

Choice of three girls

Suppose you were a guy who's in his 20s. And suppose that the following three girls all wanted to be in a relationship with you. Assume that this is intended to be a long term relationship, possibly leading up to marriage.

1] Very pretty, at least 8 or 9 out of 10. You've known her for about a year. Reasonably nice person most of the time, but horrible when she's angry. Usually a bit introverted. From a humble and modest background, but looking to move up in the world. Average intelligence, and average career. About 3 or 4 years older than you.

2] Above average looking, say 6 or 7 out of 10. Seems like a nice person, but you don't know her that well just yet. Extremely educated and intelligent, with realistic aspirations to become a professor. From a very upper-class background, i.e. parents are on speaking terms with members of the Royal Family, have hereditary titles etc. One year older than you.

3] The least good-looking of the three, about 3 out of 10, but can be kind of ok if she makes an effort. She's been your friend for several years, and you both know each other inside out. Currently studies in a foreign country, but not for much longer. Above average intelligence, and looks set for quite a well respected profession. From a middle, or upper-middle class background. 4 or 5 years younger than you.

Which one would you pick, and why?

Scroll to see replies

Option 3 because I know her better , looks don't quite matter to me and we seem to get along since we've been friends for quite some time. Plus I can't stand when people take their anger out on me so option 1 is definitely not an option for me.
Reply 2
Probably one.

:dontknow:

Two, the whole upper class royalty thing... no.
Three, 3/10? I don't know many 3/10s so I can only assume there'd be no physical attraction whatsoever.

Whereas for one, average intelligence and average career is fine with me, she sounds fairly aspirational, and she's hot. Why not? Only downside is she gets mad when she's mad, but so do I probably.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a girl but I'd say 2 or 3. Class is pretty irrelevant to the situation. Intelligence is actually very important in the long run for insightful discussion and feeling fulfilled. That's actually one thing I'd value most. Having said that if you are of average intelligence yourself you may not need someone smarter than you to discuss things with. You need to be on the same level of intelligence basically and understand where eachother are coming from. Obviously if you're not physically attracted to 3 then don't forget for her because sex would be very difficult.
OP if this is a real life situation and you do not feel particularly strongly about any of the girls do not force yourself to settle down. It is better in the long run to wait and find someone you are compatible with in almost every sense. Otherwise you will be procuring each other's unhappiness, and it is worse if there are kids involved. Too many people feel the need to settle down too quick. Don't be pressured into a life by society
Option 1. She is attractive, what woman doesnt get angry?, humble and I think she would make someone the happiest.
Original post by Anonymous
Option 1. She is attractive, what woman doesnt get angry?, humble and I think she would make someone the happiest.

He didn't say she was humble lol she said she was from a humble background. They are two different things.
Reply 6
Original post by Temporality
Class is pretty irrelevant to the situation.

Personally I'd say it can be quite relevant to long term relationships and marriage etc. People from very different backgrounds and socioeconomic classes can feel like they're from totally different worlds or cultures, and each may have a tough time accommodating the other. Especially when it comes to raising a child, if you both have completely different ideas about what is socially acceptable behaviour, sufficiently acceptable aspirations etc. I'd envisage it as being a bit difficult.

Anyway, for me this would probably be a tough choice between 2 and 3. I don't think I would go for 1. I know everybody gets angry from time to time, but there's still a dignified way to do it. I can't stand, for example, people who "take out their anger" on other people, when the thing they're angry about isn't that person's fault. Or people who remain angry just for the sake of it, without listening to explanations or being at all interested in finding a resolution to the problem.
3) Just because you've known her the longest and if you really know her "inside out", and you still consider her a potential life partner that says something.
But she is in a foreign country so you could get to know one and two better.
Reply 8
Original post by CJKay

Are you saying that you don't think class matters, or that being connected to the Royal Family and having hereditary titles is actually a negative thing, so much that this alone would put you off her?
Personally I'd say it can be quite relevant to long term relationships and marriage etc. People from very different backgrounds and socioeconomic classes can feel like they're from totally different worlds or cultures, and each may have a tough time accommodating the other. Especially when it comes to raising a child, if you both have completely different ideas about what is socially acceptable behaviour, sufficiently acceptable aspirations etc. I'd envisage it as being a bit difficult.

Anyway, for me this would probably be a tough choice between 2 and 3. I don't think I would go for 1. I know everybody gets angry from time to time, but there's still a dignified way to do it. I can't stand, for example, people who "take out their anger" on other people, when the thing they're angry about isn't that person's fault. Or people who remain angry just for the sake of it, without listening to explanations or being at all interested in finding a resolution to the problem.

I don't know I presume you are middle class? For me maybe id have trouble discussing things with someone uneducated and not insightful or intelligent but as long as they are, It doesn't really matter which class. I think all parents should have fundamentals that cross class boundaries such as encouraging their kids to get the best education they can and achieve their potentials. And so far as social etiquette goes surely it's just fundamental to treat everyone with kindness and compassion. But then that's just me, class has never been a thing for me - I don't even know what class I am. I also think it could be a richer and useful thing to have people from two supposedly different classes. You could relate to more people, go further in life.

Also I think you're totally right about the anger issue. I mean everyone has the right to get mad sometimes if it is justified but to have the mindset where you literally won't calm down and see things in a more objective way and try to sort them out is just kind of immature and it's also very counter productive to progress. Unless you feel passionately enough about her to disregard such flaws it's probably not worth it because such early problems can manifest themselves as far greater ones later on.
#teamgirl2 definitely go for that one, 1 is a bitch and 3 is ugly
game over if you're ugly :moon:
Original post by Temporality
I don't know I presume you are middle class? For me maybe id have trouble discussing things with someone uneducated and not insightful or intelligent but as long as they are, It doesn't really matter which class. I think all parents should have fundamentals that cross class boundaries such as encouraging their kids to get the best education they can and achieve their potentials. And so far as social etiquette goes surely it's just fundamental to treat everyone with kindness and compassion. But then that's just me, class has never been a thing for me - I don't even know what class I am. I also think it could be a richer and useful thing to have people from two supposedly different classes. You could relate to more people, go further in life.

Also I think you're totally right about the anger issue. I mean everyone has the right to get mad sometimes if it is justified but to have the mindset where you literally won't calm down and see things in a more objective way and try to sort them out is just kind of immature and it's also very counter productive to progress. Unless you feel passionately enough about her to disregard such flaws it's probably not worth it because such early problems can manifest themselves as far greater ones later on.

My dad is from a poor family and my mum is from a rich family and they didn't have any issues with it tbh.
Original post by CJKay
Probably one.

:dontknow:

Three, 3/10? I don't know many 3/10s so I can only assume there'd be no physical attraction whatsoever.

Whereas for one, average intelligence and average career is fine with me, she sounds fairly aspirational, and she's hot. Why not? Only downside is she gets mad when she's mad, but so do I probably.

agreed.
Suppose you were a guy who's in his 20s. And suppose that the following three girls all wanted to be in a relationship with you. Assume that this is intended to be a long term relationship, possibly leading up to marriage.

1] Very pretty, at least 8 or 9 out of 10. You've known her for about a year. Reasonably nice person most of the time, but horrible when she's angry. Usually a bit introverted. From a humble and modest background, but looking to move up in the world. Average intelligence, and average career. About 3 or 4 years older than you.

2] Above average looking, say 6 or 7 out of 10. Seems like a nice person, but you don't know her that well just yet. Extremely educated and intelligent, with realistic aspirations to become a professor. From a very upper-class background, i.e. parents are on speaking terms with members of the Royal Family, have hereditary titles etc. One year older than you.

3] The least good-looking of the three, about 3 out of 10, but can be kind of ok if she makes an effort. She's been your friend for several years, and you both know each other inside out. Currently studies in a foreign country, but not for much longer. Above average intelligence, and looks set for quite a well respected profession. From a middle, or upper-middle class background. 4 or 5 years younger than you.

at my age id go for 3..im not hoping to get married anytime soon so the age gap is sound!p
Definitely one.

I'm with a girl because we have things in common and share attraction , her class or job isn't particularly relevant.
Reply 15
Out of curiosity, how old exactly are you OP? I'm frankly quite surprised you can't make this decision for yourself, given the fact you say you're an adult. I doubt a student forum (largely) full of teenagers will be able to help much on this.

:holmes:
None of them right now. As long as you still would want to **** her and she comes back to your country then 3. Two sounds awful tbh and one seems like you don't even want to marry her, just ****, not to mention she is older than you and beauty fades.
Original post by SarcasticMel
None of them right now. As long as you still would want to **** her and she comes back to your country then 3. Two sounds awful tbh and one seems like you don't even want to marry her, just ****, not to mention she is older than you and beauty fades.

What's so awful about #2?
Original post by Swirll
Out of curiosity, how old exactly are you OP? I'm frankly quite surprised you can't make this decision for yourself, given the fact you say you're an adult. I doubt a student forum (largely) full of teenagers will be able to help much on this.

:holmes:

I'm interested in knowing what qualities other people prioritise in their partners. I already know what I prioritise :smile:

I'd probably go for girl 1 because although I could cope with someone with an average career, there's no way I would be comfortable with a middle or upper class partner. It'd probably just not work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending