The Student Room Group

How difficult is year 2 Chemical Engineering?

I always have this panic before university begins. It happened last year too, I was afraid of falling behind everyone. I'm not naturally good nor do I particularly like maths or physics, and even now I still think at times that I did the wrong degree... However last year when things went well at times, I enjoyed it thoroughly and it felt like a great choice.. But a lot of work was needed, and second year will count towards my final degree. :s

So... What I'm trying to say is... I just want some chemical engineers who have finished second year to tell me how it's like compared to the first. Thank you :smile: :redface:
Original post by Manoftheworld1
I always have this panic before university begins. It happened last year too, I was afraid of falling behind everyone. I'm not naturally good nor do I particularly like maths or physics, and even now I still think at times that I did the wrong degree... However last year when things went well at times, I enjoyed it thoroughly and it felt like a great choice.. But a lot of work was needed, and second year will count towards my final degree. :s

So... What I'm trying to say is... I just want some chemical engineers who have finished second year to tell me how it's like compared to the first. Thank you :smile: :redface:

I would say it is quite a big jump especially if you're applying to placements, as these applications take a lot of time(i'm talking about atleast 3/4 hours for 1 application).
But it doesnt mean that you can't get a 2.1 or even a first. Work hard and everything is possible.
good luck :smile:
Original post by master_blaster66
I would say it is quite a big jump especially if you're applying to placements, as these applications take a lot of time(i'm talking about atleast 3/4 hours for 1 application).
But it doesnt mean that you can't get a 2.1 or even a first. Work hard and everything is possible.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I see you've finished second year

How was the work compared to first? A big jump up?

Also, did you apply for summer placements? :redface: When did you apply for them? :colondollar: And how can I find placements?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

mind if I ask which uni you're at?
Reply 4
Original post by master_blaster66

Hey, I'm also going into second year, just wondering if you managed to find a placement?
Thanks for the reply :smile: I see you've finished second year

How was the work compared to first? A big jump up?

Also, did you apply for summer placements? :redface: When did you apply for them? :colondollar: And how can I find placements?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

It is a lot wore work compared to first year, as now you will be developing on the stuff you've learnt in first year and learning a lot more.
I'm on the Meng course so I can also get a placement after end of third year, so I will be applying this year for placements. But i know a lot of people that ended up with a 2.2 just because they were desperate to get a placement. You should start applying now if I was you, so when exam season starts, you can only focus on your exams.
Original post by singapaul
mind if I ask which uni you're at?

I am at Loughborough
Original post by ElChapo
Hey, I'm also going into second year, just wondering if you managed to find a placement?

I will be applying this for placements
Reply 8
Its not that big a jump. Its just more of the same. What might make it appear more difficult is that many of the units may require knowledge of first year material, but tbh, they go through it again very quickly in the first few lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest