The Student Room Group

Top universities and retakes

Hey, my twin sister is hoping to read history at a top university (V100) and apply post a level. However she was only able to get ABBb. She had personal problems which meant she failed badly in her first year DEEU but was reluctant to retake the year (against the advice of tutors). Does anyone think that she stands a chance attending somewhere like KCL or nottingham if she retakes modules in January during her gap year or is she is just aiming too high?

However one of the B was achieved in one year of studying and for History (B) she is having all her modules remarked (edexcel seems to mark really harshly according to her college)
Reply 1
If she applied for joint honours at Nottingham she shouldn't have a problem.
Reply 2
If she has a legitimate excuse and she is able to push the grades, I doubt it would be a problem anywhere - but don't take my word on it - give a few admissions tutors an email! They are pretty speedy with replying (at least Warwick/KCL were with me) and seem more than happy to answer any question!
yes if she gets AAB she will get into nottingham. If she explains her reason for not achieving what she was expected to etc they will be much more willing to accomodate.

Get her to send them a friendly email asking first :smile:
Reply 4
Definately send an email to KCL to check. The official university line is that they don't accept grades gained through an extra year, but there are exceptions to this and if your sister has a good reason she may be ok. She would probably need to push both B's up to A's though.
Reply 5
i was looking at that and the only course which only accepts resits for A2 in exceptional cases is for law. BTW she suffered from clinical depression, and had family problems in the family and the row over her limited options in higher education with her A/S which seriously damaged her motivation and studying from March 2005 to practically end of 2005.

BTW Katyrouth do you study law or history ?
Reply 6
History, I'm just going into my third year at KCL. Email [email protected] and ask them; the worst that can happen is that they'll say "no chance," and then at least she won't have wasted time applying in the first place.

Latest

Trending

Trending