The Student Room Group

Non smiling girls who make an effort to not smile

It's funny, I smile at everyone, elderly people, anyone, the minute i smile at a girl who's running past, she just looks at me and blank stares into my eyes.
Seriously why can't girls here smile? If you're going to look into anyone's eyes for whatever reason, you don't just be rude and not smile. If you don't want to smile do what the rest of the world do and Gaze into space. Much more respectful.

Or am I right in saying that girls who are pretty and dress in running gear are just stuck up their own arse.

OK I can tell the difference between someone shy and looking away quick or a glace but when they maintain eye contact and have such a stubborn look, it's disheartening especially when i go out for 30 mins and spend the rest of the day inside and that's the only face i will most probably see.

Scroll to see replies

Well its a bit weird to smile at someone running who frankly most likely just wants to mind their business and continue running :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
i don't really understand how not smiling is the same as being rude. perhaps if they're giving you the evils, but otherwise i'm not seeing it
When someones running they're probably a bit busy to think about smiling .

I can see where your coming from though , girls can be incredibly conceited and rude , particularly somewhat attractive ones . Probably because they're used to being treated like royalty.
Original post by Flyingaround
It's funny, I smile at everyone, elderly people, anyone, the minute i smile at a girl who's running past, she just looks at me and blank stares into my eyes.
Seriously why can't girls here smile? If you're going to look into anyone's eyes for whatever reason, you don't just be rude and not smile. If you don't want to smile do what the rest of the world do and Gaze into space. Much more respectful.

Or am I right in saying that girls who are pretty and dress in running gear are just stuck up their own arse.

OK I can tell the difference between someone shy and looking away quick or a glace but when they maintain eye contact and have such a stubborn look, it's disheartening especially when i go out for 30 mins and spend the rest of the day inside and that's the only face i will most probably see.

Welcome to Britain dude, where no-one smiles at anyone they don;t have a life story on.

*Death glares at you*
Why is it so wrong to just want to mind your own business and not engage with anyone?
Reply 6
I'm amazed at how you've made 2 threads on TSR about what seems to be one single occurrence:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2868489

Girls - even this one girl - don't owe it to you to smile back. Grow up, so what? It's only a stranger.

And complaining about something similiar? Gee, it's almost like women aren't allowed to respond to guys hitting on them how they like or something?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2792875

Your whole posting history does explain this TBH...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2815139
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Well its a bit weird to smile at someone running who frankly most likely just wants to mind their business and continue running :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

if they're minding their own business then why do they take the time to stare into my eyes
Original post by tillytots
Why is it so wrong to just want to mind your own business and not engage with anyone?

Try minding their own business then like the rest of the world who have the respect to not even look into someone elses eyes.
Original post by Swirll
I'm amazed at how you've made 2 threads on TSR about what seems to be one single occurrence:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2868489

Girls - even this one girl - don't owe it to you to smile back at them. Grow up, so what? It's only a stranger.

And complaining about something similiar? Gee, it's almost like women aren't allowed to respond to guys hitting on them how they like or something?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2792875

Your whole posting history does explain this TBH...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2815139

Very clever you can do research, it's not about growing up it's about countless times of this happening and only in the uk...just because you're not very well travelled and a child to reply with such a grow up post. Grow up yourself and learn about other cultures.
You're also very shallow to think i was hitting on them. It's called being respecftul, try looking that up.

And what's posting all my posts meant to do? Your only reason for that is to show it off as gossip for others to have a good laugh at, that's your only goal, so i think it should be you that should grow up.
(edited 9 years ago)

Then do that and quit looking at people.
Have you noticed how guys can make friends incredibly easy , have a general sense of comradeship , call each other mate , bro etc , often get in the awkward situation of letting everyone on the bus / train etc before them , go out of their way to help people out , whereas its rare to find girls doing similar things ?

I'm not saying all girls are rude , but they're much more self interested in my honest opinion.
Then do that and quit looking at people.

They probably didn't feel at ease. Smiling at people in a culture which generally isn't accepting towards such things is weird.

I wouldn't say its outright wrong , its just unnecessarily bitchy . You live in a community ( or the remnants of one anyway ) , is it that hard to respect one another and have a sense of decorum about you ?
if they're minding their own business then why do they take the time to stare into my eyes

I think you're probably the one staring into their eyes and it'd be a bit awkward for them to just look away. Even if they stare into your eyes, they're under no obligation to smile at you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
They probably didn't feel at ease. Smiling at people in a culture which generally isn't accepting towards such things is weird.

Also, people often glance at people whom they pass. Even if they're just walking, and particularly if you're a lone female runner for whom safety is often paramount. I often look at people I pass when I'm out for a run as I've had my fair share of creeps/perverts hitting on me/following me during my workouts - generally, if a guy does something like look you up and down or make a weird kissy gesture or something, it's a sign that you have to be careful around them.

The OP's attempt to police the behaviour of random strangers whom he sees on the street is quite frankly hilarious. I might call cultural difference, if it weren't for the other thread which indicates that this is to do with women specifically.
Original post by ParadiseFound
When someones running they're probably a bit busy to think about smiling .

I can see where your coming from though , girls can be incredibly conceited and rude , particularly somewhat attractive ones . Probably because they're used to being treated like royalty.

Exactly, i understand when they look at someones face and they don't have time to respond and go past. She seemed more like a poser to be honest. There's far prettier girls in other countries which makes all this feel like a joke if they really are doing it because they think they are gods gift.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Welcome to Britain dude, where no-one smiles at anyone they don;t have a life story on.

*Death glares at you*

I mean not all british girls are like that, there has been some amazingly sweet ones who have respect for all walks of life.

nothing.

people are just desperate to be social these days...instead of on the lappies all day.
Exactly, i understand when they look at someones face and they don't have time to respond and go past. She seemed more like a poser to be honest. There's far prettier girls in other countries which makes all this feel like a joke if they really are doing it because they think they are gods gift.

I mean not all british girls are like that, there has been some amazingly sweet ones who have respect for all walks of life.

Just give up bro , I can totally get where your coming from and on the contrary I agree . But u cant go telling no independent woman what to do :rolleyes:

I guarantee if I smiled at a guy he'd smile back with no problem , I do it all the time actually . If you bump into a guy its always "oh sorry mate".

If you smile at a girl in britain she might pop out the pepper spray.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending