The Student Room Group

To whoever got a PhD or is studying for one rn:Is your stipend enough to live on?

I'm thinking of PhD's when i'm older ( a Biology one) :smile:

I'm jw, is your stipend enough to live on?

And if anyone done a Biology PhD is it really hard& was the stipend pay enough to live on?
Reply 1
I just replied in your other thread, but to answer your question, yes it is.

I get around £14,000 a year as my stipend. It's not a huge wage, but it's completely tax free, and leaves me with enough money to pay rent, living costs, and still have more than enough to live comfortably even in a very expensive area.
Reply 2
Original post by Dan1909
I just replied in your other thread, but to answer your question, yes it is.

I get around £14,000 a year as my stipend. It's not a huge wage, but it's completely tax free, and leaves me with enough money to pay rent, living costs, and still have more than enough to live comfortably even in a very expensive area.

Oh you still have some spare money to have some fun with it?:wink:

And that's really good! Thanks x hope all goes well for you in the future :3
Reply 3
The pay in academia is pretty bad at all levels, but its enough to live on (outside of London) as long as you dont have too high expectations.

For a PhD you would expect a stipend of around £14k, which is tax free and so equivalent to a gross salary of around £18k. After you finished your PhD, you would spend some years as a post-doc on a salary of around £26-32k (which is taxed). There are not many permanent academic jobs in biology and the job market is very difficult, so its likely that you would remain as a postdoc for quite some time (3-5+ years). If you eventually managed to get a permanent lectureship, your starting salary would be around £38-45k at most good Russell Groups.

Depending on your field, if you eventually end up getting a permanent job at a good university then its possible to top up your salary through private consultancy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh yes, I got a 13.5K per year stipend, I'm at the end of my PhD now and I have not been careful with money whatsoever, lived on my own at about 500 pounds per month in rent and I still have a good 6000 quid in the bank. I started my PhD 1200 in the red too. I don't own a car though, that might be important.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm starting a biology PhD and will get around £14k per year tax free. I'm pretty sure this is plenty to live on as I've been living on much less (student loans) the past few years! I think if you live in London though you should be paid more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending