The Student Room Group

Tips on how to overcome financial problems

Hello,
Money makes the world go round and sometimes we hate that, because sometimes we don’t have enough ‘cash’ to make that world go round… How to overcome these problems?
I’ve found that I was frequently trying to cope with this problem.

If you are a freshman or a student that is studying far away from home or just a simple commuter and you seem to start getting broke…
Do not panic! If you panic, you worsen the problem.
Although, this advice is given by a second year student of University. Believe me, I have faced this many times.

The first month, or first two months are the hardest.
September New textbooks, flat/dorm rent, inability to save money, peer pressure.
Basically, when you start studying in college, the first thing you will spend TONS of money will be textbooks. The worst part is that some of the teachers will use these textbooks just for a few pages or paragraphs.

Flat/dorm rent might seem scary at first sight, but you will soon get a hang of it. It just becomes natural.
Start spending less if your rent is due, or you’ve just paid the rent.

Inability to make savings The most common mistake that students make. You want to explore the town/city you that you study in. If you lack money just don’t spend them! Save them for something practical. New attire can wait a little.

Peer pressure is a money burning machine. Just say NO to parties that require spending money. Stop smoking or doing drugs (If you are doing them) and save your broke ‘Donkey’.

Thank you! I am a new guy here. Looking for some feedback!
:smile:
Reply 1
Not bad..

I'd try other sites for 'like new' books instead of buying brand new books from the university shop or local bookshops. Try Amazon and eBay, or try to loan other less 'standard' books (ie books specific for optional modules) from the university library or the local library or try e-books on the internet.

Plus if you're getting broke, think whether a night out is worth trading some of next weeks meals. Or only take a certain amount of cash and aim to only spend that much on that single night out, not forgetting the cost of a taxi.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Exodecai
Not bad..

I'd try other sites for 'like new' books instead of buying brand new books from the university shop or local bookshops. Try Amazon and eBay, or try to loan other less 'standard' books (ie books specific for optional modules) from the university library or the local library or try e-books on the internet.

Plus if you're getting broke, think whether a night out is worth trading some of next weeks meals. Or only take a certain amount of cash and aim to only spend that much on that single night out, not forgetting the cost of a taxi.

Thank you for the feedback.
Well, I am writing from my own, personal experience. Somehow I have managed without using a library, just lots of relationships with those who have spare books to borrow or to get a scanned copy.

The funny thing is that I was striving with 30 euros in my pocket for a month :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by wmx11
Thank you for the feedback.
Well, I am writing from my own, personal experience. Somehow I have managed without using a library, just lots of relationships with those who have spare books to borrow or to get a scanned copy.

The funny thing is that I was striving with 30 euros in my pocket for a month :biggrin:

I'm not a real fresher yet as I move in on Saturday but I've already saved £40 just on one book for my course through eBay ("like new" instead of new though).

I feel like most people don't have those book contacts. :tongue:

I suppose you can ask yourself if you really need something rather than something you just want. Usually works for non-essential things like DVDs, CDs, clothes etc
Reply 4
The problem is that the 'freshers' need time to adapt to the new style of life. They are curious to try out new things, so they spend lots of money during the first months :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending