The Student Room Group

Cambridge colleges not replying to enquiries - a bad sign?

Hey guys

As per the title, I have e-mailed to several Cambridge colleges to enquire on the application processes. Most of them replied within two weeks or so, but there are a few who have not yet replied to my enquiry. Some colleges have not yet replied for months, despite me re-sending the email again a few months after!

Is it a bad sign that the College kind of 'hates' me? None of the questions asked were 'whiny' of nature (e.g. begging for insider info). It's just questions pertaining interview processes for overseas and any differences (e.g. lack of tests) to the ones held at Cambridge.
Original post by SkatyBoy
Hey guys

As per the title, I have e-mailed to several Cambridge colleges to enquire on the application processes. Most of them replied within two weeks or so, but there are a few who have not yet replied to my enquiry. Some colleges have not yet replied for months, despite me re-sending the email again a few months after!

Is it a bad sign that the College kind of 'hates' me? None of the questions asked were 'whiny' of nature (e.g. begging for insider info). It's just questions pertaining interview processes for overseas and any differences (e.g. lack of tests) to the ones held at Cambridge.
In my view, it's a bad sign about the colleges. It indicates disorganisation and aloofness.

Choose a college which actually replied.
Reply 2
Original post by mariachi
In my view, it's a bad sign about the colleges. It indicates disorganisation and aloofness.

Choose a college which actually replied.

Hmm, that will mean choosing a college that is quite not my tastes (esp reading the Pros and Cons and their entry requirements).

For some reason, the colleges that I like are the ones not responding to emails.
Original post by SkatyBoy
Hmm, that will mean choosing a college that is quite not my tastes (esp reading the Pros and Cons and their entry requirements).

For some reason, the colleges that I like are the ones not responding to emails.

You shouldn't take entry requirements into consideration when choosing your college. Just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Bear in mind that emailing them over the past few months is not a good time; many admissions offices would either have been closed for the summer or swamped in emails from this year's freshers and/or students enquiring about missed grades. Many universities around the country are in this situation, and it's rather silly to judge the merit of an application on the speed of the admissions officers. Did you at any point try to ring them up?

Also, look out for the Admissions Officer who opens a Q&A thread every now and then in these forums; they'll probably be around to answer your questions soon (and are a very useful resource).
Reply 5
Original post by Cameron.M
You shouldn't take entry requirements into consideration when choosing your college. Just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, but some colleges desire certain subjects that I may not have took. All colleges prefer (not a must, but it is taken into account when choosing who to offer to) Further Maths for my chosen subject, however, the Singapore A Levels does not have Further Maths as a subject at all. Though I checked with Cambridge and they said that they do not take into consideration, if it was not possible to take the subject through my exam syndicate.

Original post by dlaiden
Bear in mind that emailing them over the past few months is not a good time; many admissions offices would either have been closed for the summer or swamped in emails from this year's freshers and/or students enquiring about missed grades. Many universities around the country are in this situation, and it's rather silly to judge the merit of an application on the speed of the admissions officers. Did you at any point try to ring them up?

Also, look out for the Admissions Officer who opens a Q&A thread every now and then in these forums; they'll probably be around to answer your questions soon (and are a very useful resource).

I thought that since Cambridge does not do Clearing and applicants who missed grades would have a slim chance at the summer pool, they wouldn't be quite busy, as opposed to now. Also, I know its silly, but it is even sillier to submit an application to a college that you don't have any idea of.

Now that you have mentioned it, good idea, I'll try ringing them up. Though it's too late, as I have sent in my UCAS application. However, it's good to know their stance on my questions.

I just applied to the college that didn't reply, because it felt that it kinda suits my tastes (through browsing their prospectus). I'll just have to cross my fingers that I have not made a bad impression through the enquiry.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending