The Student Room Group

Got cdee as grades, no chance of medicine?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TiredIDCneedanA
I saw and chose to ignore. My grades are good enough, otherwise why else would I be considering medicine? :K:

Because if we know what your GCSE grades are we might be able to further evaluate your position. If you have grades which are just 'good enough' this may not be enough... if you have 99 A*s though you'll probably be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
I saw and chose to ignore. My grades are good enough, otherwise why else would I be considering medicine? :K:

Rather ironic as your AS grades are clearly not good enough, and yet you're considering medicine...
Original post by Uosaf
Dua/Prayer isn't going to work. No offence to you or your religion.
That was probably why you didn't do so well as AS. The only way to get good grades at A level it to work hard throughout the year and to practise exam technique. 'Miracles' aren't that common unfortunately.

How much do you actually want to do Medicine? Im only asking because you mentioned that you 'could've worked harder'. Surely if it's been your 'life long dream' you must've had an idea to how competitive entry to medicine was and you would have worked as hard as you could?
However if there was extenuating circumstances then I understand and so will Universities, as long as you provide them with sufficient proof. E.g from your referee or your GP.

But as other people have said, it's not the end of the road.
You could do all your a levels and any resits this year and try to get your grades and apply next year. Or go for graduate entry. (Both choices being extremely difficult to accomplish, but not impossible.)

Sorry if I seem harsh, I'm just being honest.

Best of luck!

Thanks! but a little faith goes a long way in my opinion
Reply 23
hey!i also wanted to medicine (not anymore lol). Listen my friend did reaaaaaaaaally bad in AS january exams...resat and did great :smile: AAAA i think in AS and she got no offers from medical schools.
then at A2 she got A*s and a university gave her a chance to start in september ! so hope is not lost... work your socks off! what have you got to lose really?
wowowow, I asked for opinions, "do i still have a chance?", simply a yes or no with a little explanation would've been enough, whether or not I choose to carry on is my choice at the end of the day. But some of you guys are coming off a bit pretentious and rude, thanks if that was your way of helping but you can stop now.
Thanks! but a little faith goes a long way in my opinion

That's your opinion. But statistics, facts and common sense show/say that actually working hard goes an even longer way.

I have no faith, and i'm doing just fine. :wink:

:smile:
wowowow, I asked for opinions, "do i still have a chance?", simply a yes or no with a little explanation would've been enough, whether or not I choose to carry on is my choice at the end of the day. But some of you guys are coming off a bit pretentious and rude, thanks if that was your way of helping but you can stop now.

I don't think you care what any of us have to say. You want us to tell you everything's going to be fine. You seem set in your mindset that you're going to be fine when we're trying to bring you back down to reality. It's not impossible, but it's going to be really tough and some people here have given some good advice such as applying for graduate medicine, taking a gap year etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
So, do you have a chance? Yes, there are always chances, but some are bigger than others and unfortunately yours is on the smaller side.
Original post by GEEKHELP
hey!i also wanted to medicine (not anymore lol). Listen my friend did reaaaaaaaaally bad in AS january exams...resat and did great :smile: AAAA i think in AS and she got no offers from medical schools.
then at A2 she got A*s and a university gave her a chance to start in september ! so hope is not lost... work your socks off! what have you got to lose really?

That's nice to hear, good for her! you're right, thanks for the advice :smile:

Hi mate :smile:

People aren't being horrid they are just being honest

To be within a good shot first time round you really could do with
A good few A*s at GCSE
Good enough ASs to be predicted AAA (normal AABB+)
Plenty of work experience
A fab PS
Strong ukcat score

I had 7A* 4A at GCSE, AAAB at AS predictions of A*A*A and 733 in my ukcat
That sounds good but for a medical applicant I was far from the top

I managed to get one offer.

it's very very unlikely your school will predict you the AAA that you NEED to apply (unless you have extenuating circumstances or something)

If it's your dream you will work your socks off this year and aim for AAA, retaking most modules.
You can then take a gap year and reapply

Grad medicine is another more lengthy option

What are your gcses and how about work experience etc? Also can I ask what subjects you did?

Good luck :smile: Any questions feel free to PM or quote me

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RobertWhite
So, do you have a chance? Yes, there are always chances, but some are bigger than others and unfortunately yours is on the smaller side.

I understand that, it's nice to know I still have a chance, and I am planning to take that advice on board but i need that mindset for myself because if not I'll be giving up altogether, which isn't what I want, you know what I mean? Thanks anyway
I understand that, it's nice to know I still have a chance, and I am planning to take that advice on board but i need that mindset for myself because if not I'll be giving up altogether, which isn't what I want, you know what I mean? Thanks anyway

You certainly have a chance for medicine just not really for 2015 entry :smile:
But you are going to have to work REALLY hard this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you :smile: my main goal is still medicine, but nicest answer so far!

Medicine is my main choice as well. But it is not a bad idea to have a 'back-up'.

I hope you do get into what you want, but be realistic and look into other options - healthcare is so vast - you may be surprised to find a career that you may like the sound of more!

Good Luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
As others have said your chances are extremely slim and basically non-existent if you want to get into a top medical school. I mean realistically who would you choose? A student who got AAAA at AS or CDEE but says they will work harder? I'm sorry if this is harsh but it is the truth.

However, there are other factors to your application. You really should say your GCSE grades. If they are all A*s then that's great, if they are not all As and A*s, combined with your AS levels then that's a problem. Also have you done any work experience? If so...where and how much? Have you done, or are you planning on doing the BMAT test? If yes, what score did you get?

If you have straight A*s, an amazingly high score on the BMAT tonnes of work experience and an amazing personal statement and reference then yes you have a chance...still not great. You have to look at why you got CDEE and will you realistically be able to improve to AAA+ considering you are doing harder content and more of it (if you are retaking). Sorry if this sounds harsh but you need the truth. However if you work really hard and do get good grades you can always take a gap year (get more experience) and apply the following year with a super strong application! :smile:

Good luck!
no chance, sorry
Any chance you have is extremely slim. It's probably best to go for graduate medicine or apply next year with vastly improved grades. Unless you know you can do this, don't set your heart on it. Medicine is very competitive course.
I know this sounds harsh but I'd forget it mate... CDEE would be hard enough to bring up to ABB nevermind AAA... :P You hear about all these clever dicks that are getting 9A*s+, 4As and A*AA predictions and even they're not all getting offers... :/ Maybe you could try pharmacology? That's making the drugs for medicine and it's a very good employable degree to have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending