The Student Room Group

How competitive is paramedic science?

I was wondering is Paramedic science more competitive than medicine? i just thought its an alternative to being a doctor because of how hard it is getting into medicine? advice please?
Reply 1
Original post by Wardaa_
I was wondering is Paramedic science more competitive than medicine? i just thought its an alternative to being a doctor because of how hard it is getting into medicine? advice please?

Very little is as competitive as Medicine.

If you're looking to choose something that might open up Grad Entry for you later, you need to take care to choose a course which is at an appropriate academic level.
Reply 2
Original post by Ronove
Very little is as competitive as Medicine.

If you're looking to choose something that might open up Grad Entry for you later, you need to take care to choose a course which is at an appropriate academic level.
oh i see, isn't it as good as medicine though?
Reply 3
Original post by Wardaa_
oh i see, isn't it as good as medicine though?

As good as medicine with respect to...?

Why are you pursuing courses based in how "easy" it is to get in/competition ratios?
Reply 4
Original post by Zorg
As good as medicine with respect to...?

Why are you pursuing courses based in how "easy" it is to get in/competition ratios?

Because I don't think i stand a chance in even getting on to the medicine course as other students seem to have way better academical stats than me and they get rejected so i dont see how i would stand a chance at all with 6 A*s at gcse and currently taking my As levels. Even if i explained on my personal statement why i only have 6 gcses i dont think it would be taken into consideration as its so competitive and most medical schools look at flaws and dont want an explanation..
Reply 5
Original post by Wardaa_
Because I don't think i stand a chance in even getting on to the medicine course as other students seem to have way better academical stats than me and they get rejected so i dont see how i would stand a chance at all with 6 A*s at gcse and currently taking my As levels. Even if i explained on my personal statement why i only have 6 gcses i dont think it would be taken into consideration as its so competitive and most medical schools look at flaws and dont want an explanation..

That's a pretty uncommon situation. Maybe email medical schools asking how they would feel receiving an application from such a candidate. You don't know some may consider it, some may ask you to take a foundation year. Worst they can do is say no, but that's ok; there's another ~29 medical schools to ask :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Zorg
That's a pretty uncommon situation. Maybe email medical schools asking how they would feel receiving an application from such a candidate. You don't know some may consider it, some may ask you to take a foundation year. Worst they can do is say no, but that's ok; there's another ~29 medical schools to ask :wink:

Yeah I will ask and a foundation year? I've never heard of it can you tell me more? Isit a lower version of standard medicine because I'm not looking for that but what if I got great A levels and tons of experience and a great UKCAT score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Wardaa_
Yeah I will ask and a foundation year? I've never heard of it can you tell me more? Isit a lower version of standard medicine because I'm not looking for that but what if I got great A levels and tons of experience and a great UKCAT score?

I wouldn't be able to say whether you'd get in or not if you excelled everywhere else. Some certainly do, but they usually offer more than just 6 GCSEs so that's why I'd contact medical schools directly.
Foundation years are slightly different. It's an extra year to your medical degree to get your scientific knowledge up to scratch. The entry criteria is not just about grades, experience and entrance exams but also your socio-economic circumstances, so you may or may not be eligible.
Get an answer from medical schools first.
Reply 8
Original post by Wardaa_

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really need to be emailing med schools and finding out whether you would be at a disadvantage with just 6 GCSEs despite whatever extenuating circumstances you might have, long before thinking about Medicine with a Foundation Year etc. You might find you stand as good a chance as anyone (though I would be very careful about applying to places that use a number of GCSEs at A* etc when ranking applicants, unless I had a very clear written confirmation that I would stand as good a chance as anyone else).
Reply 9
Original post by Zorg
I wouldn't be able to say whether you'd get in or not if you excelled everywhere else. Some certainly do, but they usually offer more than just 6 GCSEs so that's why I'd contact medical schools directly.
Foundation years are slightly different. It's an extra year to your medical degree to get your scientific knowledge up to scratch. The entry criteria is not just about grades, experience and entrance exams but also your socio-economic circumstances, so you may or may not be eligible.
Get an answer from medical schools first.

Yeah I will do so hopefully, all I need is to secure that interview and just give it my all .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply