The Student Room Group

Ionic equations

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
But the 3rd equation is the result of cancelling out the spectator ions.

Ah, I see at last what it means. I have no questions. Thanks for your statements!
Reply 41
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
OK, so first let's write out the equation:

1) Na2CO3 + 2HNO3 ------> 2NaNO3 + H2O + CO2

Now let's separate everything into its constituent ions:

2) 2Na+ + CO32- + 2H+ + 2NO3- ------> 2Na+ + 2NO3- + H2O + CO2

Now, ions or species which are on both sides of the arrow can be cancelled therefore final answer is:

3) CO32- + 2H+ ----> H2O + CO2.

Try this method with the HCl example and quote me if you're having problems :smile:

Ok, for the HCL one:

balanced equation: CuO(s)+2HCl(aq)---->CuCl2(aq)+H2O(l)
Is CuO solid state symbol since it's not soluble. Also, am I supposed to know it's insoluble and it won't dissociate into ions? Is there a rule for knowing when they do or don't when writing out ionic equations? Since CuCl is soluble, am I right in breaking that into ions?

Ionic equation: CuO+2H(+)+2Cl(-)----->Cu(2+)+2Cl(-)+H2O(l)
Final equation: CuO(s)+2H(+)---->Cu(2+)+H2O(l)

Is this correct or completely wrong?
Reply 42
One I'm finding quite difficult is the reaction between Sodium sulfate and barium chloride:
Ba2+ + 2Cl- + 2Na+ + SO4-2 -------> Ba2+ + 2SO4-2 + 2Na+ + 2Cl-

All ions are present on both sides, how do I know which are spectators and which aren't?
Original post by Year11guy
One I'm finding quite difficult is the reaction between Sodium sulfate and barium chloride:

All ions are present on both sides, how do I know which are spectators and which aren't?

I'm going to try and help based on what I did in Chemistry A Level a couple of years ago.

On the right you've just added in an extra SO42- out of nowhere.

If I remember:
BaCl2 + Na2SO4 --> BaSO4 + 2NaCl

So the ionic equation, including spectators, would be:

Ba2+ + 2Cl- + 2Na+ + SO42- -------> BaSO4 + 2Na+ + 2Cl-

This is the same equation as the one you wrote; except that (a) the extra SO42- has been removed, and (b) I've not ionised the BaSO4​, as it is a solid. Now I'll let you remove the spectators and come up with an ionic equation. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by spotify95
I'm going to try and help based on what I did in Chemistry A Level a couple of years ago.

On the right you've just added in an extra SO42- out of nowhere.

If I remember:
BaCl2 + Na2SO4 --> BaSO4 + 2NaCl

So the ionic equation, including spectators, would be:

Ba2+ + 2Cl- + 2Na+ + SO42- -------> BaSO4 + 2Na+ + 2Cl-

This is the same equation as the one you wrote; except that (a) the extra SO42- has been removed, and (b) I've not ionised the BaSO4​, as it is a solid. Now I'll let you remove the spectators and come up with an ionic equation. :smile:

Thanks, the extra sulfate ion was a typo. The reason I couldn't do this was because BaSO4 is insoluble. Will there always be at least 1 compound which is either insoluble or non ionic?

The ionic equation should be:
Ba(2+)+SO4(2-)--->BaSO4(s)
Thanks, the extra sulfate ion was a typo. The reason I couldn't do this was because BaSO4 is insoluble. Will there always be at least 1 compound which is either insoluble or non ionic?

The ionic equation should be:
Ba(2+)+SO4(2-)--->BaSO4(s)

I can't remember whether this is the case or not, but it may help to write the states of each ion or compound, to help.

Though chances are there would be - otherwise all of the ions would be the same each side of the arrow.

Hope I've helped!

Edit: Just checked and you have got the correct equation. :smile:
Reply 46
I can't remember whether this is the case or not, but it may help to write the states of each ion or compound, to help.

Though chances are there would be - otherwise all of the ions would be the same each side of the arrow.

Hope I've helped!

Edit: Just checked and you have got the correct equation. :smile:

Thanks for your help and everyone else who contributed.
Reply 47

Looks OK to me.
Reply 48

In such cases think about solubility rules. Sometimes there is no reaction at all.
Original post by Borek
In such cases think about solubility rules. Sometimes there is no reaction at all.

Just replied earlier in that the BaSo4 is a solid and is thus insoluble.

OP: if you have any more questions just ask!
Ok, for the HCL one:

balanced equation: CuO(s)+2HCl(aq)---->CuCl2(aq)+H2O(l)
Is CuO solid state symbol since it's not soluble. Also, am I supposed to know it's insoluble and it won't dissociate into ions? Is there a rule for knowing when they do or don't when writing out ionic equations? Since CuCl is soluble, am I right in breaking that into ions?

That is correct :smile:
Reply 51
Just replied earlier in that the BaSo4 is a solid and is thus insoluble.

Yes, but checking solubility rules gives a general method, that can be applied to any reaction.
Original post by Borek
Yes, but checking solubility rules gives a general method, that can be applied to any reaction.

I do remember that there were solubility rules but can't remember the specifics as it was about 2 to 3 years ago that I did my A Level Chemistry.
Reply 53
I do remember that there were solubility rules but can't remember the specifics as it was about 2 to 3 years ago that I did my A Level Chemistry.

It's Ok, I can look them up myself. I remember most of them anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest