The Student Room Group

Possibly illegally working at Kumon

I emailed Kumon asking if they have any vacancies and they said to send in my CV. When I did they said to come in on Monday (today).

I thought I was going to have an informal interview or something but no when I went in today I found out that I start work today.

I stayed for three hours, marking children's work and then I said I had to leave now and they let me go.

Did I just work for free? Am I not going to be paid? What the actual f was that? She didn't ask for any bank details or anything.

Have you Kumon workers (preferably classroom assistants) ever experienced anything like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn't even sign in and out so how will she remember how many hours I worked?
Original post by Da Di Doo
I emailed Kumon asking if they have any vacancies and they said to send in my CV. When I did they said to come in on Monday (today).

I thought I was going to have an informal interview or something but no when I went in today I found out that I start work today.

I stayed for three hours, marking children's work and then I said I had to leave now and they let me go.

Did I just work for free? Am I not going to be paid? What the actual f was that? She didn't ask for any bank details or anything.

Have you Kumon workers (preferably classroom assistants) ever experienced anything like this?

Not a kumon employee but sounds dodgy. Do you have a number you can call, either the place you worked at or the official head office?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by liomeeringca
Not a kumon employee but sounds dodgy. Do you have a number you can call, either the place you worked at or the official head office?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have a number but what shall I say after I call? I don't want to seem like I'm desperate for money.

Next time I go I'm just gonna write cusswords on the kids' homework so Kumon gets in trouble and then I will quit.

How dare they make me work for free.
Yeah I have a number but what shall I say after I call? I don't want to seem like I'm desperate for money.

Next time I go I'm just gonna write cusswords on the kids' homework so Kumon gets in trouble and then I will quit.

How dare they make me work for free.

I would ask what the deal was with today, is that the normal hours/schedule, when is the next day to work, if there isn't one ask when you will be paid for your time, if they get sketchy become more assertive. Escalate it if you know where/who to go to, no one likes to know they'll be in trouble with the powers that be.

You're not desperate for money, it seems that you've been duped.

If you can, maybe email as you'll have a record of communication should things get sketchy once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm sorry but you sound like an idiot.

Why are you making a forum post asking these questions, rather than querying what the process was during the THREE HOURS you spent there?

Why on earth would you write profanities on children's work regardless of this?

I suspect you're a troll, as I can't imagine why else you would make such statements.
Original post by M1011
I'm sorry but you sound like an idiot.

Why are you making a forum post asking these questions, rather than querying what the process was during the THREE HOURS you spent there?

Why on earth would you write profanities on children's work regardless of this?

I suspect you're a troll, as I can't imagine why else you would make such statements.

She has 270 posts and why would she go to the trouble of making this story up?
(edited 9 years ago)
Eeesh. Giving Kumon the benefit of the doubt here, maybe they got their wires crossed and presumed you knew it was a trial shift. It's easy to say "why didn't you say anything at the time?" but when you're in that situation you don't think to be like, "er, excuse me!? What's the dealio here?" you just get on with it, so don't feel like a mug.

If you are interested in the job, call up and tell them you enjoyed spending time tutoring the children and wanted to get in contact to see what the next steps are. Also, you're well within your right to ask to be compensated for your time.
If you're not interested in the job, call up and explain that you were confused with the initial so called interview and ask to be compensated for the 3 hours you were there tutoring.

From personal experience (working a trial shift at a pub), these people are probably more than happy not to pay you but will be more than happy to pay if you bring it up with them. I feel like they were short staffed and tried to pull a fast one!
Reply 8
Original post by mrocd2014

I'm sorry I don't follow. Are you implying a moderately low post count indicates a lack of creativity?

I'm basing my comment on the original post. Either the OP is A) a bit moronic or B) a troll. How can someone complain about not being told the answer to a question she hasn't asked?!
Hi this happened to me on the first day they like to see if you can understand and get comfortable with the job, and then the next week when you officially start they will ask you to bring your bank details etc. If the next time she doesn't do this then something is wrong. Out of interest which Kumon Center are you at?
Reply 10
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi this happened to me on the first day they like to see if you can understand and get comfortable with the job, and then the next week when you officially start they will ask you to bring your bank details etc. If the next time she doesn't do this then something is wrong. Out of interest which Kumon Center are you at?

Whitton

Original post by jrherrera
Eeesh. Giving Kumon the benefit of the doubt here, maybe they got their wires crossed and presumed you knew it was a trial shift. It's easy to say "why didn't you say anything at the time?" but when you're in that situation you don't think to be like, "er, excuse me!? What's the dealio here?" you just get on with it, so don't feel like a mug.

If you are interested in the job, call up and tell them you enjoyed spending time tutoring the children and wanted to get in contact to see what the next steps are. Also, you're well within your right to ask to be compensated for your time.
If you're not interested in the job, call up and explain that you were confused with the initial so called interview and ask to be compensated for the 3 hours you were there tutoring.

From personal experience (working a trial shift at a pub), these people are probably more than happy not to pay you but will be more than happy to pay if you bring it up with them. I feel like they were short staffed and tried to pull a fast one!

Yeah it was a trial shift thakfully.
Hahaha, I wasn't worried until I got home because I never had a job before so didn't know what the process was like but after I got home and told my Mum about it she told me that they were being dodgy and they shouldn't have done that, maybe they won't pay me... Etc

Original post by mrocd2014

Thank you :smile:

Original post by liomeeringca
I would ask what the deal was with today, is that the normal hours/schedule, when is the next day to work, if there isn't one ask when you will be paid for your time, if they get sketchy become more assertive. Escalate it if you know where/who to go to, no one likes to know they'll be in trouble with the powers that be.

You're not desperate for money, it seems that you've been duped.

If you can, maybe email as you'll have a record of communication should things get sketchy once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thank you. After I emailed the instructor she told me it was a trial shift just to see how I get on with kids.
Reply 11
Yeah thank you. After I emailed the instructor she told me it was a trial shift just to see how I get on with kids.

Congratulations. You managed to slander the companies name over a question you never bothered to ask, which was apparently answered as soon as you did ask.

Sigh...
Reply 12
Original post by M1011
Congratulations. You managed to slander the companies name over a question you never bothered to ask, which was apparently answered as soon as you did ask.

Sigh...

Employee of the year goes to...
Reply 13
Original post by M1011

Sigh...

Kumon doesn't need my help with slandering their name. It's already pretty well hated without my help.

Parents are wasting their money by sending their children to this centre. It does nothing to help English and it only helps with basic Maths.
only helps with basic Maths.

Lol. Come back to me when you try Level J and above :rofl:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by karmacrunch
Lol. Come back to me when you try Level J+ :rofl:

Hahaahah, you go to Kumon?

Kid, save your money, quit Kumon. If you need help with Maths then go to any other teaching programme.
Hahaahah, you go to Kumon?

Kid, save your money, quit Kumon. If you need help with Maths then go to any other teaching programme.

I'm good thanks. :wink:
Original post by Arithmeticae
yep, i was forced to go there ages ago and all i remember was doing tons of mind numbing problems and not actually learning anything

Maybe it helps some and not others. It's helped some of my friends and I. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kumon doesn't need my help with slandering their name. It's already pretty well hated without my help.

Parents are wasting their money by sending their children to this centre. It does nothing to help English and it only helps with basic Maths.

Loooooooooool you really couldn't be any further from the truth. Brb whilst I die from laughter :lol: :rofl:
Original post by Arithmeticae
yep, i was forced to go there ages ago and all i remember was doing tons of mind numbing problems and not actually learning anything

It's really useful when you get higher up. Though some of their methods were seriously ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending