The Student Room Group

What are UCAS Points - for uni??

whats the highest number of points you can get?
any details please contribute! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by STUDYREVISE

You get them for your A-levels mainly - and occasional other qualification if you have them. They used to be used for university entry, but more places have switched to the grade system now.

300 points would give you the flexibility to get ABC, or BBB - whereas a grade offer now restricts you to getting BBB and therefore by getting ABC you've missed your offer. They often specify it as "from at least 2 GCE A-levels" or "from a maximum of three GCE A-levels" type thing.

There's a whole list of qualifications and the UCAS points you get on the UCAS website.
Original post by Nymthae
You get them for your A-levels mainly - and occasional other qualification if you have them. They used to be used for university entry, but more places have switched to the grade system now.

300 points would give you the flexibility to get ABC, or BBB - whereas a grade offer now restricts you to getting BBB and therefore by getting ABC you've missed your offer. They often specify it as "from at least 2 GCE A-levels" or "from a maximum of three GCE A-levels" type thing.

There's a whole list of qualifications and the UCAS points you get on the UCAS website.

is this the right page?::
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables
Reply 3

There was that lad in India about 3 years ago who got (something like) 21 As and 2 Bs at A level. That would give him 2820.

Most years at my school there are a few students who get 800+, but getting 900 is extremely rare.

800+: A*A*A*A*A* plus A* in EPQ plus a couple of As at AS=890. Allow for the odd dropped grade or missing AS and you can still get over 800.
Reply 5

That's the one.

Technically you can just keep getting qualifications to bump up UCAS points, although there's very little point to that. From three, your max is 420 (A*A*A*) with AAA being 360.

On grad scheme applications the top end that's ever been selectable is just "360+" but around ~300 is a reasonable common minimum they're looking for. It's only really very large companies that seem to impose any restrictions like that though, just so they have something else to reduce the volume of applicants easily.
Original post by Nymthae
That's the one.

Technically you can just keep getting qualifications to bump up UCAS points, although there's very little point to that. From three, your max is 420 (A*A*A*) with AAA being 360.

On grad scheme applications the top end that's ever been selectable is just "360+" but around ~300 is a reasonable common minimum they're looking for. It's only really very large companies that seem to impose any restrictions like that though, just so they have something else to reduce the volume of applicants easily.

Okay, so an AAB would be...
360?
I'm not sure if I worked it out right...
Reply 7
Okay, so an AAB would be...
360?
I'm not sure if I worked it out right...

120+120+100=340
Original post by Compost
120+120+100=340

:rolleyes: thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest