The Student Room Group

Need help with choices

GCSE: 5A* 3.5A 1B
Achieved A-Levels: A*AAb
UKCAT:620 :frown:

Doing the BMAT

My current thoughts are Liverpool, Cardiff and BSMS but am stuck for a 4th choice, any suggestions would be massively appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Jimbob995

Doing the BMAT

My current thoughts are Liverpool, Cardiff and BSMS but am stuck for a 4th choice, any suggestions would be massively appreciated :smile:

Have a look at Aberdeen/UEA/St George's/Bristol (although this should be in place of Liverpool as applying to more than one non-UKcAT Uni can be a risk!)
Reply 2
Original post by 2018
Have a look at Aberdeen/UEA/St George's/Bristol (although this should be in place of Liverpool as applying to more than one non-UKcAT Uni can be a risk!)

Thanks, do Aberdeen not look at the ukcat to much then?
Reply 3

Doing the BMAT

I think you may be a bit on the low side for Cardiff in terms of gcse's Lancaster could be a better choice or St George's should definitely be a choice for you if you got over 500 in each ukcat section?
Why not Leeds of you're doing BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks, do Aberdeen not look at the ukcat to much then?

No. They don't use a cut-off and people were made offers with scores as low as 2390! Deffinitely worth an application :smile: dundee might also be worth looking into!
Reply 5
Original post by em.d_4
I think you may be a bit on the low side for Cardiff in terms of gcse's Lancaster could be a better choice or St George's should definitely be a choice for you if you got over 500 in each ukcat section?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought st George's had a cut off of around 630? And with cardiff I get extra points for my achieved alevels which gives me 25 points, the woman in admissions said they recommend 23-24 points, do you think I should still apply there?
Reply 6
Original post by 2018
No. They don't use a cut-off and people were made offers with scores as low as 2390! Deffinitely worth an application :smile: dundee might also be worth looking into!

Do they look at PS, because my academics are pretty average?
Reply 7
Your academics are good! You should be safe there. Like said above seriously consider Leeds and also QUB as you have achieved A2s which they like. As for the others i think you should look to pick from Cardiff/Bristol/St George's/BSMS. It's a big decision but you'll get there!
Reply 8
Original post by em.d_4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh.sorry totally brain blanked on the achieved a levels yeah thatd be fine :smile: it's pretty clear.on.the st Georges website.but I think last year you needed about 640 and with scores being down this year it's a decent possibility.
Also seeing as you have achieved a levels you know you'd havr a guarunteed interview at QUB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by em.d_4
Oh.sorry totally brain blanked on the achieved a levels yeah thatd be fine :smile: it's pretty clear.on.the st Georges website.but I think last year you needed about 640 and with scores being down this year it's a decent possibility.
Also seeing as you have achieved a levels you know you'd havr a guarunteed interview at QUB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read you needed an A at AS level though for that to apply :frown:
Reply 10
I read you needed an A at AS level though for that to apply :frown:

At QUB? Naa to my undrrstandiylng AAA or higher at a2 gets full marks academically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by em.d_4
At QUB? Naa to my undrrstandiylng AAA or higher at a2 gets full marks academically

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was on their website:

Those who have already achieved AAA at A-level plus A in a fourth AS and have satisfied the subject requirements will be awarded 36 points at Stage One. Points will then be awarded according to performance in UKCAT to give an overall score for shortlisting purposes. UKCAT must be retaken as it is only valid for one application cycle.
Reply 12
This was on their website:

Those who have already achieved AAA at A-level plus A in a fourth AS and have satisfied the subject requirements will be awarded 36 points at Stage One. Points will then be awarded according to performance in UKCAT to give an overall score for shortlisting purposes. UKCAT must be retaken as it is only valid for one application cycle.

Hmm interesting I had a B at AS and am going there this year so that is very surprising to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by em.d_4
Hmm interesting I had a B at AS and am going there this year so that is very surprising to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? I'll give them a call tomorrow and check. Thanks for all your help though :smile:

Quick Reply