The Student Room Group

Girls - Do you judge men by their appearance (clothes wise)

The topic is self explanatory (if you read the title)

Personally, I often am 'insecure' about what I wear because I may have a couple of girls looking at me but don't want to talk because of what I wear. I no longer have a part time job so I'm living with my parents expenses. I don't want to abuse my parent's money so I go to Primark and buy plain white tees.

Do you care if a guy wears the same jeans like 2/3 days in a row?
Do you care if a guy has only 3/4 pairs of footwear?

Scroll to see replies

Jeans and shoes don't really matter, as they don't get dirty too easily, top halfs do.

I think it's better to go with a win win combo i.e good fitting jeans,nice shoes and a t-shirt if you don't know much about fashion as it rarely fails.

A guy in a nice suit though :sexface:
Reply 2
I'm sure they do :biggrin:
High end and expensive premium labels won't exist for men if they didn't :biggrin:
I don't really care about the quality of clothes. It's more the style. I can't stand it when guys completely disregard fashion... Eg, wearing flared jeans or horrible 'dad' clothes in their 20s. I know that's shallow, but I like a guy with at least an iota of fashion sense!
Reply 5
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I don't really care about the quality of clothes. It's more the style. I can't stand it when guys completely disregard fashion... Eg, wearing flared jeans or horrible 'dad' clothes in their 20s. I know that's shallow, but I like a guy with at least an iota of fashion sense!

Some dads might be really cool.
Original post by Clip
Some dads might be really cool.

Haha! I suppose. You know what I mean though...:tongue:
Reply 7
Wear a suit 24/7 :wink:
It annoys me that guys even have to think like this, sad that society places so much emphasis on 'fashion', and it's not even needed, but then again wearing clothes can be a way to express yourself.

To be honest, a lot of girls care about fashion because it shows them that the guys can take care of themselves and it just leaves a good impression.
Reply 9
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Haha! I suppose. You know what I mean though...:tongue:

Is there a difference between "dad", "grandad" and "uncle" looks? Which one is the cardigan?
Original post by RemiMarcelle
It annoys me that guys even have to think like this, sad that society places so much emphasis on 'fashion', and it's not even needed, but then again wearing clothes can be a way to express yourself.

To be honest, a lot of girls care about fashion because it shows them that the guys can take care of themselves and it just leaves a good impression.

*Reads post* *looks at avatar* :rolleyes:
Original post by Clip
Is there a difference between "dad", "grandad" and "uncle" looks? Which one is the cardigan?

Grandad is more cardigan, Dad and Uncle are more jumper because they still have the flexibility to put them on :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Personally, I often am 'insecure' about what I wear because I may have a couple of girls looking at me but don't want to talk because of what I wear. I no longer have a part time job so I'm living with my parents expenses. I don't want to abuse my parent's money so I go to Primark and buy plain white tees.

The amount of footwear you currently have and the fact that you wear same jeans for days in a row, is really insignificant to anyone, other than some fashionistic a-holes maybe.

Girls like confidence.

Having your clothes ironed, tidy and clean. Is a big plus, cuz then it looks like you have **** together, but maybe you don't care that much about clothes if you wear same most the time. That doesn't sound like it'd be an issue.

Obviously wearing nice clothes looks better, so I'd look out for some clearances, deals and get less but better quality clothes than ones from primark if I was you, cuz clothes from there don't last that long.
Reply 13
girls and women generally do judge people on what they wear but so do most men as well. I personally dont think there is anything wrong with Primark's clothes they generally do some nice outfits but you need to mix and match a bit. As long as they are clean and are ironed it is all good.:smile:

I like guys who dress well. That doesn't mean guys have to have a closet full of clothes (definitely not more clothes than me!!). They just need to wear what they have well. Don't clash colours. Plain white tees and blue jeans are a wonderful combo I think. But if you're buying just white T-shirts then that's a problem. Go for different colours once in a while? Or different jeans colours?

Only 3/4 pairs of footwear sounds normal to be honest, only girls have like 14+ pairs.

Sooo what I'm saying is, you need about 10 shirts, about 4 pairs of jeans, 3/4 pairs of footwear. Don't wear the same thing for 3-4 days, use the washing machine or wash by hand if you don't have one. Just don't smell then you're sorted :biggrin:

Nope don't care, you've basically just described my boyfriend (and me). :tongue:
I judge, but only if his fashion sense is bleeding terrible. (Or on the other hand, particuarly impressive/similar to mine)

I wouldn't worry at all about same jeans or footwear.
The other day I saw a guy in town wearing a t-shirt with the word "c--t" written across it, jeans sagged to show the bottom hem of his boxer shorts and a baseball cap. Do I judge someone who dresses like that? Of course I do. (Admittedly, his girlfriend walking next to him had a t-shirt with the "parental advisory" sign on it, which amused me)

If, on the other hand, you're talking about basic t-shirts and jeans, and basic hygiene, after that, I don't care much at all. My boyfriend has an interesting fashion sense (we're both into vintage fashion) and his style is a little "all over the place", but it suits him. I work in a clothes shop that sells more upper-end men's clothes, so I sometimes have to help them out with that, which can be interesting!
Original post by Marky Mark
*Reads post* *looks at avatar* :rolleyes:

What? Haha
I didn't expect these kind of replies!

To summarise what I've read, wearing the same footwear/jeans is fine (prior to them being clean) just have to switch up the top half?

I have a pair of shoes that are really creased and tbh they are in 6/10 condition in addition to the few that I have. Would it be a good idea to use them for a couple of months until I can potentially find a job or something?

Quick Reply

Latest