The Student Room Group

Tell me about Uni life in the UK!

I'm a university student in Alabama, USA and I'm curious how Uni life in the UK is different from University here. Any general impressions or experiences are welcome, or answer a question!

Do you think the schooling system works well in the UK? What doesn't work? What does work well?
How much pressure do you feel to be "successful?"
Do you only spend time on campus?
Are your studies towards a vocation, or can you take classes without knowing what your job will be?
What is your favorite professor like? What do they do that works?
If you're not a native English speaker, what has your experience been of learning English?
Reply 1
Original post by AlabamaArtChick
I'm a university student in Alabama, USA and I'm curious how Uni life in the UK is different from University here. Any general impressions or experiences are welcome, or answer a question!

Do you think the schooling system works well in the UK? What doesn't work? What does work well?
How much pressure do you feel to be "successful?"
Do you only spend time on campus?
Are your studies towards a vocation, or can you take classes without knowing what your job will be?
What is your favorite professor like? What do they do that works?
If you're not a native English speaker, what has your experience been of learning English?

Hi, as much as i would love to see american collage, i would love Americans to learn/find out about about our collage/uni system.

I think ours works really well. Unlike american collage, we pick one subject which we study for 3/4 years. If you want to be a nurse, you study nursing, if you are interested in history, you study history. American collage (btw this is not a criticism, just wouldnt like to learn in this way) you have to study many classes and get credits before you can major in something you actually want to do.

I think one of the biggest differences is that UK students are ALLOWED to drink- which opens up many doors- clubbing, drinking games, parties, etc are a massive (legal) part of uni life. We also have freshers week (or fortnight if you are lucky) which is a week of parties/bar crawls/fancy dress nights/concerts,etc put on by the uni during your first week. This is a great way of making friends and meeting new people. This partying continues throughout your degree and student nights out are a massive part of your student life.

We dont only spend time on campus- many towns/cities in the UK are 'student cities' and have the vast population (of people out at night) being students. Some uni campus's have bars, etc which students hang out in- but all students venture out into town and explore the local area- our campus' are not as big as yours.

'Being successful' varies from person to person. Some people may be vary studious and not take part in much uni life. However, I have known many people who have got a first class degree (the highest degree you can get) and have still taken part in uni life (gone out on student nights each week, joined clubs- (sports teams, dance, cheerleading, etc) so many people can get a good balance between being successful and enjoying being a student. Some courses, such as teaching, nursing, etc- focus more on your performance on placements than your academic studies.
As long as you get a 2;2. 2;1 or a first in your degree- you should be successful in finding a job.

Little guide to our degree classifications, prob not accurate, but this is usually what they are seen as-
- 3rd class= D grade
- 2;2= C grade
- 2.1= B grade
1st class= A grade.

We call professors 'lecturers' at uni. Some are good, some are not. usually the ones who are passionate about their subject are the best.

Another big difference is there is not as much focus on our sports teams- collage 'football' and other sports in america is very big. Our teams are more just for fun- many compete against other unis and some in national competitions, but they are nowhere near in the same league as US ones. Although some people take them very seriously.

We also get our own rooms in halls (dorms) we share a flat with several people in first year, but get our own bedrooms (I would not want to share a bedroom with a stranger). Generally, after 1st year you have to move off campus and find a house with friends- this is so much fun.
In halls their are some (pre-warned) inspections of rooms, but in a house you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want (obv without damaging the property).

From what i have heard (apologies if this is not true), certain behaviors as a student can go on your collage reference in the US. However, in the UK (as long as you dont get arrested) you can do whatever you want and it will not affect your reference- i have known the biggest sluts, stoners, players, drunks, idiots graduate and get professional jobs. What you do out of class is up to you. All class info is on the uni internet, so if it is raining, or you are hungover or simply cba getting out of bed- you cant skip class and no1 will care- you wont miss out on much.

Our fees are also quite low (compared to yours). When i was a student we payed £3,500 a year- which was all paid with a loan, and we got a maintenance loan to live off. It is now £9,000 a year for fees.

So that is what i can tell you about UK uni- i loved it and wish i was back there.

So what is US collage really like? Is is like Van Wilder, 22 Jump street, etc? or is it completely different. Please let me know :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
The above poster is pretty spot on but I want to elaborate on this point.
Original post by Cattty

Our fees are also quite low (compared to yours). When i was a student we payed £3,500 a year- which was all paid with a loan, and we got a maintenance loan to live off. It is now £9,000 a year for fees.

Most (nearly all) get a loan from Student Finance to pay these fees (and a separate means tested loan for living costs) but it's not so much a traditional loan as a tax - you only begin to pay once you've reached a certain pay threshold, its taken out of your wages automatically and it doesn't affect your credit rating. It's thought that a fairly large percentage of students will never pay back the full amount and those that do are probably in quite highly paid jobs.

I study English law which is fairly vocational as far as degrees are concerned (though not everyone who studies law actually intends to go into the legal sector - and those that do have to go through either an LPC or BPTC afterwards if they wish to practise as anything other than a paralegal) but a lot of people do subjects such as English literature, history, politics etc which are much more 'generalist' subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cattty
So what is US collage really like?

It can be a bit patchy.
Moved to University Life :h:
pretty borin unless u like party
Reply 6
Original post by Anonynous
pretty borin unless u like party

Please party- i would give my right arm to be a student again- go out 3X a week, watch crap all day, get pissed every night. instead of having to teach a group of kids with behaviour problems to do maths, read and write, etc.

Value your student life!

Yes, i earn a hell of a lot (some of it danger money- i have scars on my arms from kids), i drive a convertible, i am 'loaded'. but i would happily trade it all in for another year (or 3) of being a student.

Me and an ex-housemate looked up how much it would cost to spend 3 year studying 'wine studies' or some other idiotic degree- just so we could be students again.

Enjoy it while you can- make yourself a bucket list (things you want to do before you graduate and become a 'functional, responsible' member of society)
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
It can be a bit patchy.

Elaborate please- i would love to come and see.
Reply 8
best moments of your current life (possibly)

filled with sex, alcohol, partying/raving, drugs and of course, studying.
Reply 9
Original post by Cattty
Please party- i would give my right arm to be a student again- go out 3X a week, watch crap all day, get pissed every night. instead of having to teach a group of kids with behaviour problems to do maths, read and write, etc.

Value your student life!

Is that all? Wow, how impressive. Get pissed every night? Sounds like utter ****.

Thank god the US is pretty much the only country in the world where aimless people are allowed to waste time and thousands of Dollars while studying random stuff that won't get them anywhere but deeper into student debt.
The concept of 'law school' and 'med school' is just as idiotic. Why waste time studying something else and not start a 5-6 year law or medical program right after high school, like it is done in my country?
Stupid countries are stupid.
I've got the experience this year of being able to take pretty much any classes I want (I'm on a Study abroad year) and I cam definitely see the benefit of it. It's broadening my education and will enrich my studies in my main degree when I go back home next year

Quick Reply