The Student Room Group

I went from BBCC to A*A*A ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Chem_eng
I want to study chemical engineering aswell :smile:

Can you give me any tips?

Did you apply to better unis in your gap year?

I didn't take a gap year, I applied to manchester, Leeds , Nottingham, Birmingham and bath
Original post by singapaul
Well I live in wales so luckily I was able to resit some modules in January but I resit all my exams, apart from biology, f that haha

What was the point in retaking modules you got a B in, I mean wasn't it pointless as it wouldn't of effected you in getting An A*?
Reply 42
Original post by Dose of fury
What was the point in retaking modules you got a B in, I mean wasn't it pointless as it wouldn't of effected you in getting An A*?

I was never planning on getting A*s as I only needed 3 As, I wanted to increase my as results as much as possible so I wouldn't have had to do as well in A2 to get an A overall
Please tell me how you revised?
WOOOW! !! :smile: what an achievement! You give me hope thanks!
Reply 45
Original post by abbasahmed786
Please tell me how you revised?

Did on average five hours a day;
For physics and chemistry
I made notes from the revision book and notes from my own notes then compiled those notes together and summarised and refined those notes, I also made flash cards for definitions and single answer questions (eg what is the bond in sodium chloride? co-ordinate)
For maths I did the problems in class and copied down the examples at home into a book and I just made sure I went over the methods so I understood what was behind them, I invested in the OCR MEI C3 and C4 revision book which I would really recommend, with maths I found I learnt a lot from doing past papers because the exam board you're on will have a typical average way of wording and expressing questions that would be good to get used to
Original post by Pectorac
No you don't, you need a B at AS. You need 80% in the whole A-level with 90% in the A2 units. If you got 210/300 in AS at a B, and 270/300 in A2, added together that would be 480/600 which is 80% in the whole A-level and 90% in the A2 units, so you'd get an A*.

You only actually need a C at AS - 180/300 + 300/300 = 480/600 A overall plus 90% for the A2, so you'd get an A*
Reply 47
Original post by lozasaurus99
WOOOW! !! :smile: what an achievement! You give me hope thanks!

Someone said this to me a while ago and it stuck with me , ''A levels or most things in life aren't that difficult so long as you work your ass off you'll get there''
Reply 48
Original post by plasmaman
You only actually need a C at AS - 180/300 + 300/300 = 480/600 A overall plus 90% for the A2, so you'd get an A*

For WJEC you need 80% at as and 90% at A2
Original post by Pectorac
Why do you think this makes you special? Anybody who studies A-levels can do that, if they can be assed to put the work in.

Yes, but most are too lazy to do so. Not everyone is equally ambitious.
For WJEC you need 80% at as and 90% at A2

Yep I'm on WJEC and have been told this many a time aswell :L
Reply 51
Did you have to understand like really really understand everything or did you just memorise everything and past papers? :smile:))))))
Reply 52
Original post by Jumpout
Did you have to understand like really really understand everything or did you just memorise everything and past papers? :���)))))))

You know I've been wondering about that recently and I couldn't tell you, on average science exams are about 40% recall and there are certain things ie definitions, explanations where you have to say certain phrases each time to get the specific marking points, the rest of the exam is built on understanding though and there are a lot of mathematical questions in chem and phys that require understanding to answer them, for maths I found that I had to memorise the techniques for the exam and there is only ONE way to answer certain questions
what idiots repped that incorrect post?
What exam board did you do for Maths?

If Edexcel then could you tell me what you got for C1, C2, C3 and C4?

Sorry for being nosy but I'm redoing those and I need to get 98-94 UMS points for those modules but I don't know if it's possible for me to get UMSs that high for all 4 modules.

I'm hoping that if you got it then I'll use you as an inspiration, hahaha
Reply 55
Original post by Da Di Doo
What exam board did you do for Maths?

If Edexcel then could you tell me what you got for C1, C2, C3 and C4?

Sorry for being nosy but I'm redoing those and I need to get 98-94 UMS points for those modules but I don't know if it's possible for me to get UMSs that high for all 4 modules.

I'm hoping that if you got it then I'll use you as an inspiration, hahaha

I did OCR MEI
C1: U, B, A(98)
C2: C, A(100)
C3: A (94)
C4: A(97)
S1: D, A (87)
M1: A (84)
Wow!! Congratulations!! I can literally relate to this so much!

I got CCD last year and now I've got A*AB!
Amazing things happen when you work hard!!
Reply 57
Aha well done mate! I went from bcce to A*AB not as drsmatic as your turn aroubd though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't take a gap year, I applied to manchester, Leeds , Nottingham, Birmingham and bath

Thanks for the advice.

What was your A level predictions?

Also do you think its risky applying to better unis(.e.g Imperial) in ur gap year?
Are you a genius?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending