The Student Room Group

Why do people hate hipsters?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Rarely. However we both agree there's a difference between testing medicine and testing cosmetics and other stuff

What's the difference? you will only allow animal testing when it directly benefits you?
Serious q here. I've been called it as an insult before as has my partner and friends. From what I understand it's just an unconventional person...so why so much hate lol? Just seems "****ing hipster" is used as a retort when someone makes a valid point about a societal norm being negative so people feel uncomfortable because they can't think for themselves and their delusion is being smashed.

Any logical reason for hipster hate guys?

OH MY GOD :eek:Tyrion I saw your face You Look Really Nice.:colondollar:
Generally because the hipsters you come across in daily life are pretentious types who tend to reject anything mainstream just because it's popular. They also lack the originality they stand for by all having a similar definitive style which slowly drips into the mainstream, and as soon as this happens they reject it and look for something even more 'original'.

Hipsters by definition are douchey.. So hipster is usually an insult. People who are genuinely unique or have a quirky style aren't necessarily hipster.

However, if someone called me a hipster I'd probably be secretly flattered! Because, for all their pretence, I do like 'typical' hipster style fashion at the moment.
Reply 43
So just your perception.

He's always had them and always been open :smile:

so why are you asking random people on an online forum, and then dismissing opinions that dont fit your paradigm because they are subjective lol?

logic, not even once...
Reply 44
So just your perception.

He's always had them and always been open :smile:

if it's his personality he's counter-culture, not a hipster :smile:

a hipster in the derogatory use of the word is basically insecure and uses their zany randomness and alternative ways to seem cooler than everyone else and makes a point to show it at any opportunity (hence funny hat for Voltaire junior)

that being said it's annoying when you start a conversation about Guardians of the Galaxy and it ends on the use of metafiction by Dostoevsky, for example
(edited 9 years ago)
The whole idea of being a hipster is to look like you are not trying. Because you don't care what other people think. All these people and their corporate non fairtrade brands - you don't need approval from them. You're going to grow a beard, not wash your hair with shampoo and you will most definitely wear the skinniest jeans you can find - and you don't care. You'll cycle around Hoxton with pride.

However, in reality, hipsters spend a lot of time trying. They try so bloody hard to fit in. Sometimes they will wear glasses even if they have 20/20 vision.

This makes them annoying.
Original post by leemer
What's the difference? you will only allow animal testing when it directly benefits you?

Something being necessary for survival vs something being unnecessary and causing suffering

Original post by Doob
so why are you asking random people on an online forum, and then dismissing opinions that dont fit your paradigm because they are subjective lol?

logic, not even once...

I'm trying to find out if there's any logic to it so I am probing you to find out how strong your reason is
Very left wing, won't buy from anywhere that tests on animals, won't buy from anywhere unethical, is a vegetarian, likes vinyl, likes old music, loves debating politics, likes foreign films no ones heard of, has very unique interests

What phone do you and him own?
I dress randomly just for lolz quite often. That includes stuff that takes zero effort as well. Like flip flops vest and shorts with surf dude style jewelry. Cus it makes me lol when I pass by windows and mirrors.

But the thing is, I'm pretty obscure. I'm kind of underground. Let's be real. You've probably never heard of me.

But in all seriousness I'm not following mainstream fashion just because everyone else is wearing it. I remember when I first saw daps(whatever they're called) before they were popular and I thought they looked really childish and stupid. Then they became popular and I still thought they looked childish and stupid. Equally I thought skinny jeans looked absolutely gay on males and were pretty much female clothes. I still do lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Riku
if it's his personality he's counter-culture, not a hipster :smile:

a hipster in the derogatory use of the word is basically insecure and uses their zany randomness and alternative ways to seem cooler than everyone else and makes a point to show it at any opportunity (hence funny hat for Voltaire junior)

that being said it's annoying when you start a conversation about Guardians of the Galaxy and it ends on the use of metafiction by Dostoevsky, for example

Nah he's not doing it for the sake of it
Serious q here. I've been called it as an insult before as has my partner and friends. From what I understand it's just an unconventional person...so why so much hate lol? Just seems "****ing hipster" is used as a retort when someone makes a valid point about a societal norm being negative so people feel uncomfortable because they can't think for themselves and their delusion is being smashed.

Any logical reason for hipster hate guys?

Round me it's trustafarian bell ends cycling their fixie around Shoreditch with a giant beard and a necklace made from Dam dolls. They're convinced they're seriously edgy and massively breaking the system because they work in marketing rather than finance, even though their dad runs a minor hedge fund and they'll be settled, voting Tory and living a solid middle class life in the home counties before they hit 35.
Reply 51
Something being necessary for survival vs something being unnecessary and causing suffering

I'm trying to find out if there's any logic to it so I am probing you to find out how strong your reason is

i just proved how illogical you are, there are about 20 other comments in this thread conveying the same message that i am, yet you still cant accept it lol.

strong pseudo intellectuality is strong
Original post by leinad2012
What phone do you and him own?

I have an iPhone 5c he has a Nokia equivelant, why?
Original post by Doob
i just proved how illogical you are, there are about 20 other comments in this thread conveying the same message that i am, yet you still cant accept it lol.

strong pseudo intellectuality is strong

No you didn't, I explained why I'm probing you
Because they are contrived, have obnoxious fashions, and believe they are intelligent when they're less intelligent than the average
Reply 55
tbh the majority of people on TSR are slightly hipster
Original post by InnerTemple
The whole idea of being a hipster is to look like you are not trying. Because you don't care what other people think. All these people and their corporate non fairtrade brands - you don't need approval from them. You're going to grow a beard, not wash your hair with shampoo and you will most definitely wear the skinniest jeans you can find - and you don't care. You'll cycle around Hoxton with pride.

However, in reality, hipsters spend a lot of time trying. They try so bloody hard to fit in. Sometimes they will wear glasses even if they have 20/20 vision.

This makes them annoying.

lol I guess that makes me a hipster. Bar the cycling, second paragraph and not washing hair cus thats just gross and also skinny jeans cus thats female clothing.

But lets be serial. Tyrionn is high maintenance and doesn't fall under any of those categories :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by leemer
They will seem to think that they are better than everybody else who is "following the system". As well as the fact that they think they are so unique and indie because they wear ironic tee-shirts and thick rimmed glasses when they're just like everybody else.

Depends what you mean really. It's a bit more nuanced than you suggest - there are people who blindly follow the system, people who follow the system but have looked at it critically, people who don't follow the system but are just following an unconventional system instead rather than thinking for themselves and those who actually think for themselves and don't follow the system. Those who think for themselves are, in some senses, better than those who don't think for themselves but there are also other factors, such as how they act and their thought processes and justifications. Just because people think for themselves doesn't mean their actions and attitudes are justified, of course.

To say the inability to think for yourself is a bad thing could be central to hipsterism would only be proved right by those who hate hipsters because they have this attitude without considering whether there's truth to it.
Original post by incognito.j2
OH MY GOD :eek:Tyrion I saw your face You Look Really Nice.:colondollar:

Thank you
Reply 59
They think they are edgy but actually they are very politically correct and the opposite of edgy.

Quick Reply

Latest