The Student Room Group

What if i get no offers?

Hey there! o/

I'm a little confused about the whole uni application process. As im sure many people are I'm aiming high when it comes to university hoping to get into a top 10 university for my subject and having ones lower down on that ranking as a "just in case".

I was wondering though, what if when it comes too it, i get offers from none of them? can i re apply for a foundation course they offer or is it over? do i just get the one shot? If its just the one shot, can i apply for multiple variants of the same course E.G. a bachelors degree in computer science, a masters and a foundation course and failing to meet the requirements for the masters will they then consider my application separately for the bachelors and if not that then the foundation course?

There is a good chance I'm over thinking all of this but I'm nervous about my application for whats essentially the rest of my life.
If you get no offers then you can apply to another university through Ucas Extra.

You can also apply through clearing if even the extra rejects you.
Talk to your teachers about what grades they think you might end up with and then look at unis that ask for that sort of grade. You don't need to look at masters level courses until you have done your first degree.

There is nothing wrong with aiming high, but you also have to be realistic. The other consideration is that one of your choices should be a 'worst case scenario' in case your exams go badly - but it should still be somewhere you would want to study.

You need to keep talking to others to learn more about the application process.

Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Da Di Doo
If you get no offers then you can apply to another university through Ucas Extra.

You can also apply through clearing if even the extra rejects you.

Awesome, thats good to know there is hope if everything goes tits up.

Would you happen to know if applying for multiple courses at the same uni counts as one choice on your application or would say 2 courses is 2 choices?
Original post by trias1995
Awesome, thats good to know there is hope if everything goes tits up.

Would you happen to know if applying for multiple courses at the same uni counts as one choice on your application or would say 2 courses is 2 choices?

2 courses is 2 choices. Otherwise people would be applying to heaps of different courses at 5 universities. A choice is a course, not a university.
Hey there! o/

I'm a little confused about the whole uni application process. As im sure many people are I'm aiming high when it comes to university hoping to get into a top 10 university for my subject and having ones lower down on that ranking as a "just in case".

I was wondering though, what if when it comes too it, i get offers from none of them? can i re apply for a foundation course they offer or is it over? do i just get the one shot? If its just the one shot, can i apply for multiple variants of the same course E.G. a bachelors degree in computer science, a masters and a foundation course and failing to meet the requirements for the masters will they then consider my application separately for the bachelors and if not that then the foundation course?

There is a good chance I'm over thinking all of this but I'm nervous about my application for whats essentially the rest of my life.

It really is rare for people to get 5 rejections, unless they are really silly about where they apply to or are missing a basic requirements, like GCSE English. You do need to be a bit sensible- the normal advice is to have 1-2 aspirational universities, 2 sensible choices (asking for around your predicted grades) and 1-2 back up choices (asking for lower than predicted grades to use as an insurance).

If you apply to a university for one course, they will sometimes offer another course if they think it's a suitable alternative- however it's really unlikely you'd be suitable for both a 4 year MSc and a foundation year. Listing 3 courses at the same university would likely be a waste of spots that could be used for more reasonable choices.

If you do get 5 rejections, or don't like any of your offers, you can of course reapply via UCAS EXTRA and clearing- however, the 5 rejection scenario really is very unlikely.
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Listing 3 courses at the same university would likely be a waste of spots that could be used for more reasonable choices.

And what if ive got my mind set one one subject and thats all im interested in?

Some people i know apply for say like computer science and physics as they have a preference but dont mind which they do however in my case im only interested in computer science and either an Meng or Msci so what would you recommend i do in my case?
And what if ive got my mind set one one subject and thats all im interested in?

Some people i know apply for say like computer science and physics as they have a preference but dont mind which they do however in my case im only interested in computer science and either an Meng or Msci so what would you recommend i do in my case?

The vast majority of people apply for the same course at 5 different universities, rather than multiple courses at the same institution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending