The Student Room Group

Do people usually buy their cheap food at the first week/month of uni?

Will it be weird to start buying my asda/aldi only branded food items.

Wouldn't it seem cheapskate ?

Don't people act rich the first few weeks?
What's the norm

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alumna

What's the norm

I guess many people will have a different budget so will be a mixture. I only plan to buy cheap/shop branded food too. Can't see why people will judge, we are students, nothing wrong with being cheap :tongue:
Reply 2
I buy cheap anyway. I don't know why you wouldn't. Start as you mean to continue. :P
No it wouldn't be weird, I've never heard of people buying more expensive food to try and "look rich".
Reply 4
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
I guess many people will have a different budget so will be a mixture. I only plan to buy cheap/shop branded food too. Can't see why people will judge, we are students, nothing wrong with being cheap :tongue:

Original post by Kelz
I buy cheap anyway. I don't know why you wouldn't. Start as you mean to continue. :P

Oh okay, nice to see like minded then.

I will just feel odd carrying aldi bags into my accommodatin because I never shop there before and it has a bad name like lidl and people laugh or something (Not sure, I would know)

I might actually try Icelands, never been there before either
Original post by Alumna

I will just feel odd carrying aldi bags into my accommodatin because I never shop there before and it has a bad name like lidl and people laugh or something (Not sure, I would know)

Yeah, no-one would judge you for that. And anyone that would probably isn't worth your time.
Reply 6
If anyone says anything just say "more money for vodka" they won't say anything else, they will understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alumna

What's the norm

That's a fair point but a silly one. You should have planned your weekly budget for food. And a weekly budget for buying things outside on nights out. Whether that is food, drinks or activities.

Breakfast is cheapest, then lunch then dinner. Plus snacks sometimes. That's food budget.

With the left over money you have by saving money from your Aldi shopping, you can now show off by being able to comfortably afford things when out and about with friends.

But on a separate note, most students will be shopping from asda/Aldi/tesco. We are not adults. We don't need, nor have the money for organic waitrose fruits and vegetables.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alumna

If anything you're more likely to be laughed at if you came in with a waitrose bag being called a posh **** (not seriously though).
All the students I know shop at lidl, iceland, aldi, tesco and asda
Reply 9
Original post by Hitashami
That's a fair point but a silly one. You should have planned your weekly budget for food. And a weekly budget for buying things outside on nights out. Whether that is food, drinks or activities.

Breakfast is cheapest, then lunch then dinner. Plus snacks sometimes. That's food budget.

With the left over money you have by saving money from your Aldi shopping, you can now show off by being able to comfortably afford things when out and about with friends.

But on a separate note, most students will be shopping from asda/Aldi/tesco. We are not adults. We don't need, nor have the money for organic waitrose fruits and vegetables.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, hopefully I am not living with international students. Just want to be with british people.

International students will definitely be rich.
Original post by Alumna
I know, hopefully I am not living with international students. Just want to be with british people.

International students will definitely be rich.

Not always, my friend is moving to England from Greece to uni next week and if she doesn't get a job she will basically starve.
Reply 11
Original post by SophieSmall
Not always, my friend is moving to England from Greece to uni next week and if she doesn't get a job she will basically starve.

Oh I always thought people coming international have that cash to pay so much themselves without help.
Original post by Alumna
Oh I always thought people coming international have that cash to pay so much themselves without help.

It really depends, some of them will some of them won't. Many of them may have had several jobs back home and saved up the money and are counting to get jobs here.
Original post by SophieSmall

Yeah. Sometimes international students are just about rich enough to pay for their course and get by om basics. Not all are gonna be rich. I have been advised to avoid the rich ones though. They can be spoilt, culture clash creates a lot of problems and sometimes they don't care about their studies. Although if they are nice and down to earth then no problem. Actually the examples I just gave could apply to rich students in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hitashami
Yeah. Sometimes international students are just about rich enough to pay for their course and get by om basics. Not all are gonna be rich. I have been advised to avoid the rich ones though. They can be spoilt, culture clash creates a lot of problems and sometimes they don't care about their studies. Although if they are nice and down to earth then no problem. Actually the examples I just gave could apply to rich students in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahah yeah you're right they could. I know a few rich people both international and british, so far it's only the british ones who have been prats :')
Original post by Alumna

What's the norm

No. :s-smilie:

If anything people will take this piss if you shop at waitrose everyday.
We always shop Aldi at home and I hate not having one near at uni.
Original post by Alumna

Get a couple of bags for life. I have one from sainsburys that rolls up really small. Get one from sainsburys, one from tescos and no one will know where you shop! But unless your flatmates are really stuck-up they shouldn't care (Although I don't actually have experience with this, my uni has no asda, lidl, aldi or iceland within about 10 miles :mad: )
Reply 17
Original post by hrbrox
Get a couple of bags for life. I have one from sainsburys that rolls up really small. Get one from sainsburys, one from tescos and no one will know where you shop! But unless your flatmates are really stuck-up they shouldn't care (Although I don't actually have experience with this, my uni has no asda, lidl, aldi or iceland within about 10 miles :mad: )

Oh gosh, I know what you mean. I am dreading having no corner shops or random small
Original post by Alumna
Oh gosh, I know what you mean. I am dreading having no corner shops or random small

We have a massive tescos and I don't particularly need to go to a cheaper shop but I don't like being tethered to one shop, the next nearest is a medium sized sainsburys in town so you've got to get the bus. There's a big sainsburys further out on the bus route that I went to once but the journey was so long my frozen stuff half defrosted by the time I got back. I'd really love an iceland or an asda in town.
Reply 19
Original post by hrbrox
We have a massive tescos and I don't particularly need to go to a cheaper shop but I don't like being tethered to one shop, the next nearest is a medium sized sainsburys in town so you've got to get the bus. There's a big sainsburys further out on the bus route that I went to once but the journey was so long my frozen stuff half defrosted by the time I got back. I'd really love an iceland or an asda in town.

LOL that is funny.

But yeah even the place I am going to doesn't have a variety I think it has 2.

Quick Reply

Latest