The Student Room Group

Am I being Catfished?

So i've been chatting to this girl from Los Angeles who I met on plenty of fish, she had her location as London which I why I got talking to her in the first place, however I then found out she is from Los Angeles. Normally I would forget it but the fact she was a stunner whos way out of my league and the fact she seemed interested in me meant I continued to chat to her and add her on facebook. Plus shes said she wants to come to London to study which is ideal for me and I'd love to go to Los Angeles so I definitely see a future with her. We have loads in common and I feel like i've really connected with her, I've developed stronger feelings for her these past few weeks and see my future with her.

I added her to facebook shortly after meeting her on POF and we've really hit it off, I spends hours talking to her every night and I just feel so at ease talking to her. However just recently alarm bells have started to sound, i've asked her if she has whatsapp, facetime, skype so we can cam to cam but she told me she has neither of those things and apparently her webcam is broken as well. She doesn't have IG or twitter she literally only has a facebook account because she said they're too much of a distraction and she needs to concentrate on her studies. Normally I wouldn't be too worried but shes not a regular looking bird so I find that odd that a girl thats as attractive as her would only have a facebook plus the act I have always thought it was weird that shes on an online dating site when she would have no problem at all finding a man, and i'm not exactly Brad Pitt! Maybe it's me being paranoid but I don't know, I just feel somethings not right about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll show you some pics later as well so you can see for yourself.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Fitz
I'll show you some pics later as well so you can see for yourself.

Troll
You probably are, yeah. You're probably talking to some old fat guy.
Reply 3
Really hope thats not the case because i've developed really strong feelings for her. :frown:
it does seem like it:sadnod: be careful.
Check her facebook pictures and see the authenticity of them. If using google chrome you can right click her picture and 'Search google for this image' and see if that image is used anywhere else. You should Skype her and go on cam. I live in England and met a girl in Norway online. We just chatted on FB for a while then we started to skype and go on cam then about four months later we met up in a real life and it was really amazing. I hope she is real for you!
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Fitz
So i've been chatting to this girl from Los Angeles who I met on plenty of fish, she had her location as London which I why I got talking to her in the first place, however I then found out she is from Los Angeles. Normally I would forget it but the fact she was a stunner whos way out of my league and the fact she seemed interested in me meant I continued to chat to her and add her on facebook. Plus shes said she wants to come to London to study which is ideal for me and I'd love to go to Los Angeles so I definitely see a future with her. We have loads in common and I feel like i've really connected with her, I've developed stronger feelings for her these past few weeks and see my future with her.

I added her to facebook shortly after meeting her on POF and we've really hit it off, I spends hours talking to her every night and I just feel so at ease talking to her. However just recently alarm bells have started to sound, i've asked her if she has whatsapp, facetime, skype so we can cam to cam but she told me she has neither of those things and apparently her webcam is broken as well. She doesn't have IG or twitter she literally only has a facebook account because she said they're too much of a distraction and she needs to concentrate on her studies. Normally I wouldn't be too worried but shes not a regular looking bird so I find that odd that a girl thats as attractive as her would only have a facebook plus the act I have always thought it was weird that shes on an online dating site when she would have no problem at all finding a man, and i'm not exactly Brad Pitt! Maybe it's me being paranoid but I don't know, I just feel somethings not right about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll show you some pics later as well so you can see for yourself.

To be fair, all those things sound like valid reasons but if I was in your situation I would give her an ultimatum and say that if you can't Skype then you can't speak anymore. Tell her that you can't go any further without speaking to hr properly. If she still say no even after the ultimatum then just forget about her.

I hope this helps, and good luck! xxx
Original post by Mr Fitz
so we can cam to cam but she told me she has neither of those things and apparently her webcam is broken as well.

Ah yes, the ol' chestnut. Probably is a Catfish. May we see this Facebook profile?
Reply 8
Original post by Adammartin95
Check her facebook pictures and see the authenticity of them. If using google chrome you can right click her picture and 'Search google for this image' and see if that image is used anywhere else. You should Skype her and go on cam. I live in England and met a girl in Norway online. We just chatted on FB for a while then we started to skype and go on cam then about four months later we met up in a real life and it was really amazing. I hope she is real for you!

Cheers mate, I have actually done the good image reverse search and nothings came up which is a positive sign. I'll post some pics of her here so you can judge better.

What do you think? Does she look like someone that would really be on an online dating site? Maybe i'm just paranoid but something deep down tells me that something isn't right.

Reply 9
I got catfished once.
Met girl on game - all nice and everything, got suspicious.
"She" told me a "friends" fb for some reason and wouldn't tell me hers.

She had pictures of her as her "spray" on a steam game - for those who don't know what that is just google.
Anyway me being a little ninja went on this "friends" fb and looked for her.
Turns out she was actually in Florida, USA instead of Stavanger, Norway.

Curiosity got best of me so I googled her name instead and she has a police record so I lol'd and asked "her" about that.
Turns out "she" doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Confronted "her" and said they were actually the "friend".

They were like "HOW DID YOU FIND ALL THAT OUT?!"

I replied.

"I'm a spy."

Never heard from them again...
Original post by Mr Fitz
Cheers mate, I have actually done the good image reverse search and nothings came up which is a positive sign. I'll post some pics of her here so you can judge better.

What do you think? Does she look like someone that would really be on an online dating site? Maybe i'm just paranoid but something deep down tells me that something isn't right.

I can't actually remember where I've seen them but I have seen them online somewhere else. I don't use PoF or have someone who looks like that on my Facebook but I'm 100% sure I've seen those before somewhere else.
Reply 11
That really doesn't help!
Seems like you're being catfished

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I really hope it's her, as much as I want it to be her I can't help but think i'm speaking to to 20 stone male/female at times and i'm just wasting my time. I've really fallen for her and i've never been with a girl that hot and her personality is perfect. I just really hope she is who she says she is.
Original post by Mr Fitz

Wow! now I see why you are still interest in her. It's hard to say but I do get this feeling she's not all that real. If she won't webcam then I find it hard to believe. You should ask her to take a picture with your name on a piece of paper or something like this to prove it. It's good that nothing came up with her photos which is a good sign but it does make me wonder how someone like her who is really beautiful would use a website like that in the first place, she actually looks like a model. I would say it has a 50/50 chance of being real and you never know it very well could be. Just keep talking to her and see were it goes but I wouldn't meet up with her before you have seen her on cam. May be in a few months if you still unsure then you should stop speaking to her but I'd say she could be real just try ask her for a photo like I said before to prove it. You have my respect if she is real and you pull her though haha :wink:
Reply 15
She looks really familiar :L
do what they do in catfish. click and drag her picture into the google seach engine. see what comes up.
Reply 17
Original post by Adammartin95
Wow! now I see why you are still interest in her. It's hard to say but I do get this feeling she's not all that real. If she won't webcam then I find it hard to believe. You should ask her to take a picture with your name on a piece of paper or something like this to prove it. It's good that nothing came up with her photos which is a good sign but it does make me wonder how someone like her who is really beautiful would use a website like that in the first place, she actually looks like a model. I would say it has a 50/50 chance of being real and you never know it very well could be. Just keep talking to her and see were it goes but I wouldn't meet up with her before you have seen her on cam. May be in a few months if you still unsure then you should stop speaking to her but I'd say she could be real just try ask her for a photo like I said before to prove it. You have my respect if she is real and you pull her though haha :wink:

Thanks a lot mate, yeah as soon as I saw her she really stood out for me, I messaged her as a long shot really I never expected a reply let alone her showing any interest with me so I felt like I hit the jackpot when she started talking to me. But theres that niggling doubt that just won't go away, I've watched far too much of that catfish to know that loads of people have been through the same thing as me only to find out it's some psycho munter on the other end which is why i'm worried. I've done all the google reverse searches and good thing no results, but then she could be taking the images from a random girls facebook for all I know. I will keep talking to her, and good idea about the photo with my name on it i'll ask her!
Have you got the Facebook profile link? It might help.
Most definitely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending