The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Im sure it will take some time of your life.. think about it..
Kunster1337
Im sure it will take some time of your life.. think about it..

Oh yeah it does.
Reply 3
1 cigarette a day is enough to get addicted, and then you'd need more and more. I would think most people who smoke 20-40 a day start on 1 a day.
Reply 4
i don't think it would cause significant damage, but if you can get by on one cigarette a day then it doesn't sound like you're addicted therefore there's not an awful lot of point in having that one cigarette.
Reply 5
I started on one a day.
Then I smoked twenty a day for years.
I now smoke between 5-3 and will quit on 30th september, if not before.
It hasn't been easy.
Don't start, I developed asthma at 18 after smoking for four years, rosecea (nasty acne like rash on my face) last year, and I stink.
Reply 6
All fags are bad for you in all amounts.
Reply 7
I now smoke between 5-3 and will quit on 30th september, if not before.

Good on you.
Reply 8
One a day will definatly cause damage. Everytime you have smoke in your lungs damage is caused.
Reply 9
It's perfectly possible to have 1 a day, I've been doing it for a while. As long as you have the will power to take a step back when you suspect you might becoming dependant (it's not that hard). Over the course of years though it will still do a lot of damage to your health if you think about how many cigarrettes you will have smoked over a long period.
jpowell
1 cigarette a day is enough to get addicted, and then you'd need more and more. I would think most people who smoke 20-40 a day start on 1 a day.

You are talking BULL. 1 cigarette a day is not enough to get you addicted. It might create a routinal dependence: but then some people may choose to brush their hair in a certain way and do it every single day. A re they addicted to a method of brushing their hair?

It is certainly not going to improve your health, but the detriment to your health of smoking just one cigarette a day is minimal.

Edit: Im talking as someone who smoked weed for 2 years and cigarettes for 18 months (both involve inhaling tobacco smoke). Dont give me bull about addiction. I might have smoked between 1 and 20 cigarettes a week in that time (usually closer to 1 than 20) and 5 weeks ago I decided to stop and did so with no problems. I might be a fairly strong person, but anyone who smokes around 20 cigs a week will not have too many problems giving up. It becomes a routine and gives you something to do. There is no physical dependence created like there can be with alcohol on a small amount of cigarettes.
Phonicsdude
You are talking BULL. 1 cigarette a day is not enough to get you addicted. It might create a routinal dependence: but then some people may choose to brush their hair in a certain way and do it every single day. A re they addicted to a method of brushing their hair?

It is certainly not going to improve your health, but the detriment to your health of smoking just one cigarette a day is minimal.

Edit: Im talking as someone who smoked weed for 2 years and cigarettes for 18 months (both involve inhaling tobacco smoke). Dont give me bull about addiction. I might have smoked between 1 and 20 cigarettes a week in that time (usually closer to 1 than 20) and 5 weeks ago I decided to stop and did so with no problems. I might be a fairly strong person, but anyone who smokes around 20 cigs a week will not have too many problems giving up. It becomes a routine and gives you something to do. There is no physical dependence created like there can be with alcohol on a small amount of cigarettes.

Smoking one a day will damage your lungs, regardless of whether you become addicted or not.
why don't you just not smoke any a day. its a lot healthier for you and a lot more pleasant for others around you!!
Shreerac1
Smoking one a day will damage your lungs, regardless of whether you become addicted or not.

As will living in a city. The OP asked whether it would "significantly damage" someone's health to smoke just 1 cigarette a day. The answer is no.
What is your point?
Phonicsdude
As will living in a city. What is your point?

I was trying to answer the OP's question, keep this thread on topic. I'm not saying people should or shouldn't smoke.
You failed to answer the OP's question because, as my last post pointed out, you didn't say whether "significant damage" would be caused. He stated that he knew the risks of smoking in general.
Phonicsdude
You failed to answer the OP's question because, as my last post pointed out, you didn't say whether "significant damage" would be caused. He stated that he knew the risks of smoking in general.

Ok you win.
Reply 17
What do guys you think is worse for your health? Living on a main road all your life or being a casual smoker (we're talking less than a pack a month)?
What do guys you think is worse for your health? Living on a main road all your life or being a casual smoker (we're talking less than a pack a month)?

Living on a main road and being a casual smoker.

If you live in London, or a big city, you're all breathing the same crap anyway. If you smoke at all, you're just adding to it.
Reply 19
lol 1 isnt gonna get you hooked or cause significant damage!

i used to smoke LOADS then 1 day some arse said i cudnt quit... and i said i could quit if i wanted to

to prove him right i didnt smoke for 4 months, having never wanted to stop in the first place i started again after 4 months

don't say "see you WERE hooked" coz theres no way an addict can go 4 months without something and still be hooked... otherwise you'd have to spend your whole life in rehab

anyway with me now i can take it or leave it... i cant really afford to smoke so i mostly dont but having 1 or 2 a day isnt gonna make me go "OMG I NEED 20 NOWWWWWWWWWWWW"

Latest