The Student Room Group

Does having a laptop on your lap damage your sperm?

Or is this just a rumour?
Dunno, Does asking weird questions make your brain smaller?
Reply 2
More likely your sperm will damage your laptop if you ask me
Reply 3
if the laptop gets rly hot then maybe
There is this:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/12December/Pages/wifi-laptop-signals-sperm-fertility-damage.aspx

But that's about WiFi and not a laptop on your knees. Tbh I've heard the same as you OP before!
Reply 5
Potentially yes. The reason seems to be WiFi and not heat (although heat will damage you sperm).

Citation one, two and three.

Quote from citation one:
Ten samples of the semen, collected from donors between the ages of 20 and 30 years
were exposed when the source of the RFR was in active mode. Sequel to the exposure, both the exposed samples
and another ten unexposed samples from same donors were analysed for sperm concentration, motility and
morphology grading. A test of significance between results of these semen parameters using Mann-Whitney U- test
at 0.05 level of significance showed a significant effect of RFR exposure on the semen parameters considered.

Citation three is the shortest and easiest to read.

EDIT:

Found something linking laptop use to increased scrotal temperatures here.

In short OP, yes having a laptop on your lap could negatively affect your fertility, but the effect in the long term isn't well studied as the link above says. In the meantime if you're trying to get someone pregnant, avoid hot baths.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it is something to do the with the heat from the laptop damaging your swimmers. That is why your balls are on the outside of your body, to keep them cool.

Edit: Found this. Laptops do cook your balls. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2010/11/05/us-laptop-testicles-idUSTRE6A457320101105
(edited 9 years ago)
Laptops only damage your sperm when you place them places other than on your lap.

Fun Fact of the Day: This is why they're called 'laptops', they're dangerous when placed elsewhere :fyi:
No, they turn your little almost-babies into superheroes.
Reply 9
Original post by wisedavo
More likely your sperm will damage your laptop if you ask me

A replacement keyboard cost me £40.
Reply 10
Original post by de_monies
There is this:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/12December/Pages/wifi-laptop-signals-sperm-fertility-damage.aspx

But that's about WiFi and not a laptop on your knees. Tbh I've heard the same as you OP before!

Glad I'm not the only one who's heard this.
If you use a laptop often enough and for such long periods of time that this becomes a problem, chances are you won't be getting many opportunities to use your sperm productively anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by RFowler
If you use a laptop often enough and for such long periods of time that this becomes a problem, chances are you won't be getting many opportunities to use your sperm productively anyway.

lol
Original post by RFowler

JUST in case, I often have a cushion on my knees, with the excuse that the laptop is too hot

The cushion actually makes that problem worse, because you're blocking air vents, but I'd rather laptops dying short deaths than potentially not being able to have kids!!!

Quick Reply

Latest