The Student Room Group

Need help on IB choices!

My current IB choices are:
HL Philosophy, HL Econ, HL Eng lang-lit
SL Biology, SL Math, SL Chinese

I was initially unsure whether or not I should choose HL Art as I have heard you need to put loads of time into it and I have so many other CAS activities. However I really enjoy it and got an A* for it in GCSE.

And I'm not sure I like doing HL philosophy right now so my question is:

What university courses can I do with subjects like the following?
HL Econ, HL Eng Lang-lit, HL Art
and SL bio, SL math, SL chinese

I think it sounds really random so should I just keep philosophy and give up art? :confused:

**note If i do HL art instead, my econ classes change to a class with a worse teacher because it clashes with art :frown:

Any help would be appreciated
thanks so much guys :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by natalie222
My current IB choices are:
HL Philosophy, HL Econ, HL Eng lang-lit
SL Biology, SL Math, SL Chinese

I was initially unsure whether or not I should choose HL Art as I have heard you need to put loads of time into it and I have so many other CAS activities. However I really enjoy it and got an A* for it in GCSE.

And I'm not sure I like doing HL philosophy right now so my question is:

What university courses can I do with subjects like the following?
HL Econ, HL Eng Lang-lit, HL Art
and SL bio, SL math, SL chinese

I think it sounds really random so should I just keep philosophy and give up art? :confused:

**note If i do HL art instead, my econ classes change to a class with a worse teacher because it clashes with art :frown:

Any help would be appreciated
thanks so much guys :smile:

Hey! Although I don't know what courses you can do with that subject combination, I think I may be able to offer some advice when it comes to choosing subjects. Here's the way I see it; as cliche as it sounds, choose the subjects you love, and make sure you enjoy your HL subjects. You're going to be putting a lot of time into them, and it makes it so much easier if you love what you're doing. When you choose subjects you love, they're more likely to lead you into a degree that you love, so it seems like a win-win scenario. To be frank, doing the IB does mean you're going to get a pretty decent workload, and you'll feel all the more motivated if you choose the right subjects. On that note, I didn't find managing my CAS hours too hard (as long as you plan everything out it's pretty okay), so if you love Art, I'd suggest you go for it. And with regards to the Economics class, if you can cope with the demands of the subject with a "bad" teacher, then you should be okay. It all depends on your ability. :smile: Again, this is just me speaking out of experience, but you definitely should do some research as to which subject combination is better for you in the long-run, in terms of university. :smile:
Hi there!

I'll start by agreeing with may135, choose the subjects you love as it will make going to class and studying 10 times easier than doing subjects you're not so keen on. As for Art HL, I did it as part of my diploma and I won't lie to you, you have to invest time and effort into it, but again, if you enjoy it, it's not going to be too bad. Also, if you have half decent time management skills and don't leave things until the night before (which I strongly advise against!), it's not going to horrendous. Getting CAS hours isn't that time consuming even though it may seem so, it's only 150 hours out of about 8700 in a year (I'd advise getting CAS out the way in year 1, that way you know it's done).

As for university, most British universities only really take note of the subjects you take at HL, some ask for a certain number of points scored at HL too. So if you're interested in say Law, either of those HL combinations would be fine, however, if you wanted to do something like Architecture, most UK unis want HL maths and/or physics.

I hope this makes some kind of sense!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending