The Student Room Group

Enligsh literature or English lit lang? *HELP!!*

Please help I am stuck on what A level to choose, I chose English lit lang a level but now I think I regret the choice!!

What are the pros and cons to taking literature and, what are the pros and cons to taking lit lang a level.

I've heard literature is more respected at universities?
Reply 1
Hey,
I just finished my A-Levels and took English Literature and I really enjoyed it :biggrin:
A few of my friends who took Lit Lang said the exams they had to do were ridiculous and complicated (aka comparing a menu with a radio script?)
Ultimately it depends where your strengths lie! English Literature is (or at least my course was) purely based on analysis of poetry, prose and drama, so if analysis isn't your strength and you prefer creative writing etc then stick with Lit Lang
I also heard English Literature is more sought after but again it depends on the course you want to do at uni!

At the end of the day, it depends on your strong points. Don't go for English Literature on the basis that it's more respected if analysis isn't an aspect of English you enjoy. Universities would much rather see a good grade in any subject than an average grade in a 'sought after' subject! Good luck!
I was originally going to choose English Literature for A-Levels but changed my mind and picked English lit and lang. Like stated in the above post, it depends on your strong points. Most importantly, it's up to you! I found I was better at Literature but picked combined and I'm quite happy I did. I enjoy the differences, studying texts and plays but still having the chance to look at speeches and dialect etc. I have friends who do Literature and they said they found it quite a bit more heavy compared to what I've been doing in combined. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, but I personally knew it wasn't for me. Ultimately, it's your choice. Whatever you decide to pick have fun and learn lots. :biggrin: Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest