The Student Room Group

Almost given up hope of ever getting a job.

So I have two degrees, (a 2.1 and a 1st),the most recent being in a healthcare profession from a Russell group uni. I have a moderate amount of experience from placements and from other voluntary stuff.

I've applied to about 40 vacancies since graduating. I've had 2 interviews which were both very unsuccessful. Both stating I was too inexperienced.

How can one be experienced if no one is willing to employ them? I'm not talking about a few days of work experience, these jobs want long term experience as a qualified professional.

I've also applied to lots of minimum wage Healthcare type jobs, and care home jobs. For which I have been rejected. I am assuming due to being over qualified.

I know I'm not entitled to a job, and I know there are people in far worse potions than me. I just felt like making this ranty post because I'm facing the prospect of turning 26 and still being unemployed and living with my parents.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Two degrees? :eek:

What are they and why did you take two degrees?
Original post by kka25
Two degrees? :eek:

What are they and why did you take two degrees?

One social science BA, one health care profession BSc (I won't say exactly what they were because it'll turn more into a debate about the value of certain degrees over others, and fundamentally it's not that important) . I did two because there were no postgraduate opportunities to do the second and that's what I wanted a career as.
Reply 3
Its hard to know without knowing what roles you've been applying for. Is a degree even a requirement for them?

Having no relavent work experience at your age is worrying though. Different sector but I did a placement year as part of my degree which helped get me a job afterwards.
Original post by Quady
Its hard to know without knowing what roles you've been applying for. Is a degree even a requirement for them?

Having no relavent work experience at your age is worrying though. Different sector but I did a placement year as part of my degree which helped get me a job afterwards.

It's in a specific healthcare profession, and yes you need a degree. (as you would with say.... Teaching). I do have a lot of experience as I undertook over 1000 hours of placements on the course, plus lots of voluntary and extra stuff. What these jobs want is experience as a qualified staff member, which I can't get.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
So I have two degrees, (a 2.1 and a 1st),the most recent being in a healthcare profession from a Russell group uni. I have a moderate amount of experience from placements and from other voluntary stuff.

I've applied to about 40 vacancies since graduating. I've had 2 interviews which were both very unsuccessful. Both stating I was too inexperienced.

How can one be experienced if no one is willing to employ them? I'm not talking about a few days of work experience, these jobs want long term experience as a qualified professional.

I've also applied to lots of minimum wage Healthcare type jobs, and care home jobs. For which I have been rejected. I am assuming due to being over qualified.

I know I'm not entitled to a job, and I know there are people in far worse potions than me. I just felt like making this ranty post because I'm facing the prospect of turning 26 and still being unemployed and living with my parents.

There is plenty of chances if you broaden your geographic horizon. My girlfriend came from Finland with no qualifications whatsoever (she's just finished high school) and after one week she'd secured a job in a care home already in Hertfordshire (where we live).
After you manage to fill your cv with some relevant non voluntary work, your profile will definitely get more attractive.

Now, all this assuming that both your applications are effective (ie well-presented cv, always followed by engaging cover letter) and your personality is suitable for the job (ie why did your interviews go wrong? Is it your fault?)
Are others from your course finding employment? Perhaps you could ask one of them for advice :smile:
Original post by Harvey008
There is plenty of chances if you broaden your geographic horizon. My girlfriend came from Finland with no qualifications whatsoever (she's just finished high school) and after one week she'd secured a job in a care home already in Hertfordshire (where we live).
After you manage to fill your cv with some relevant non voluntary work, your profile will definitely get more attractive.

Now, all this assuming that both your applications are effective (ie well-presented cv, always followed by engaging cover letter) and your personality is suitable for the job (ie why did your interviews go wrong? Is it your fault?)

I don't really want to move abroad at the moment, plus I'm not looking for minimum wage jobs (which I can't get cos I'm overqualified). It's just such a catch 22 situation, I've been applying for jobs all over the country and it's the same story.
What health care profession did you graduate in ?
How about changing tack completely and trying for a post graduate qualification?

With a first what about graduate medicine? Nottingham etc do it I believe. Wouldn't you get a grant etc. for that?

Or see if one of the Inns would give you a scholarship for the GDL - Graduate Diploma in Law. Long shot I know but as you have a first and if you interview well you may be lucky? After that you would apply for summer work experience and then a Training Contract LPC ( 2 years) to become a solicitor. I believe big firms may pay for the training.

Longer shot still you could do the BPTC (after the GDL) - Bar Professional Training Course ( 1 year) Again apply to one of the Inns for a scholarship. ( the best will give you the fees and subsistence too) The fees are very big so unless you have funds you'd be in trouble without.
After that you apply for a pupillage ) 1 year and very, very hard to get. You need great academics, work experienced etc.
Original post by pickup
How about changing tack completely and trying for a post graduate qualification?

With a first what about graduate medicine? Nottingham etc do it I believe. Wouldn't you get a grant etc. for that?

Or see if one of the Inns would give you a scholarship for the GDL - Graduate Diploma in Law. Long shot I know but as you have a first and if you interview well you may be lucky? After that you would apply for summer work experience and then a Training Contract LPC ( 2 years) to become a solicitor. I believe big firms may pay for the training.

Longer shot still you could do the BPTC (after the GDL) - Bar Professional Training Course ( 1 year) Again apply to one of the Inns for a scholarship. ( the best will give you the fees and subsistence too) The fees are very big so unless you have funds you'd be in trouble without.
After that you apply for a pupillage ) 1 year and very, very hard to get. You need great academics, work experienced etc.

No way I've already done 6 years of uni that's it now. I don't think I'd survive any more! Plus this is the career I want and have worked for for 3 years.. I don't want to change.
Original post by sunnydespair
What health care profession did you graduate in ?

I don't like to say on here, it's a HCPC registered profession... There's not that many of them. It's not really important when it comes to my overall situation, I could be in the same position having done any degree.
No way I've already done 6 years of uni that's it now. I don't think I'd survive any more! Plus this is the career I want and have worked for for 3 years.. I don't want to change.

Hmm, don't want to depress you anymore but I did 5 years at Uni initially and then did a professional qualification , worked for some years then guess what, ended up doing further qualifications and changing tack completely.

Nowadays this is nothing unusual. The idea that you do qualifications and then somehow get the job you qualified for or want is not necessarily going to happen, though I do remember feeling exactly as you describe.

Perhaps after a year or two 'resting' things may look different. Particularly if you've not had much work at the level you want. I do sympathise as I know it is very difficult. But, I found that money is also very important and eventually I had to have some.

Have you tried volunteering in the field you're interested in? or maybe getting a temporary or part time job as a way in?
I don't like to say on here, it's a HCPC registered profession... There's not that many of them. It's not really important when it comes to my overall situation, I could be in the same position having done any degree.

That's understandable. I'm sure you'll be able to get a job if you got a first in a professional area. You've just got to make sure you apply for entry positions that are aligned with the area that you are HCPC registered for.
My advice would be to volunteer at local hospital or care home.
Original post by jpowis123
My advice would be to volunteer at local hospital or care home.

I don't really want to volunteer. I need a job. I've tried getting minimum wage jobs in care homes and hospitals but I'm overqualified so they don't even consider my application. I don't think a few hours a week voluntary work is going to help my plight, considering I did loads at uni. The jobs im going for want professional experience, which is something I can't get. Seemingly hopeless. I wouldn't be so fussed if I'd just done a regular degree, but as I've trained for 3 years and am registered as a professional I feel like I should be able to at least get an entry level job in that profession!
Reply 16
I don't really want to volunteer. I need a job. I've tried getting minimum wage jobs in care homes and hospitals but I'm overqualified so they don't even consider my application.

I thought you said they required a degree when I asked if you even needed a degree...

Could you help me understand the seemingly mutually exclusive statements?
I don't really want to volunteer. I need a job. I've tried getting minimum wage jobs in care homes and hospitals but I'm overqualified so they don't even consider my application. I don't think a few hours a week voluntary work is going to help my plight, considering I did loads at uni. The jobs im going for want professional experience, which is something I can't get. Seemingly hopeless. I wouldn't be so fussed if I'd just done a regular degree, but as I've trained for 3 years and am registered as a professional I feel like I should be able to at least get an entry level job in that profession!

Cant you just tell us? You're worrying me slightly because I want to do diagnostic radiography and your description of your degree is matching it so far. Unless its:
Podiatry?
Physiotherapy?
Art therapy?
Audiology?
Optometry?
Therapeutic Radiography?
Orthoptics?
Prosthetics?
Dietetics/Nutrition Science?
Or none of the above?
Original post by Quady
I thought you said they required a degree when I asked if you even needed a degree...

Could you help me understand the seemingly mutually exclusive statements?

I'm applying to various types of jobs. Both my 'proper' job (requiring a degree) and minimum wage unqualified positions which don't require a degree.
Original post by plasmaman
Cant you just tell us? You're worrying me slightly because I want to do diagnostic radiography and your description of your degree is matching it so far. Unless its:
Podiatry?
Physiotherapy?
Art therapy?
Audiology?
Optometry?
Therapeutic Radiography?
Orthoptics?
Prosthetics?
Dietetics/Nutrition Science?
Or none of the above?

It's not radiography... Don't worry :smile: wow I didn't know some of those professions even existed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending