The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni?!

Hi everyone!

I'm about to start my second year at King's College London. I'm studying Liberal Arts which is a fairly new course (first year where there will be first, second and third years) and very interdiciplinary. I could use some advice. I'm thinking of dropping out. Why? I'm not really enjoying my course. My modules this year will be a mix of classics and philosophy. I don't have a passion for either of those subjects. I simply picked them because they were the ones I hated the least. I didn't really enjoy my modules last year. And it's not like this course is leading anywhere in terms of career prospects. The only thing I really like is the university atmosphere. But it's not worth getting into debt for. People around me keep saying that I'm gonna regret it and what a great uni KCL is etc.

Is there anyone who could offer me some advice. Possibly someone who's been in the same situation?
I'd see if you could transfer to another course that you'd enjoy more.
Reply 2
If you can't see it going anywhere, and aren't enjoying it, then it's potentially a very wise option to drop out now - in which case you will have only taken a year of funding. If you then decide to go back to university in a couple of years you can still do a fully funded course. It's that, or you stick it out to the end just to get the bit of paper that ticks a box. It depends whether you think you can do yourself enough justice if you're not happy.

Everyone is different, and not everybody ends up on the right course. Out of the people I went to college with I think there's only been myself, and one other person who has actually enjoyed their course enough. The other four have all just hated it in various ways (course, city, university, combination of).
Reply 3
Original post by Nymthae
If you can't see it going anywhere, and aren't enjoying it, then it's potentially a very wise option to drop out now - in which case you will have only taken a year of funding. If you then decide to go back to university in a couple of years you can still do a fully funded course. It's that, or you stick it out to the end just to get the bit of paper that ticks a box. It depends whether you think you can do yourself enough justice if you're not happy.

Everyone is different, and not everybody ends up on the right course. Out of the people I went to college with I think there's only been myself, and one other person who has actually enjoyed their course enough. The other four have all just hated it in various ways (course, city, university, combination of).

Thank you for your reply. My dilemma is to stick it out or not. I'm an EU student so studying in my home country would be free, which is why I'm having a hard time justifying a degree that I don't enjoy in addition to being super expensive. Had I loved the course and if it would eventually get me to where I want to be in life, I would have considered it wise to spend the money. What also bugs me a lot is that it is such a good uni, in terms of getting a good job. Gah this is so hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending