The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of Uni and apply for Medicine...Again

Hi guys,

At a real cross roads here, for the past two years since leaving school, i've applied for medicine and been rejected (because both times i got a poor UKCAT because I probably didn't study for it enough). In my second medicine application I also applied as chemical engineering as a back up choice. I've always only ever wanted to do medicine but when the rejections came rolling in second time round, I felt that I needed to get back into study so applied for and got accepted for chemical engineering as my fifth choice. Now that I'm here, I'm really starting to think that I made the wrong choice not applying for a third time round as medicine is all the I want to do. Questions: how bad an idea would it be to apply again for 2015 entry (would need to do my UKCAT asap) medicine? Would I be stupid to drop out of my course and try get in for 2015 or 2016? Or am I just never going to be a medic and have to settle for the thing that interests me most other than medicine (Chem Eng)? All feedback no matter how blunt or brutal is welcome, I want your guys honest opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Face the reality; you got rejected for medicine by all four universities TWICE. Medicine is just not ever going to happen for you and obviously 8 sets of admissions tutors felt that you weren't suited to it. Move on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pectorac
Face the reality; you got rejected for medicine by all four universities TWICE. Medicine is just not ever going to happen for you and obviously 8 sets of admisions tutors felt that you weren't suited to it. Move on.

A little harsh?! Plenty of people take multiple applications to get in to medicine it does not mean that they would not be excellent doctors.
Original post by ForestCat
A little harsh?! Plenty of people take multiple applications to get in to medicine it does not mean that they would not be excellent doctors.

He said to be blunt. Not getting any offers at all from 8 applications surely means he is not suited to medicine; plenty of people get offers and don't meet the requirements in the end, then reapply and get in on their second cycle, etc. Not getting 1 offer out of 8 obviously indicates that medicine just isn't for him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

But he does have a point, is the reality that I won't ever get in? Because I've got the grades, have a good personal statement and reference, but just did so bad at my UKCAT. I'm not a niave person, does this just mean it is the end of the road for that dream?
Reply 5
can you still apply whilst carrying on your course this year? If so then why not, from my experience UKCAT is a lottery so still a chance you could get a good score. Have you spoken to parents etc about it? but I would say go for it if you really want it, if not you may always regret it.
Reply 6
Original post by jwdhf
can you still apply whilst carrying on your course this year? If so then why not, from my experience UKCAT is a lottery so still a chance you could get a good score. Have you spoken to parents etc about it? but I would say go for it if you really want it, if not you may always regret it.

I'm not sure about the applying still on the course. My parents have always supported me and said if I wanted to take another year out I could, but it was just the fact I got no interviews/8 that put me off. Realistically, would they have rejected me with good everything but just a bad UKCAT, or would it have definitely been my personal statement as well?
Reply 7
did they say specifically it was for UKCAT score ? or have you assumed this? what did the people at your school/friends say about your personal statement? did you change it between the two applications? Do you mind me asking if your grades were solid?

I'm reapplying this year as well so can understand your feelings!!!!
Original post by Pectorac
He said to be blunt. Not getting any offers at all from 8 applications surely means he is not suited to medicine; plenty of people get offers and don't meet the requirements in the end, then reaply and get in, etc. Not getting 1 offer out of 8 obviously indicates that medicine just isn't for him.

Original post by Mark_95
But he does have a point, is the reality that I won't ever get in? Because I've got the grades, have a good personal statement and reference, but just did so bad at my UKCAT. I'm not a niave person, does this just mean it is the end of the road for that dream?

Not necessarily. It may just mean he didn't apply stategically enough. For many unis if you don't meet certain criteria (ukcat score etc) the rest of your application doesn't even get looked at.

OP I don't really know what to say without knowing your stats etc and I am not the most knowledgeable about undergrad applications as I applied as a graduate. I know most places don't like you applying for medicine when you're on another course, but it can be (and has been) done.

If you're considering graduate entry you have to be doing a degree that you enjoy and can do well in. Getting at least a 2.1 often matters more than what it is in.

Of course it may also be a touch of freshers blues... A lot of people feel a bit disillusioned when they start uni and question whether it is right for them and for you you've also got the question of would the grass be greener if you were doing medicine. Its quite possible it will all settle down soon and you will find yourself really enjoying your current course.
Reply 9
Original post by jwdhf
did they say specifically it was for UKCAT score ? or have you assumed this? what did the people at your school/friends say about your personal statement? did you change it between the two applications? Do you mind me asking if your grades were solid?

I'm reapplying this year as well so can understand your feelings!!!!

Yeah UKCAT not high enough and for my second UKCAT i still didn't prepare enough
Original post by Mark_95
I'm not sure about the applying still on the course. My parents have always supported me and said if I wanted to take another year out I could, but it was just the fact I got no interviews/8 that put me off. Realistically, would they have rejected me with good everything but just a bad UKCAT, or would it have definitely been my personal statement as well?

I think if it was all pre-interview rejections then it says more about your application (and uni choices) than you. 8 post interview rejections may suggest something about you that is wrong for medicine but if you didn't even get interviews it suggests the problem lies in ps, uni choices (did you apply to heavy ukcat unis?) etc
How do you know it was your UKCAT that let you down for each rejection? It does show commitment to a career that you want to try and try again but it is poorly strategised to apply to all UKCAT unis with a poor UKCAT.

UKCAT is not like BMAT where you apply blindly without knowing how well you'll do in the exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12

If you're considering graduate entry you have to be doing a degree that you enjoy and can do well in. Getting at least a 2.1 often matters more than what it is in.

Of course it may also be a touch of freshers blues... A lot of people feel a bit disillusioned when they start uni and question whether it is right for them and for you you've also got the question of would the grass be greener if you were doing medicine. Its quite possible it will all settle down soon and you will find yourself really enjoying your current course.

I realise that applying to graduate entry with chemical engineering isn't the best situation so that's why I'm thinking it's now to apply or never. Application wise got straight As for highers and AAB for advanced highers. Loads of volunterring, some work experinece, DUX of school, play for a footy team. UKCAT was like 620 (which i now know is pretty garbage). Do you think if I bumped that up to 680+ I would have a chance?
Reply 13
I only applied to Scottish Unis and I think they might hold the UKCAT scores Highly
Reply 14
Completely agree, I feel the fact that all rejections have been pre interview should be looked on positively. I think being rejected at interview 8 times would be concerning. Have you thought about applying to a school which dosn't use the UKCAT? I have heard leeds are going to stop using it this year i think :smile:
Original post by Mark_95
I realise that applying to graduate entry with chemical engineering isn't the best situation so that's why I'm thinking it's now to apply or never. Application wise got straight As for highers and AAB for advanced highers. Loads of volunterring, some work experinece, DUX of school, play for a footy team. UKCAT was like 620 (which i now know is pretty garbage). Do you think if I bumped that up to 680+ I would have a chance?

Chemical engineering is fine for plenty of grad courses, like I said it is more important to get at least a 2.1 ( your choices are much more limited by getting a 2.2 than by doing chem engineering). Its more a case of will you enjoy it enough to do well.

I can't really comment on your stats as I don't know much about the requirements when it comes to highers and advanced highers. If you got a higher ukcat it may help but it would depend where you applied. Previously did you only apply to Scottish schools?
Have you looked at how your grades would fare at non ukcat universities?
Original post by Mark_95
I only applied to Scottish Unis and I think they might hold the UKCAT scores Highly

That will be where your problem lies. With a low ukcat score it is pointless (no offence) to apply to universities that heavily use ukcat.
That would explain your rejections not that you are incapable of studying medicine or becoming a Dr. Do not lose faith in yourself.
Reply 17
Right cheers for all the feedback guys. I've got some serious thinking to do in not very much time because the deadlines for everything are really soon. Thanks for all the comments :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Mark_95
Yeah UKCAT not high enough and for my second UKCAT i still didn't prepare enough

Why? This is incomprehensible to me.
Reply 19
Original post by HCubed
Why? This is incomprehensible to me.

The honest plain answer, I am an idiot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending