The Student Room Group

Why do women have long hair in just about every culture?

If you exclude black people's hair which is generally kept short in both genders for practical reasons then pretty much every other race has the long hair woman standard. And another thing : why do women cut their hair short and/or dye it after a certain age?

Scroll to see replies

Because we like long hair? :dontknow:

And I suppose that when you have kids etc shorter hair is more manageable. And in terms of dying it - most women dye it when they start going grey?
Because it can make them look pretty and sometimes even beautiful!
Reply 3
Original post by Precious Illusions
Because we like long hair? :dontknow:

And I suppose that when you have kids etc shorter hair is more manageable. And in terms of dying it - most women dye it when they start going grey?

That's the question, why? Why do women everywhere have long hair and why do they cut it short and/or dye it when older? Why don't most men do that?
Original post by obidobi
That's the question, why? Why do women everywhere have long hair and why do they cut it short and/or dye it when older? Why don't most men do that?

Well, I have hair down to my butt. I have it that long because I feel it suits me best and I can do so much more with it than I could do with short hair.

And I said above why I think most women cut it shorter/dye it when they get to a certain age :smile: can't say why men don't, I guess because men often have pretty short hair anyway and dying it is just more typically done by females?
Original post by obidobi
If you exclude black people's hair which is generally kept short in both genders for practical reasons then pretty much every other race has the long hair woman standard. And another thing : why do women cut their hair short and/or dye it after a certain age?

Started dying my hair when I was 12 as my natural colour wasn't very nice, and I keep it longer as I can do more with it that way.

My mum got her hair cut shorter as she felt it was more age appropriate, and doesn't like the look of older people with long hair for whatever reason. She does her hair to get rid of the dark roots - but like me she has been dying her hair since teens so it's just routine.

Got to admit, I think older women with shorter hair look 'fresher' (wrong word but whatever :P).

I'd assume people who don't always due their hair will do it at a later age for grey hair like someone said above though
Reply 6
women look better if they have longer hair then shorter hair, not that it's a case of the longer the better.
I love having long hair. Short hair makes my face look dumb.
There are several reasons for this:

- Longer hair is preceived as being more feminine.
- Most women can pull off longer hair but not many look great with short hair.
- You can do so many different hairstyles with longer hair. You're a bit limited with short hair.
Original post by slade p
women look better if they have longer hair then shorter hair, not that it's a case of the longer the better.

Sorry but I look better with short hair since I have a striking face. Long hair does nothing for me.

If anything long hair disguises ugly facial features so I guess you're right in a sense.
Because it's pretty. :flutter:

It's associated with femininity. Whenever I tell my mum that I wanna cut my hair she gets this look on her face like she wants to hit me around the head with one of her saucepans. :redface: She starts telling me off really badly in Bengali but then I do it anyway. :h: Asian women are crazy about it. No idea why. My guess is because it's to do with looking more feminine/attractive. They lather oil on their kid's hair so it grows faster and thicker. I do it to my nephew's hair. :innocent:
in african tribes a lot of women are bald.
Original post by Marky Mark
Sorry but I look better with short hair since I have a striking face. Long hair does nothing for me.

If anything long hair disguises ugly facial features so I guess you're right in a sense.

in your opinion
Reply 13
Even then quite a lot of black women keep their hair fairly long when going natural.

It's just that for some black women it's hard to tell where the extensions start and the real hair ends.
Original post by Carpe Vinum
I love having long hair. Short hair makes my face look dumb.

you look good either way i'd say.
It depends on how you wear it, but I don't think it necessarily looks feminine; it can look really good on some guys. It's more a matter of how you style it. It is meant to have connotations of youth and vividness, however.
It keeps me warm in winter because that my friend is very important
If you have short hair you've got to go to the hairdressers regularly. So having long hair is cheaper.
Original post by ChickenMadness
in your opinion

I look good and I'm hot. This is a fact.

Sorry but you're just hating on my hotness.
It is thought to be a sign of fertility. So longer and shinier hair correlates to women being more fertile etc.

Quick Reply

Latest