The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School (HYMS) 2015 entry

Poll

UKCAT- If you are applying/ considering applying

Hey guys, couldnt find a thread for hyms. Wondering whose applying here. I'm still debating

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/docs/default-source/hyms-downloads/selection-process-2015-final6b82d741f5a663a6b89aff0000566ee8.pdf?sfvrsn=0
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nikhi123
Hey guys, couldnt find a thread for hyms. Wondering whose applying here. I'm still debating

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/docs/default-source/hyms-downloads/selection-process-2015-final6b82d741f5a663a6b89aff0000566ee8.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I'm thinking of applying too but i'm not sure how competitive my score before interview will be. 30 + 40 + 15 = 85/95 To me my score seems far too low but i can't be certain until I get some sort of gist as to what the threshold will be like. What was your score? :smile:
I'm a resitter so still need confirmation on whether they'll accept my circumstances, but I think I should get between 88 and 90 /95 depending on whether the top 8 has to include sciences as I got 2 A's in chem and bio.

I think a competitive score will be like 70 and above?

i got 3040 in UKCAT xD damn it!!

This point scoring is based off of last year where scores were noticeably higher so I doubt many people will be getting full marks as only about 4-5% of applicants will have 3050+!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dr. Django
I'm a resitter so still need confirmation on whether they'll accept my circumstances, but I think I should get between 88 and 90 /95 depending on whether the top 8 has to include sciences as I got 2 A's in chem and bio.

I think a competitive score will be like 70 and above?

i got 3040 in UKCAT xD damn it!!

This point scoring is based off of last year where scores were noticeably higher so I doubt many people will be getting full marks as only about 4-5% of applicants will have 3050+!

3040, Well Done! :smile: On seconds thoughts I might not apply to hyms. Its so competitive i reckon 88/95 will be the cut off, however you should definitely go for it!!
Original post by FrankTHEsehlat
3040, Well Done! :smile: On seconds thoughts I might not apply to hyms. Its so competitive i reckon 88/95 will be the cut off, however you should definitely go for it!!

Trust me it'll be lower than that! To get 88+ People need a UKCAT in top 10-15% nationwide...I don't think everyone will have that! For sure 85 will be enough, but it's up to you of course, if you think you're guaranteed interviews elsewhere then go for them I guess!
I'm applying with 2720 band 1, I think this will be enough considering it says 2650 was a typical score to meet entry requirements. But this means I only have 71/95 O.o
(edited 9 years ago)
Will 80/95 be safe?
Reply 7
i would have 25 + 34 + 15 = 74/95 eeee so not that great
Morning guys,
I'm a first year at HYMS York campus. Throw me any questions you have and I'll try and answer them the best I can :smile:

Good luck to you all! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi guys and gals what are the chances of interview with a ukcat of 715, sit adj 1. the academics are:

9 GCSE's A* 1 A, AS 4 A's Biol Chem Maths & Hist, A2 predicted A*A*A*.

Appreciate your help and advice

Many thanks
Original post by mister K
Hi guys and gals what are the chances of interview with a ukcat of 715, sit adj 1. the academics are:

9 GCSE's A* 1 A, AS 4 A's Biol Chem Maths & Hist, A2 predicted A*A*A*.

Appreciate your help and advice

Many thanks

I reckon you'll get one
Original post by nikhi123

Hmmm is there something like this to account for graduates? I meet there admissions criteria which is stated for degrees but theres nothing about scoring. I imagine therefore theres a different process?

It does say also that applications wont be considered under 2450 and below 400 in VR and below 500 in any of the others. So atleast UKCAT wise id be okay but cant gauge where I stand with academic scoring - as my GCSEs weren't stellar.
Reply 12
I'm an international student with score of 80/95. I really don't whether this score is high enough to get an interview...
Reply 13
Original post by alexSH
I'm an international student with score of 80/95. I really don't whether this score is high enough to get an interview...

Absolutely high enough-you'd be in with a great shot :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by 2018
Absolutely high enough-you'd be in with a great shot :smile:

What brought you to that assumption exactly?
Reply 15
Experience! Haha I've helped quite a few applicants in my time :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by 2018
Experience! Haha I've helped quite a few applicants in my time :wink:

Yeah that doesn't really give you the right to go telling of people's chances without any real evidence.
Reply 17
Has anyone been on an open day to Hull/York(particularly Hull)? How have you found it? I'm thinking of a lateish swap, putting out Liverpool (where I have less chance of interview but I like the uni and area) for HYMS (good chance of interview, but a bit..meh on Hull/York). However I'm very happy for that perception to be proved wrong. I dunno, I kind of think both Hull and York to be a bit 'boring', espiecally Hull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by g.k.galloway
Morning guys,
I'm a first year at HYMS York campus. Throw me any questions you have and I'll try and answer them the best I can :smile:

Good luck to you all! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually maybe my above queries would be better directed to you 😳
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ja1
Has anyone been on an open day to Hull/York(particularly Hull)? How have you found it? I'm thinking of a lateish swap, putting out Liverpool (where I have less chance of interview but I like the uni and area) for HYMS (good chance of interview, but a bit..meh on Hull/York). However I'm very happy for that perception to be proved wrong. I dunno, I kind of think both Hull and York to be a bit 'boring', espiecally Hull.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a current HYMS fresher in York I can assure you our cohort and our university our far from boring :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply