The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

chance of getting into imperial?

In my AS I got 3 b's in physics, maths and bio, I got c in chemistry, dropped chemistry.
My A2 targets are A*AA. I have a LOT of experience. I want to do biology, they ask for aaa. I am getting an amazing reference, and also have extenuating circumstances - last year I missed 29 days of sixth form.
Do I stand a chance of getting in to imperial for biology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're having to declare your AS levels, your chances aren't great. Imperial won't care much for work experience or an amazing reference, they'd much rather see amazing grades. Also, I don't really think misssing 29 days of sixth form in itself is an extenuating circumstance - I missed at least twice as many days each year because most lessons weren't worth turning up to. I'm assuming you missed 29 consecutive days of sixth form for a good reason?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by academichopeful
In my AS I got 3 b's in physics, maths and bio, I got c in chemistry, dropped chemistry.
My A2 targets are A*AA. I have a LOT of experience. I want to do biology, they ask for aaa. I am getting an amazing reference, and also have extenuating circumstances - last year I missed 29 days of sixth form.

You got BBBC so your chances are really low. Regardless of whatever the 29 days were for, they will probably have expected you to catch up with the days you missed. To be honest, you'll probably have the lowest grades out of the applicants for AS so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Depends what those extenuating circumstances were, if it's something terrible like a close person to you passed away then you would stand a chance, but if you got sick or tuberculosis for a month then it's still no excuse
Reply 4
Original post by elias_123
Depends what those extenuating circumstances were, if it's something terrible like a close person to you passed away then you would stand a chance, but if you got sick or tuberculosis for a month then it's still no excuse

Being ill for a month and missing out on a months work sounds a pretty good excuse to me...
Original post by yl95
You got BBBC so your chances are really low. Regardless of whatever the 29 days were for, they will probably have expected you to catch up with the days you missed. To be honest, you'll probably have the lowest grades out of the applicants for AS so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

I second this. If you want to get into Imperial that badly you should resit year 12 and get a new batch of AS grades. Even if you decide to do the full AS and A2 in 1 year, the only thing they have to go on atm are your AS Levels and gcses. And those AS grades will definitely work against you - even if they're not representative of your true ability.

If I were you, I would just go to another uni like Manchester, Birmingham, etc. At undergraduate level, the quality of teaching is what is most valuable to students. University rankings are heavily based upon research quality and not undergraduate level teaching quality.

Your third option us taking a gap year and applying with your full A level grades - and as a side note, I'd recommend chem instead of physics because chem is more useful for a bio degree.
Hey, I don't mean to hijack the thread but can someone help me see if I stand any chance at EE at Imperial.

GCSEs: 9 A*, 1A (stupid poetry paper) and an A grade in FSMQ.

AS: A in Maths ( few ums off an A* re-sitting C4) , B in Physics (few ums off A, re-sitting paper 2) and B in Chemistry(re-sitting paper 1 & 2). Doing Further Maths this year.

Predicted Grades: A*AA . I haven't included Chemistry because from what I know, they'll be looking at my FM, but it was a B.

Nuffield Research Placement over the summer in 3G networks- involved doing a literature review and writing a report

Extracurriculars:

Won national debate competition in House of Lords

Building earth field magnetometers for school project

Narrowly missed going to the finals in national investment and finance competition. Came 4th in South East England region

Strong Personal Statement.

Good reference.

The Imperial EE website and an admissions tutor said they interview all applicants so can a stellar interview make up for lackluster grades?
Your AS's are on the low side. I got 12 A* at GCSE and A*AA at AS (did Maths a year early, A in Chem and Phy) and got the Imperial offer (was part of the first batch of interviewees)

If they give you the offer they may give you a tough one like 2 A*s.

Not impossible - just shine at the interview. Due to my grades the interviewer told me I'd be getting an offer just after my interview.

Original post by halalsushi
Hey, I don't mean to hijack the thread but can someone help me see if I stand any chance at EE at Imperial.

GCSEs: 9 A*, 1A (stupid poetry paper) and an A grade in FSMQ.

AS: A in Maths ( few ums off an A* re-sitting C4) , B in Physics (few ums off A, re-sitting paper 2) and B in Chemistry(re-sitting paper 1 & 2). Doing Further Maths this year.

Predicted Grades: A*AA . I haven't included Chemistry because from what I know, they'll be looking at my FM, but it was a B.

Nuffield Research Placement over the summer in 3G networks- involved doing a literature review and writing a report

Extracurriculars:

Won national debate competition in House of Lords

Building earth field magnetometers for school project

Narrowly missed going to the finals in national investment and finance competition. Came 4th in South East England region

Strong Personal Statement.

Good reference.

The Imperial EE website and an admissions tutor said they interview all applicants so can a stellar interview make up for lackluster grades?
Original post by Stickman
Your AS's are on the low side. I got 12 A* at GCSE and A*AA at AS (did Maths a year early, A in Chem and Phy) and got the Imperial offer (was part of the first batch of interviewees)

Not impossible - just shine at the interview. Due to my grades the interviewer told me I'd be getting an offer just after my interview.

Thanks for the answer. What kind of questions do they ask at interview - maths, physics and logic? I hope they do as I'll need to show them my grades don't reflect my ability.

Does it matter if you apply early (Oct 15) or slightly later (first week of November)?
Original post by halalsushi
Thanks for the answer. What kind of questions do they ask at interview - maths, physics and logic? I hope they do as I'll need to show them my grades don't reflect my ability.

Does it matter if you apply early (Oct 15) or slightly later (first week of November)?

Apply early. You get interview dates quicker and they already start sending offers. Yeah interview is basically M1, Unit 1 Physics, but also can be beginning of A2 physics. That's what I got anyway

Hey :smile:

I'm about to start my biology degree at Imperial so might be able to help.
As others have said, those are low AS grades for somewhere like Imperial where they expect AAA at A2. Now you could be predicted that but you need the evidence behind it. Great GCSEs, great personal statement, great reference, great work experience. All this. For biology you do not get interviewed and you don't do an admissions test so all they have to go on is what is written down on paper, making it slightly harder for someone with lower grades. If that 29 days missed really did have an effect make sure it goes in your reference. I mean for example, if it was right before the exams, fair enough, if it was at the beginning of the year then it is no excuse. I'm guessing you will be retaking your ASs. Was it one exam that let you done? Like in Biology did you get AAE like that across the 3 units? If so, mention that. If all exams were BBB that might be a bit more of a problem.

You should definitely apply but make sure it is your "optimistic choice" because realistically, you haven't got the best chance in the world, you definitely have a chance but be prepared to not get in. You could always take a gap year or retake year 12.

EDIT: This guy is a troll (probably). Just had a look at his other threads and hes asking if he has a chance of getting into cambridge to do maths since he got AAAA at AS and A*A*A* predictions. Oh, and another asking about getting into law at Oxford and LSE. Nice one. (Unless this thread is serious and the cambridge was just a troll...I'd be careful what threads you post).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11

Did you have a 3 or 4 grade offer? And did they include your maths taken a year early. I'm applying with A*aa for CompSci and was wondering what sort of offer to expect (if I get one of course! :biggrin:)
Original post by TVIO
Did you have a 3 or 4 grade offer? And did they include your maths taken a year early. I'm applying with A*aa for CompSci and was wondering what sort of offer to expect (if I get one of course! :biggrin:)

I applied with A*aac - the 'c' was in french and they gave me an AAA offer. I dropped French and decided to do the full chemistry A Level in 1 year. My A* was in maths.

Just make sure you do well in the interview and the admissions test.
Original post by TVIO

It was a 3 grade offer - I had anticipated it to be a bit easier since I had already achieved A* in maths, but they again specified an A* in physics. It was essentially A*A*A, whereas my other friends received an A*AA offer.
Reply 14
It was a 3 grade offer - I had anticipated it to be a bit easier since I had already achieved A* in maths, but they again specified an A* in physics. It was essentially A*A*A, whereas my other friends received an A*AA offer.

Thanks very much for the answer. So did you have 3 A2s(excluding maths)? I still get a horrible feeling that they might give me some sort of A*A*AA offer to make me work because I'm doing relevant(ish) subjects (Further Maths,Physics,Computing).
Original post by TVIO
Thanks very much for the answer. So did you have 3 A2s(excluding maths)? I still get a horrible feeling that they might give me some sort of A*A*AA offer to make me work because I'm doing relevant(ish) subjects (Further Maths,Physics,Computing).

Yes 3 A2s. Don't worry though. They expect you to achieve grades like those in the hope that you'll do well at imperial. No point getting Bs and Cs at A level still thinking you'll excel at Imperial.
Reply 16
Yes 3 A2s. Don't worry though. They expect you to achieve grades like those in the hope that you'll do well at imperial. No point getting Bs and Cs at A level still thinking you'll excel at Imperial.

That's a good way of looking at it I suppose. Thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Munrot07
Hey :smile:

I'm about to start my biology degree at Imperial so might be able to help.
As others have said, those are low AS grades for somewhere like Imperial where they expect AAA at A2. Now you could be predicted that but you need the evidence behind it. Great GCSEs, great personal statement, great reference, great work experience. All this. For biology you do not get interviewed and you don't do an admissions test so all they have to go on is what is written down on paper, making it slightly harder for someone with lower grades. If that 29 days missed really did have an effect make sure it goes in your reference. I mean for example, if it was right before the exams, fair enough, if it was at the beginning of the year then it is no excuse. I'm guessing you will be retaking your ASs. Was it one exam that let you done? Like in Biology did you get AAE like that across the 3 units? If so, mention that. If all exams were BBB that might be a bit more of a problem.

You should definitely apply but make sure it is your "optimistic choice" because realistically, you haven't got the best chance in the world, you definitely have a chance but be prepared to not get in. You could always take a gap year or retake year 12.

EDIT: This guy is a troll (probably). Just had a look at his other threads and hes asking if he has a chance of getting into cambridge to do maths since he got AAAA at AS and A*A*A* predictions. Oh, and another asking about getting into law at Oxford and LSE. Nice one. (Unless this thread is serious and the cambridge was just a troll...I'd be careful what threads you post).

Hello,
I'm applying for biology to Imperial this year!
What is the course like? How is the uni in general?
Thanks!!
I have 4As 3Bs and 2Cs in my O levels and An A*AAAB in my AS. Do I have any chances for imperial computer science
Currently studying maths, physics, economics at A-level. Predicted grades are A* A* A. I am interested in studying the aeronautics course (MEng) at Imperial. Will not studying further maths affect my chances? At GCSE level I achieved 3A*s (including maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending