The Student Room Group

Getting my brain to understand how to eat proper

Now first off I am not looking for an answer like "oh well X food is healthy cheap and easy to cook" or "theres no fruit and veg in your diet" its more that I psychologically have a mindset of I eat to get energy or that feeling weak is the same as being hungry i.e if I stayed up over 24 hours I can down a 2 litre bottle of pop in under a hour yet normally that can last 2-3 days, that I would be too weak to cook but then would raid my cupboard to get food to just eat.

When I sleep normally and get up I just eat whenever I feel like it so I hardly eat during the day but by evening when I am so tired I can barely stand I can just eat what I can, but then there is a difference between just being tired and being spread out on chair i.e if I was slumped out in front of a film in evening but not tired I would not eat at all so can pretty much starve the entire day(this is uncommon now but before I had depression about 6 years ago used to be a daily thing)

Boredom eating is more I am out of my comfort zone and a bit of a childish urge to treat myself i.e I do not leave the house for days then feel like going to the city, when there I decide on a meal and get a buffet, I actually eat a small portion at buffet as physically I am not hungry and get full on one plate(going back to in my mind again) 5 minutes after leaving I am "starving" again and by evening my stomach rumbles and I walk by something like a pub that has a meal deal on and I wish I could get a meal deal there instead of going to the buffet

Is any of this making sense? if not to be clear most of the time I either undereat or eat a small takeaway(i.e a burger and chips) and nothing else all day, if I am up early I feel less hungry in general but still not full/satisfied

For example for the last 2 days I have changed my diet hugely as been a bit groggy and trying to empty fridge of out of date food, had 6 pieces of cheese and toast(just crumbs of chese on though as leftovers) had rice and chicken with gravy, and some profiteroles, yesterday had a huge amount of rice as made too much, more chicken and gravy and a tin of cheap spag bol and a small sponge, though my stomach wasnt rumbling at any point I felt like I needed to eat and was so drowsy and tired all day(change in weather I think)

Today I wanted to treat to a takeaway for the only reason its buy one get one free on pizzas on Tuesdays, I do have some butchers sausages defrosted but want to leave the house as not left it since Saturday and want to clear my head.

Just trying to find a way to train my head to not just expect food for the sake of it and to balance out eating food so if I am feeling weak I can have a small snack to boost energy and the main thing to feel "satisfied" right now if I eat a takeaway I dont feel satisfied as such but as it makes me feel heavy and bloated my brain understands not to eat anymore when eating healthily fills me up but my stomach feels light so my brain expects more.

Quick Reply

Latest