The Student Room Group

History teacher has a policy of not predicting A* grades...

I got 99.5% in AS History (dropped 1 mark overall) and I was surprised to learn that my predicted grade for A2 is an A. She agreed to mention my UMS in the reference. Yet I wish to apply to Durham, and although I'm applying for International Relations, where they do not ask for an A* in the typical offer, it stands to reason that I'm going to be disadvantaged by this policy.

My question is, if my UMS is mentioned in the reference, will this be taken into account?, or will this just make them question further why I'm not predicted an A* despite such prior achievement. It's absolutely stupid logic.
My school also has the policy of not predicting A*s unless they are a requirement of the course you are applying to ~ don't worry, if the course doesn't stipulate an A*, it shouldn't be taken against you, as long as your UMS is written in your reference.

If in doubt, you can always complain - just think that when you get the A* you'll be proving your teacher wrong!!
Original post by Alex347_
I got 99.5% in AS History (dropped 1 mark overall) and I was surprised to learn that my predicted grade for A2 is an A. She agreed to mention my UMS in the reference. Yet I wish to apply to Durham, and although I'm applying for International Relations, where they do not ask for an A* in the typical offer, it stands to reason that I'm going to be disadvantaged by this policy.

My question is, if my UMS is mentioned in the reference, will this be taken into account?, or will this just make them question further why I'm not predicted an A* despite such prior achievement. It's absolutely stupid logic.

I think it is slightly unfair that you haven't been predicted an A* considering your amazing achievement, however I think they would see your UMS and know you are very capable. I don't think you'll be disadvantaged at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by fortunaisland
My school also has the policy of not predicting A*s unless they are a requirement of the course you are applying to ~ don't worry, if the course doesn't stipulate an A*, it shouldn't be taken against you, as long as your UMS is written in your reference.

If in doubt, you can always complain - just think that when you get the A* you'll be proving your teacher wrong!!

The thing is I'm sick of having to prove my ability to the bloody History department. I got 98% in GCSE and 99.5% in AS, and still clearly, it isn't enough. Honestly some school's have a really odd logic.
The thing is I'm sick of having to prove my ability to the bloody History department. I got 98% in GCSE and 99.5% in AS, and still clearly, it isn't enough. Honestly some school's have a really odd logic.

I know, it's stupid isn't it! Well done of your amazing results by the way :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fortunaisland
I know, it's stupid isn't it! Well done of your amazing results by the way :smile:

Thank you, lets hope admissions tutors are so complimentary :P
Thank you, lets hope admissions tutors are so complimentary :P

I'm sure they will, as long as you have a really strong PS and reference
Reply 7
if it helps youre not alone
Reply 8
Original post by nmjasdk
if it helps youre not alone

Well it sort of does help psychologically that nobody else in my class is predicted an A*, but tbf many of my competitors I guess will be Etonians and the like, who have like 50,000 A*'s. Anyway, I have cooled down. Thanks everybody!

Quick Reply

Latest