The Student Room Group

Difficulty with landlord

Hi guys;

Feeling really trapped. I am currently disabled student at college; and have my own accomodation (bedsit.)

Earlier today; I was sleeping in my room and I heard a noise; the key was getting turned in my door and it was my landlord, who without knocking, had just let himself in.

I was very unhappy with the intrusion, whilst it pertains to scaffolding work that is to take place, that is not due to commence until tomorrow, and I thought a note under the door would have sufficed.

Another time he saw me in the street; in response to me claiming I needed a new sofa; and upon coming into my room started complaining aggressively about the room and the tidiness of it:

"your putting me at risk of losing my HMO license. Why do you choose to live like this? Do you have problems?"

I find him a nasty, aggressive bully; who is tight fisted with anysort of expense, and I am living in total fear of doing ANYTHING wrong lest I get evicted :frown:
First point, he must give you 24 hours notice to enter the property. Landlord and Tenants Act 1985 section 8.

Was the house tidy? In most tenancy agreements there will be a clause pertaining to keeping the property in a good state. If any clause in the agreement is broken the landlord may serve an eviction notice at his own discretion.

If you believe that your landlord is breaking the law you can speak to the council who should have a Tenancy Relations Officer who has the ability to press charges if it is necessary.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
Was the house tidy? In most tenancy agreements there will be a clause pertaining to keeping the property in a good state

Unenforceable. The deposit scheme and courts will only seek to ensure that the property is returned to its original state. What state you keep the property in during this time is none of the landlord's business.

If any clause in the agreement is broken the landlord may serve an eviction notice at his own discretion.

Can try. If it is within the fixed tenancy period this is likely to be very costly and will take, at a minimum, a good few months. Assuming they succeed.

If you believe that your landlord is breaking the law you can speak to the council who should have a Tenancy Relations Officer who has the ability to press charges if it is necessary.

Dont bother. Spend £15 and change the locks. Keep the original lock and replace it when you move out.
Original post by Reue
Unenforceable. The deposit scheme and courts will only seek to ensure that the property is returned to its original state. What state you keep the property in during this time is none of the landlord's business.

Can try. If it is within the fixed tenancy period this is likely to be very costly and will take, at a minimum, a good few months. Assuming they succeed.

Better safe than sorry. I would rather keep my landlord on side, in case something serious cropped up in the future.

Quick Reply