The Student Room Group

AHHHH !! Medical school no go

hey guys ,

so as you can probably tell from my user name I reaaaallllyyy want to be a doctor - in particular a children's doctor.

however my As levels ....not so pretty so i just wondered what course is best to do - child nursing or neurology for post graduate application.

I know nursing has the clinical experience and I have a job at the end of it however, neuroscience is a subject that i am mad about and it is at the uni i want to study medicine in, but im not guaranteed work straight after :frown:

My GCSES were A* , D*, , AAAAAAA,BBB

And my AS grades CDE - I am retaking one of each of the two exams from each subject to get them all up to B's :smile: predicted CCB but I have mitigation grounds

I have 2 weeks clinical experience at guys and at a dentist- I also work in a pharmacy

help please x :smile:P
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Might help if we could see the grades?
Original post by drbumblebee
hey guys ,

so as you can probably tell from my user name I reaaaallllyyy want to be a doctor - in particular a children's doctor.

however my As levels ....not so pretty so i just wondered what course is best to do - child nursing or neurology for post graduate application.

I know nursing has the clinical experience and I have a job at the end of it however, neurology is a subject that i am mad about and it is at the uni i want to study medicine in, but im not guaranteed work straight after :frown:

Neurology is a medical specialty - you can't be a neurologist without first qualifying as a doctor. Did you mean neuroscience?

What are you predicted for A2? And would you be just as happy being a paediatric nurse, or would you still apply for medicine afterwards?
hey guys ,

I know nursing has the clinical experience and I have a job at the end of it however, neurology is a subject that i am mad about and it is at the uni i want to study medicine in, but im not guaranteed work straight after :frown:

What grades did you get GCSE, A levels? What about experience?

You answered your own question. Also Medicine is EXTREMELY hard to transfer in or do at post grad.
hey guys ,

If you really did want to do Medicine, you wouldn't be giving up so easy! They're only AS Levels.. retake them in Year 13 with your A2s.
Original post by Democracy
Neurology is a medical specialty - you can't be a neurologist without first qualifying as a doctor. Did you mean neuroscience?

What are you predicted for A2? And would you be just as happy being a paediatric nurse, or would you still apply for medicine afterwards?

Hi ya

yeah I would still apply for medicine as i feel that I can push myself even more than nusing - its my dream to be a doctor and theres nothing i wouldn't do to live it
Original post by jenigma
If you really did want to do Medicine, you wouldn't be giving up so easy! They're only AS Levels.. retake them in Year 13 with your A2s.

trust me I am not giving up - nooo way , and I am - taking one of each subject to get my AS up to B's
Hi ya

yeah I would still apply for medicine as i feel that I can push myself even more than nusing - its my dream to be a doctor and theres nothing i wouldn't do to live it

Personally I wouldn't do nursing - most people who apply for nursing really want to be nurses and for you to take up a place (and funding), only to switch tracks as soon as you can isn't very cool imho.

If your "dream" is to be a doctor then what's the problem with doing neuroscience or any other life sciences course and applying for medicine afterwards?

Also, you didn't answer my other question - what are your predictions? We need some info on your current stats!
Personally I wouldn't do nursing - most people who apply for nursing really want to be nurses and for you to take up a place (and funding), only to switch tracks as soon as you can isn't very cool imho.

If your "dream" is to be a doctor then what's the problem with doing neuroscience or any other life sciences course?

Also, you didn't answer my other question - what are your predictions? We need some info on your current stats!

CCB - I was just worried in case they say no, then im kinda stuck - im trying to keep options open as back up as medicine is hard to get into ( wow shocker ha ha ) and there is no problem :smile: ha ha - are you at uni already then ?
hey guys ,

I know nursing has the clinical experience and I have a job at the end of it however, neuroscience is a subject that i am mad about and it is at the uni i want to study medicine in, but im not guaranteed work straight after :frown:

My GCSES were A* , D*, , AAAAAAA,BBB

And my AS grades CDE - I am retaking one of each of the two exams from each subject to get them all up to B's :smile: predicted CCB but I have mitigation grounds

I have 2 weeks clinical experience at guys and at a dentist- I also work in a pharmacy

Is there a reason why you got CDE at AS and only one A* at GCSE?
CCB - I was just worried in case they say no, then im kinda stuck - im trying to keep options open as back up as medicine is hard to get into ( wow shocker ha ha ) and there is no problem

But graduate entry medicine might just as easily reject you if you have a nursing degree too. Why do you think doing nursing gives you an advantage when it comes to GEM?

:smile: ha ha - are you at uni already then ?

Yep.
But graduate entry medicine might just as easily reject you if you have a nursing degree too. Why do you think doing nursing gives you an advantage when it comes to GEM?

Yep.

i just think it stands out because you are getting clinical work experience - what are you doing then ?
Original post by Mindless Behavior
Is there a reason why you got CDE at AS and only one A* at GCSE?

I have long running mental health problems - my anxiety gets to crippling levels around exam time. Also my secondary school gave VERY little support- so the grades I did get were off my own teaching and back
i just think it stands out because you are getting clinical work experience -

True, but there's nothing stopping you from getting work experience and doing a bit of volunteering as a life sciences student too. Whilst at the same time not stopping someone who actually wants to do nursing from pursuing their dream.

Put another way, how would you feel if someone went into medicine with the intention of bailing as soon as possible?

what are you doing then ?

Medicine! Why else would I be offering my opinion in this thread? :p:
True, but there's nothing stopping you from getting work experience and doing a bit of volunteering as a life sciences student too. Whilst at the same time not stopping someone who actually wants to do nursing from pursuing their dream.

Put another way, how would you feel if someone went into medicine with the intention of bailing as soon as possible?

Medicine! Why else would I be offering my opinion in this thread? :p:

ha ha thought so !! You lucky thing ( well maybe not luck - hard work ha ha ) yeah I understand your point however - not many people go into medicine with the intention of bailing, i suppose you are right :smile: one final question ...... WHAT IS MEDICINE LIKE !!!!!! :biggrin:
ha ha thought so !! You lucky thing ( well maybe not luck - hard work ha ha ) yeah I understand your point however - not many people go into medicine with the intention of bailing, i suppose you are right :smile: one final question ...... WHAT IS MEDICINE LIKE !!!!!! :biggrin:

That's a very broad question - I enjoy it a lot (most of the time) and I certainly don't want to be doing anything else. Was there something more specific you wanted to know about it?
That's a very broad question - I enjoy it a lot (most of the time) and I certainly don't want to be doing anything else. Was there something more specific you wanted to know about it?

umm believe me we would be here all night ! ok just one .... what are the lectures like ? :smile:
umm believe me we would be here all night ! ok just one .... what are the lectures like ? :smile:

Wouldn't know, I skipped most of them. I hate lectures, they're a **** way of teaching, they just send me to sleep.

The content which is taught in lectures (I assume you're referring to anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc) is pretty interesting for the most part. It's just that I don't like lectures as a teaching style. But I did a systems based course and there were modules which I liked a lot (cardiovascular, reproductive, etc) and some I enjoyed less (renal, neuro, etc). But on the whole it was still really interesting, if rather stressful at times because there was rather a lot to cram before the exams.
Wouldn't know, I skipped most of them. I hate lectures, they're a **** way of teaching, they just send me to sleep.

The content which is taught in lectures (I assume you're referring to anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc) is pretty interesting for the most part. It's just that I don't like lectures as a teaching style. But I did a systems based course and there were modules which I liked a lot (cardiovascular, reproductive, etc) and some I enjoyed less (renal, neuro, etc). But on the whole it was still really interesting, if rather stressful at times because there was rather a lot to cram before the exams.

woah .. ha ha still i cant wait to start uni - bit sick of the school system with teachers breathing down your neck constantly :smile:
Have you considered the long route (taking biomed then transferring to medicine)?
From what I can see, so long as you get a minimum 2:1 you can try and enter medical school as a graduate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending