The Student Room Group

AHHHH !! Medical school no go

Scroll to see replies

Just something else for you to consider - you say that you have had mental health difficulties, in particular anxiety, and that you find exams very anxiety-inducing. Have you considered how you would cope with a course like medicine? It is very intense, with a lot of exams. Basically, what I'm saying is, if you want to go for medicine then you need to have some kind of strategy in place for how you're going to tackle exams differently so that you can manage them and not find yourself too overwhelmed by anxiety. Mental health difficulties are by no means a barrier to studying medicine, and there are many medical students and doctors with mental health difficulties, and who cope with the demands and rigours of the course. However, you need to be realistic and make sure that you have a workable plan in place to make sure that what happened during your AS levels doesn't keep repeating itself in subsequent years.
Since nobody else has said it, I may as well. No matter what the mitigating circumstances, predicted grades of CCB are not going to cut it.
Reply 22
:confused::confused::confused: OP - do you realise you must be predicted a minimum AAA to apply for medicine, you can't apply with your predicted grades? Have you researched the workload and intensity of medicine, because if anxiety was an issue with GCSE's, you may well find medicine overwhelming, even if you were able to get the grades to apply.
Original post by drbumblebee
Hi ya

- its my dream to be a doctor and theres nothing i wouldn't do to live it

that's probably a rather unconventional suggestion but anyway:
how about studying abroad? In certain countries it is easier to get into medicine (France and Italy for example). Maybe you already speak a foreign language? Otherwise you could learn one...
I know a doctor who did exactly that because his grades weren't good enough for German standards. And for me it's actually the same, I wouldn't ave gotten into psychology in Germany but in Scotland it's a lot easier...

Just to consider all options :wink:
Reply 24
Original post by Feierabend
that's probably a rather unconventional suggestion but anyway:
how about studying abroad? In certain countries it is easier to get into medicine (France and Italy for example). Maybe you already speak a foreign language? Otherwise you could learn one...
I know a doctor who did exactly that because his grades weren't good enough for German standards. And for me it's actually the same, I wouldn't ave gotten into psychology in Germany but in Scotland it's a lot easier...

Just to consider all options :wink:

... with mental health and anxiety issues? Hmmm.
Reply 25
hey guys ,

so as you can probably tell from my user name I reaaaallllyyy want to be a doctor - in particular a children's doctor.

however my As levels ....not so pretty so i just wondered what course is best to do - child nursing or neurology for post graduate application.

I know nursing has the clinical experience and I have a job at the end of it however, neuroscience is a subject that i am mad about and it is at the uni i want to study medicine in, but im not guaranteed work straight after :frown:

My GCSES were A* , D*, , AAAAAAA,BBB

And my AS grades CDE - I am retaking one of each of the two exams from each subject to get them all up to B's :smile: predicted CCB but I have mitigation grounds

I have 2 weeks clinical experience at guys and at a dentist- I also work in a pharmacy

help please x :smile:P

I think that nursing is probably more appropriate because unless you do better than predicted in you a2's you may be a bit limited in courses still despite having a degree!
Also nursing is far closed to your end goal than neuroscience so if you couldn't get into medicine (60:1 applicant to place for grads) you'd still have something youd be happy with.
Modern nursing is a career with tonnes of scope eg nurse practitioners can prescribe drugs and many nurse earn a lot and get very high up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCubed
... with mental health and anxiety issues? Hmmm.

Well I don't know anything about his mental health issues and why would anxiety prevent you from learning a language?
Also, if you plan to study medicine, you should be able to learn a language.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Since nobody else has said it, I may as well. No matter what the mitigating circumstances, predicted grades of CCB are not going to cut it.

im going for neuroscience not medicine for undergrad
Original post by HCubed
:confused::confused::confused: OP - do you realise you must be predicted a minimum AAA to apply for medicine, you can't apply with your predicted grades? Have you researched the workload and intensity of medicine, because if anxiety was an issue with GCSE's, you may well find medicine overwhelming, even if you were able to get the grades to apply.

yeah i do , as was the whole point of the thread , i want to apply for post graduate medicine.. and i plan on raising those grades, and I am finding methods to cope , its getting there , unless you have had experience of mental health no one really knows what it is like - imagine swimming against the tide 24/7
im going for neuroscience not medicine for undergrad

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding on this thread then.

i want to apply for post graduate medicine.. and i plan on raising those grades, and I am finding methods to cope , its getting there , unless you have had experience of mental health no one really knows what it is like - imagine swimming against the tide 24/7 , or not even having the strength to lift a pen or when revising having constant dark thoughts. im not saying that my grades are amazing and im not applying for under grad- this post was to ask about course options for post grad , any ideas ? :smile:
There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding on this thread then.

yeah it was fine yesterday - im not sure why people got the idea i was applying for under grad medicine - especially since the title is medical school no go ha ha :biggrin:
yeah it was fine yesterday - im not sure why people got the idea i was applying for under grad medicine - especially since the title is medical school no go ha ha :biggrin:

Would you like me to move it to a more suitable forum?
Original post by junior.doctor
Just something else for you to consider - you say that you have had mental health difficulties, in particular anxiety, and that you find exams very anxiety-inducing. Have you considered how you would cope with a course like medicine? It is very intense, with a lot of exams. Basically, what I'm saying is, if you want to go for medicine then you need to have some kind of strategy in place for how you're going to tackle exams differently so that you can manage them and not find yourself too overwhelmed by anxiety. Mental health difficulties are by no means a barrier to studying medicine, and there are many medical students and doctors with mental health difficulties, and who cope with the demands and rigours of the course. However, you need to be realistic and make sure that you have a workable plan in place to make sure that what happened during your AS levels doesn't keep repeating itself in subsequent years.

thanks ! my AS year was literally the lowest point for me , my parents split up , i had to move schools and my health got to the lowest point it had ever been - i now feel a bit better and i am starting to get methods to cope - i feel more in controll - a bit more positive - i think its because that i put loads of pressure to get into medicine :smile:
Would you like me to move it to a more suitable forum?

nah - i think its clear enough in my opening :smile: if people are applying to mediicine and are looking at this , they should at least read it properally ha ha
Reply 35
Just do one of those 6 year Foundation courses. You will have to check on the websites to see if you're eligible for that though.
Original post by topmedical
Naturally,I have my reasons… But, I just wanted to say it is never too late to change your mind about what direction your life is taking!

Will + rep later. Good post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending