The Student Room Group

Social Work MA 2015 Entry

Hi,

I thought I'd start a 2015 entry thread for Social Work MA applicants! :biggrin:
Thought it might be nice to share tips, see where everyone is applying and generally chat

I've decided that I want to stay at the University of Birmingham to do my social work masters but am also looking at others and have started to draft stuff for my application.

Anyone in the same boat?

Scroll to see replies

meeeeeeeeeee ::smile:
Im applying to bham and a few others!
Reply 2
Wicked :smile: what course did you do before? which uni?
Original post by Hooby
Wicked :smile: what course did you do before? which uni?

Swansea. Medical Science and Humanities :smile:
you??
Reply 4
Original post by Mazzie1111
Swansea. Medical Science and Humanities :smile:
you??

What about Cardiff?
Reply 5
University of Birmingham and I'm doing a course called childhood, culture and education :biggrin:
Hello. I'll be applying too. Just for courses in the north.
It's very exciting. I am however A. worried about getting on the course, eeeek. And B. worried about securing funding for it. My financial situation is as such that I would be unable to do it without the bursary. I'm so nervous as I desperately want to be a social worker more than anything. ahhhh.
Anyway, hello everyone :biggrin:
yeah i'm relying on the bursary too. Sigh the stress!
Reply 8
Same! Not quite sure of the process involved trying to get a Bursary, I know Brum nominate people :smile:
Reply 9
Hey guys!

I've just signed up after constantly looking at postgrad degrees for myself next year. I'm currently studying psychology and recently found the Birmingham course and I'd love to do it. Reading the admission requirements I see that they've listed 3 months practise based experience. I was wondering what you guys have done for that? I've had bits of experience here and there but it was only a week or two at a time!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by weld92
Hey guys!

I've just signed up after constantly looking at postgrad degrees for myself next year. I'm currently studying psychology and recently found the Birmingham course and I'd love to do it. Reading the admission requirements I see that they've listed 3 months practise based experience. I was wondering what you guys have done for that? I've had bits of experience here and there but it was only a week or two at a time!

Yay someone else interested in Brum :biggrin: erm they're up for any related exp as well i think. I've been lucky in that ive been able to work for a council and stuff. They dont have to be three months as in a straight three months tho, you can make it up from weeks/months if that makes sense :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Hooby
Yay someone else interested in Brum :biggrin: erm they're up for any related exp as well i think. I've been lucky in that ive been able to work for a council and stuff. They dont have to be three months as in a straight three months tho, you can make it up from weeks/months if that makes sense :smile:

Yup! I've been back and forth about what I've wanted to do for awhile now, but today miraculously had a revelation that I wanted to do social work. Yeah I figured as much, I've had a bit of experience in schools and hospitals I'm sure it'll be easy enough to get some more over the year anyway. Keep me updated on your choices, I wont be thinking about getting mine started until the end of this month but you can never have enough research!
Hey, I'm a 2015 social work applicant too. I'm in my final year of a humanities degree and over the past year I've come to realise that social work is what I really want to do. I'm not convinced that I'll get in anywhere this year or whether I can afford it if I do and may very well end up reapplying next year but I thought I might as well give this year a shot. I'm worried that I don't have enough of the "right" kind of experience right now although I do have quite a bit in total. I'm pretty set on my choices being Durham, York, Liverpool Hope, Manchester and Birmingham so far.
Reply 13
Hi :smile: welcome to any newbies of the thread.

I'm hoping to send my application in end of this week, early next week as if I get selected for interview I want it to be sooner rather than later :smile: I'm also currently trying to start my dissertation so juggling things this final year should be fun :smile:

It'll be nice if we get a few applicants who are looking at the same uni's, at least we'll know somebody!!
Reply 14
I have now sent my application off :biggrin: nail biting but exciting!
Original post by Hooby
I have now sent my application off :biggrin: nail biting but exciting!

Hiii
oh how exciting. Good luck!
I am writing my statement this weekend. Unsure of where to apply. Any reasons why you're all applying to your unis welcomed :redface:
Reply 16
Original post by happyhope
Hiii
oh how exciting. Good luck!
I am writing my statement this weekend. Unsure of where to apply. Any reasons why you're all applying to your unis welcomed :redface:

Thanks :biggrin: I'm working the Birmingham open day tomorrow and our stall is next to the social work one haha

i'm applying to Birmingham because its just such a good, friendly uni - i can't imagine being anywhere else and i can't imagine leaving. I've had an amazing 2 and a half years here and don't want to leave! :smile: its really good for social work as well, very prestigious with good links with BCC and other places. where are you thinking of?
Original post by Hooby
Thanks :biggrin: I'm working the Birmingham open day tomorrow and our stall is next to the social work one haha

i'm applying to Birmingham because its just such a good, friendly uni - i can't imagine being anywhere else and i can't imagine leaving. I've had an amazing 2 and a half years here and don't want to leave! :smile: its really good for social work as well, very prestigious with good links with BCC and other places. where are you thinking of?

Good point in choosing Birmingham then. I grew up there. I see the appeal :smile:
I'm in the South at the moment. Kind of worried about money + not having a car for placements! Toying with Brum + also looking at Manchester. I just have no idea where to go :biggrin:
It's all very exciting and nerve racking too haha!
Hi all!!

I'm new to the forum.

I'm applying for the 2 and 3 year routes to both Queens and BMC/Magee

Does anyone know if the 2 year route is 1st year BMC and 2nd year Magee, or both years at Magee?

Thanks in advance!!

Also what age is everyone on here?? I'm feeling very old at 36!!!
Reply 19
Original post by waveydavey!
Hi all!!

I'm new to the forum.

I'm applying for the 2 and 3 year routes to both Queens and BMC/Magee

Does anyone know if the 2 year route is 1st year BMC and 2nd year Magee, or both years at Magee?

Thanks in advance!!

Also what age is everyone on here?? I'm feeling very old at 36!!!

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but thats maybe worth asking current Magee students/emailing a course provider? I'm 20 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending