The Student Room Group

Regretting the decision to withdraw university application

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techgeekgirl
Thank you! I have been trying to tell people that. My friend keeps suggesting that I should that I should work in a pub, but I keep telling her I don't want to.

My advisor at the jobcentre doesn't like that I'm looking for office or retail jobs when I don't really want to do those jobs, but it's the only way I'll be able to get off jobseekers allowance.

I completely understand. When I got my first job, I only looked in retail. I could never do a kitchen job. Retail isn't the best option, but it's not terrible.
Original post by Coffeetime
I completely understand. When I got my first job, I only looked in retail. I could never do a kitchen job. Retail isn't the best option, but it's not terrible.

I would be able to stand working in retail, but not in a kitchen.

I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. Which is disheartening.

My advisor is also making me go on a course to improve my interview skills, which I would think is helpful, if I had ever been given an interview before. It's just so depressing being on jobseekers allowance. :frown:
I would be able to stand working in retail, but not in a kitchen.

I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. Which is disheartening.

My advisor is also making me go on a course to improve my interview skills, which I would think is helpful, if I had ever been given an interview before. It's just so depressing being on jobseekers allowance. :frown:

Not everyone has their life planned out. I'm 27 and I'm still getting there.

Just keep looking for jobs. Persistence pays off.
Not everyone has their life planned out. I'm 27 and I'm still getting there.

Just keep looking for jobs. Persistence pays off.

I will do.

With the life planned out bit, its just all of the people from my year at sixth form seem to have there's planned out. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but its so hard not to. :frown:
Reply 44
Not everyone is meant for the same job. The right job will come along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But these are just stupid excuses. Even the "right job" would involve some training and being busy. Your post would be helpful if they were offered a million things, but they're struggling to get any job and don't realise how the working world works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I worked in a kitchen for two years from 16-18 and I can tell you it is the worst job I ever had.

The people were great but, the hours are completely unsociable, it's always a mad rush, it's rediculously hot, greasy and just generally soul destroying work.

So cut op a bit of slack.
Original post by Juno
But these are just stupid excuses. Even the "right job" would involve some training and being busy. Your post would be helpful if they were offered a million things, but they're struggling to get any job and don't realise how the working world works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that and you make perfectly good points. I'm just trying to be sympathetic I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
working in a kitchen may not be a desirable job buy the OP has said there is very little work around where they live and doesnt show initiative in seeking work elsewhere. So their choices are job seekers allowance, where they are being supported by other people including some working in kitchens and pubs, or work that they dont like.

Why should they live off people working in kitchens and pubs when they aren't prepared to do so?
Original post by parentlurker
working in a kitchen may not be a desirable job buy the OP has said there is very little work around where they live and doesnt show initiative in seeking work elsewhere. So their choices are job seekers allowance, where they are being supported by other people including some working in kitchens and pubs, or work that they dont like.

Why should they live off people working in kitchens and pubs when they aren't prepared to do so?

That's a very valid point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by parentlurker

I appreciate your posts, but the only reason I got a trial in the kitchen was because my mum used to work there and my gran is a regular at that pub and she's friends with the owners. If they had a job advertised, as it's very rare they do, I would have applied, and I probably wouldn't have been chosen.

Then all the other kitchen, waitressing, pub, and cafe jobs around here all require a lot of experience.

I'm seeking work all around my region that I can get to within an hour and a half, I've even applied for jobs that would require me to travel.

And FYI, I don't want to be in jobseekers allowance, it was just a choice I had to make to take some of the financial burden off my mum and to get my gran to stop harassing me every goddamn day. I'm doing everything I can to get off jobseekers allowance, but I'm allowed to have some limits. I don't care if you agree, I'm allowed to have some limits for my wellbeing.
I appreciate your posts, but the only reason I got a trial in the kitchen was because my mum used to work there and my gran is a regular at that pub and she's friends with the owners. If they had a job advertised, as it's very rare they do, I would have applied, and I probably wouldn't have been chosen.

Then all the other kitchen, waitressing, pub, and cafe jobs around here all require a lot of experience.

I'm seeking work all around my region that I can get to within an hour and a half, I've even applied for jobs that would require me to travel.

And FYI, I don't want to be in jobseekers allowance, it was just a choice I had to make to take some of the financial burden off my mum and to get my gran to stop harassing me every goddamn day. I'm doing everything I can to get off jobseekers allowance, but I'm allowed to have some limits. I don't care if you agree, I'm allowed to have some limits for my wellbeing.

never feel guilty for claiming Job Seekers allowance, you will spend your next 50 years paying tax, so while you are in the position you are in, use the safety net that you (any every other tax payer) will be paying for... think of it as borrowing it on credit because my god you will pay back a hell of a lot more than you take out!

Best of luck and don't be afraid to leave the region or even the country to find what you want to do, I moved to Andorra to work in hotels during ski seasons then ran bar crawls in Barcelona while trying to find my direction...found it eventually but it does take time.
Original post by Paulwyn
never feel guilty for claiming Job Seekers allowance, you will spend your next 50 years paying tax, so while you are in the position you are in, use the safety net that you (any every other tax payer) will be paying for... think of it as borrowing it on credit because my god you will pay back a hell of a lot more than you take out!

Best of luck and don't be afraid to leave the region or even the country to find what you want to do, I moved to Andorra to work in hotels during ski seasons then ran bar crawls in Barcelona while trying to find my direction...found it eventually but it does take time.

Thank you!

I think the reason why I'm not get a lot of responses to applications, usually saying I haven't got the job, is because of my CV. It's a bit sparse. Its got most of my qualifications on, and the work experience I have done, but it's my personal statement bit.

The jobcentre has put me on a course to help 18 to 24 year olds get a job, and last week when it started it made me realise that its the personal statement part which is letting me down. I'm not good at describing my strengths.

Things are starting to look up, I'm starting to see a bit more job adverts for my area. So hopefully once I've finished this course I'll be able to get a job.
Thank you!

I think the reason why I'm not get a lot of responses to applications, usually saying I haven't got the job, is because of my CV. It's a bit sparse. Its got most of my qualifications on, and the work experience I have done, but it's my personal statement bit.

The jobcentre has put me on a course to help 18 to 24 year olds get a job, and last week when it started it made me realise that its the personal statement part which is letting me down. I'm not good at describing my strengths.

Things are starting to look up, I'm starting to see a bit more job adverts for my area. So hopefully once I've finished this course I'll be able to get a job.

no worries, easy ways to boost your PS and CV are to look into things like volunteering and NCS (http://www.ncsyes.co.uk/).

Getting your first job is a real catch 22 as everyone wants experience (even for entry level roles) but you can't get experience as no-one will give you a job because you lack experience...I went through that frustrating nightmare bout 10 years back and I can honestly say I don't envy you...but don't give up, keep building your PS/CV and you'll get there.
Original post by Paulwyn
no worries, easy ways to boost your PS and CV are to look into things like volunteering and NCS (http://www.ncsyes.co.uk/).

Getting your first job is a real catch 22 as everyone wants experience (even for entry level roles) but you can't get experience as no-one will give you a job because you lack experience...I went through that frustrating nightmare bout 10 years back and I can honestly say I don't envy you...but don't give up, keep building your PS/CV and you'll get there.

The course I'm on had a day on CV building, and I have two CVs now, I have to match my personal statement bit to the job I'm applying for, which was helpfully. I've seen a few job adverts lately for office assistants that don't require any or a lot of experience, so I've been applying to those.

I had to go to the jobcentre yesterday for a information session about what is out there, like traineeships, and work trials and experience. It was slightly helpful.

I've also signed up to a company in the North East which helps find apprenticeships based on your location and what you want to do, it's mainly IT based and Business Admin, and I wouldn't mind doing an apprenticeship in those areas, so that's another thing that can help me.

I'll have a look at the things you suggested, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest