The Student Room Group

I'm lost help.

Ok I live in the Middle East.and I used to study igcse. My teachers said that we would take the first half in grade 9 and second half in grade 10 .is that how it works everywhere? Any ways after grade 10 exams we were supposed to take A Levels.heres the problem for me I stopped going to school after I've finished 9th grade because of health issue and many other problems in my life.Now I've decided to get homeschooled online.where do I start.i am completely lost .am I supposed to study a levels now? And btw I haven't done my igcse exams because I was supposed to do it in grade 10.Well I need you guys to help me what to choose and what's the best igcse online school.Thanks in advance :smile: oh and ps,should I take foreign languages besides English(second language)? Should I take French or Spanish even if I don't have previous experiences with foreign languages? Is it useful .i'm planning to live abroad.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lulu77797
Ok I live in the Middle East.and I used to study igcse. My teachers said that we would take the first half in grade 9 and second half in grade 10 .is that how it works everywhere? Any ways after grade 10 exams we were supposed to take A Levels.heres the problem for me I stopped going to school after I've finished 9th grade because of health issue and many other problems in my life.Now I've decided to get homeschooled online.where do I start.i am completely lost .am I supposed to study a levels now? And btw I haven't done my igcse exams because I was supposed to do it in grade 10.Well I need you guys to help me what to choose and what's the best igcse online school.Thanks in advance :smile: oh and ps,should I take foreign languages besides English(second language)? Should I take French or Spanish even if I don't have previous experiences with foreign languages? Is it useful .i'm planning to live abroad.

Firstly, don't take foreign languages if you have no past experiences.. Also I would strongly suggest to take your IGCSE's first before taking A-levels, as Gcses are required to study A levels here in England. Furthermore, universities would also look at your Gcses or any equivalent qualifications. Maybe you could ask to retake grade 9 as opposed to being home schooled online? That's a better option imo, as it would give you 2 years to complete your GCSEs as opposed to 1 year. I know this may sound tedious and prolonging, but unless you are a child prodigy who could possibly get all A's and A*'s in 8-9 months of studying, repeating grade 9 is probably your best bet. Also, your friends may be moving onto A levels, and it may seem intimidating but believe me.... DO YOUR GCSE'S FIRST!

I'm a north londoner going into my 2nd year of Gcse's btw, having achieved 2A*'s last year and predicted 7A*'s total and 5/6 A's

Maybe you could tell me what you're looking to do for Gcses and I'll do my best to help you.. Also, feel free to pm me whenever, even if it's to say hi. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by vd12345
Firstly, don't take foreign languages if you have no past experiences.. Also I would strongly suggest to take your IGCSE's first before taking A-levels, as Gcses are required to study A levels here in England. Furthermore, universities would also look at your Gcses or any equivalent qualifications. Maybe you could ask to retake grade 9 as opposed to being home schooled online? That's a better option imo, as it would give you 2 years to complete your GCSEs as opposed to 1 year. I know this may sound tedious and prolonging, but unless you are a child prodigy who could possibly get all A's and A*'s in 8-9 months of studying, repeating grade 9 is probably your best bet. Also, your friends may be moving onto A levels, and it may seem intimidating but believe me.... DO YOUR GCSE'S FIRST!

I'm a north londoner going into my 2nd year of Gcse's btw, having achieved 2A*'s last year and predicted 7A*'s total and 5/6 A's

Maybe you could tell me what you're looking to do for Gcses and I'll do my best to help you.. Also, feel free to pm me whenever, even if it's to say hi. :smile:

Hi :smile: Thank you so much,you're a life saver!hopefully I'll find my way from here.I'm planning to take bio,chemistry,physics,maths,computer studies and English as a second language.I think I can hopefully finish my IGCSEs in 8-9 months,I am a total nerd hahaha.I can't go to school at the moment ...well..because the schools aren't very good here and only a few schools follow the British curriculum.unfortunately I have no other option but to get homeschooled online.Thanks for your suggestions.You helped me a lot .and yes,I could use your help in the future too.Good luck with your studies btw
Reply 3
Hi :smile: Thank you so much,you're a life saver!hopefully I'll find my way from here.I'm planning to take bio,chemistry,physics,maths,computer studies and English as a second language.I think I can hopefully finish my IGCSEs in 8-9 months,I am a total nerd hahaha.I can't go to school at the moment ...well..because the schools aren't very good here and only a few schools follow the British curriculum.unfortunately I have no other option but to get homeschooled online.Thanks for your suggestions.You helped me a lot .and yes,I could use your help in the future too.Good luck with your studies btw

Np and thank you :wink: are you doing the same exam boards as me? I was on edexcel for maths, which I took last year.. And I'm on aqa for the 3 sciences and english
Reply 4
You're welcome.Oh I was on Edexcel and CIE .oh and btw I am going to take six subjects .should I take extended or core?Does it make a difference?
Reply 5
You're welcome.Oh I was on Edexcel and CIE .oh and btw I am going to take six subjects .should I take extended or core?Does it make a difference?

I don't understand your question. Are you refering to Gcse science?
Reply 6
Original post by vd12345
I don't understand your question. Are you refering to Gcse science?

I researched about and after several searches i found out that core covers grades C to G and extended covers A* to E. So I believe if a student is capable of scoring A* to E they should take the extended cource.its much more difficult than Core.and it applies to every subject.
Reply 7
I researched about and after several searches i found out that core covers grades C to G and extended covers A* to E. So I believe if a student is capable of scoring A* to E they should take the extended cource.its much more difficult than Core.and it applies to every subject.

In that case, I'd take extended for sure, because C's won't get you very far and it seems to me like you're very capible.
Reply 8
Original post by vd12345
In that case, I'd take extended for sure, because C's won't get you very far and it seems to me like you're very capible.

Hey thank you :smile: well it was very nice and helpful talking to you.
Reply 9

Does this mean you want to end our conversation =o =[

Does this mean you want to end our conversation? =o =[
Where in the middle east do you live?
Original post by Alisa59

But where in the middle east do YOU live? XD
Original post by Alisa59

But where in the middle east do YOU live? XD or if you don't live there then where do you live?
Reply 14
Original post by vd12345
Does this mean you want to end our conversation =o =[

We we can still talk any day.heck if you still wanna talk I'm here lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Alisa59

lol you didn't even answer my question .haha thanks for replying anyways :smile:
We we can still talk any day.heck if you still wanna talk I'm here lol

You said wee wee loool and sure :wink: we'll talk
Original post by vd12345
But where in the middle east do YOU live? XD

I'm just asking.
If OP doesn't want to answer, then he/she should say so.
It seems ridiculous for you to question back at me.

lol you didn't even answer my question .haha thanks for replying anyways :smile:

What question?
Reply 18
What question?

I was referring to the question I asked that started this thread.Read my first post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by vd12345
You said wee wee loool and sure :wink: we'll talk

LOOL I didn't see that.i always make typos ,I even edited that comment for another typo.but I missed the fact I started the post with We 2x .im so silly ha.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest