The Student Room Group

is pharmacy course standardised? HELP! URGENT

hey guys!
it's a long story, but basically I got into Portsmouth to study pharmacy through adjustment before looking at the league tables...and now I'm thinking I could have got into a more prestigious university...but I also heard something like "It does not matter where you go for pharmacy because it is accredited by the external body". How true is this statement? I want to work in a pharmaceutical company, so will someone from Nottingham have advantage over me if we both get the same result at the end?
Original post by Thresholdtofire
hey guys!
it's a long story, but basically I got into Portsmouth to study pharmacy through adjustment before looking at the league tables...and now I'm thinking I could have got into a more prestigious university...but I also heard something like "It does not matter where you go for pharmacy because it is accredited by the external body". How true is this statement? I want to work in a pharmaceutical company, so will someone from Nottingham have advantage over me if we both get the same result at the end?

With no contacts at Portsmouth I cannot speak on behalf of their course, however pharma companies are well known for recruiting from Nottingham. The course is standardised as it is regulated by the GPhC governing body and as such there is some truth in what you have heard.
The difference between the students however is the accessibility/support for placements which is fundamental to getting an industry pre-reg, unless you decide to use your pharmacy degree as a standard science degree and go for their grad scheme programmes in which case you would also have to demonstrate skills beyond what you learn from the curriculum e.g. have a position on committee in a university society, volunteer abroad, summer studentships etc.
Go for it! Getting into any pharmacy school is really good. Although I don't go to portsmouth, I know people who have gone to portsmouth and gone on to work in big london hospitals and even industry. In contrast, there are people I know from Nottingham Uni who have gone and worked for independant pharmacies.

It really depends on you as a person. Also, how much you are willing to work. In terms of your statement, it is true. The gphc regulate all pharmacy courses, so the teaching is essentially the same!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending