The Student Room Group

I'm really scared. No one will hire me.

Scroll to see replies

The first rung is often the highest.
Reply 21
Original post by rsdntbplr
Echoing others: don't worry about it too much. It's nothing to do with potential employers not liking you, and most likely not about your qualifications because you have good grades.

A more likely reason is simply the amount of people applying for the same role. Some companies will have over 100 people apply for a handful of positions available - which means it comes down to the luck of who they pick out out of the equally matched candidates. Of course qualifications and experience do play a role, but if you have many people applying with similar grades, it'll fall down to who they pick and in what order (if there are multiple positions available.

Then you need to consider other explanations. Your CV may not be attractive enough to employers. It's difficult to imagine that a CV could make a difference regardless of the content but it can - the layout, font face and size, and information you do and don't include can be important to a prospective employer. Have a look online at some sample CVs to see how yours compares.

I've had five jobs. I've actually applied for 100s. Just persevere and keep applying. Set yourself a target of applying for at least 5 positions a week. You WILL eventually get an interview.

Hey!! I now have a job at Sainsburys!! I cannot believe it and you're right about perseverance and applying to many many jobs. I had interviews from tesco sainsburys , PC world, and Schuh but I got lots of rejections too.Thank you so much!!
Original post by Jumpout
I'm really new to the job scene, so I literally have no experience when it comes to applying to jobs; however I know that it's quite competitive out there and so, to the best of my ability, I try to gain as much experience as I can by volunteering etc.

Currently, I volunteer at a hospital and a charity shop, to gain some retail experience and improve my communication skills.
I have also volunteered at a local festival box office and managed to sold lots of tickets. I also have a week of work experience in a Pharmacy as Pharmacy assistant.

I'm a very hard-working person and even the manager at the Charity shop I'm currently volunteering in praises me for it and asks me if I can stay longer etc.

I recently applied to Farmfoods and I just need to send my CV- got rejected
ASDA- need to do the online assessment- got rejected and told I was not the right match to the company.
A local restaurant- just sent my CV- rejected
And two other more.

I got decent grades as well for my GCSE's 9 A-B and 1 C and A levels!!

Is this normal when you first apply to a job? Do you get a lot of rejections? :frown:(

Don’t worry it’s like applying to unis, dating etc just gotta keep at it. I’ve been turned down loads. Anyway who want to work for them. Or start your own. I worked for myself with people as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending