The Student Room Group

Uni history module without history A level :/

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place...

I'm going to university in two weeks to study English and recently chose my option module for the first year. I chose modern history, with the modules "Renaissance to Enlightenment" and "Monarchy and Society". I chose them because I enjoyed learning a little about the Renaissance during my A level English studies and also they should help me understand the context of the novels we study in the core English modules.

Since I made that decision I've realised that I'm going to be studying alongside History students and I'm now really worried that I won't be able to keep up as I didn't do A level or even GCSE history. Can anyone who studies history at uni or A level tell me whether I'm likely to struggle with the history modules as I have no experience of writing history essays and my historical knowledge is at year 9 level? :/ I know it might sound stupid that I chose them when I've done so little history but it interests me and I'm prepared to work hard. I think I'll enjoy it but obviously not if it's far too difficult for me to keep up with the course. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thelittleHanna
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place...

I'm going to university in two weeks to study English and recently chose my option module for the first year. I chose modern history, with the modules "Renaissance to Enlightenment" and "Monarchy and Society". I chose them because I enjoyed learning a little about the Renaissance during my A level English studies and also they should help me understand the context of the novels we study in the core English modules.

Since I made that decision I've realised that I'm going to be studying alongside History students and I'm now really worried that I won't be able to keep up as I didn't do A level or even GCSE history. Can anyone who studies history at uni or A level tell me whether I'm likely to struggle with the history modules as I have no experience of writing history essays and my historical knowledge is at year 9 level? :/ I know it might sound stupid that I chose them when I've done so little history but it interests me and I'm prepared to work hard. I think I'll enjoy it but obviously not if it's far too difficult for me to keep up with the course. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try reading this:

Studying History (Palgrave Study Skills) by Jeremy Black & Donald MacRaild

You can get second hand copies from Amazon or Abebooks.

It is in two sections - the first about historical thinking and how it has changed, the second about the practicalities of studying history.
This is a first year course designed as 'introductory' for all students. If it wasn't 'doable' it wouldn't be available as an extra module to those outside History.

The above book is useful and highly recommended, but don't panic too much if its seems too complicated. The point of the 'outside' course is simply to give you context for your own subject courses. It isnt about making you into a History graduate.
What uni you at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending