The Student Room Group

How much fancy dress should I take to uni?

My pirate coat takes up loads of space, let alone the hat! It's not like I wear my frilly shirt for anything else either.

Everyone seems to be telling me to just take it all, but I can't see myself ever wearing my Mike Wazowski costume at uni. It's not like I have loads of fancy dress, but the outfits I do have are quite substantial and only really good for one thing.

I've checked out the themes for Freshers' and I don't have much that's suitable, so I'm going to have to get more when get to uni.

So really, how much do you think I should take? Are there that many opportunities to wear it all? Some things, like my cowboy outfit, I could wear most of anyway, so should I just take those (although again with the hat!)?
I'd say just choose what you'll probably want to wear for Halloween and wear that, Halloween was the only time anybody really did costumes seriously here.
Reply 2
Just take the funniest/ most random costumes.
Original post by CookieInOrange
So really, how much do you think I should take? Are there that many opportunities to wear it all? Some things, like my cowboy outfit, I could wear most of anyway, so should I just take those (although again with the hat!)?

Don't take too much, the fun part is planning and getting to buy or even make stuff with people once you are there. Obviously there is Freshers, but even in 2nd/3rd year lots of my friends would do themes for their birthdays. It was quite funny to see how much effort some people would put into it.

If you've got a really wacky or random costume then definitely bring that. The Monsters Inc one sounds perfect. We had a few really obscure ones in my group of friends which would be brought out every so often, one of the best nights we had in Freshers year was just us wearing the most wacky and bizarre costumes.
Take the funniest but don't bring anything too heavy and warm it will get baked inside a club

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Don't take too much, the fun part is planning and getting to buy or even make stuff with people once you are there. Obviously there is Freshers, but even in 2nd/3rd year lots of my friends would do themes for their birthdays. It was quite funny to see how much effort some people would put into it.

If you've got a really wacky or random costume then definitely bring that. The Monsters Inc one sounds perfect. We had a few really obscure ones in my group of friends which would be brought out every so often, one of the best nights we had in Freshers year was just us wearing the most wacky and bizarre costumes.

Okay, thanks. I guess it just seems like a bit of a waste if I have to get a second version of an outfit just because I didn't bring one from home.

Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Take the funniest but don't bring anything too heavy and warm it will get baked inside a club

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I thought. For one of the Freshers' week nights they've recommended suitable onesies though, so I'm not sure how that's going to work out.
Reply 6
Mike Wazowski or gtfo
Original post by SophieSmall
I'd say just choose what you'll probably want to wear for Halloween and wear that, Halloween was the only time anybody really did costumes seriously here.

I was thinking of going home for the weekend before that, so I could bring my costume down then rather than having it clutter my room all term. Thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by Riku
Mike Wazowski or gtfo

It makes me look very... round.
Reply 9
It makes me look very... round.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll catch someone's eye :-)
My pirate coat takes up loads of space, let alone the hat! It's not like I wear my frilly shirt for anything else either.

Everyone seems to be telling me to just take it all, but I can't see myself ever wearing my Mike Wazowski costume at uni. It's not like I have loads of fancy dress, but the outfits I do have are quite substantial and only really good for one thing.

I've checked out the themes for Freshers' and I don't have much that's suitable, so I'm going to have to get more when get to uni.

If you have anything relevant to the themes in freshers then take that. Then as others have said, just take something random/funny.
We only dressed up in freshers and for Halloween, so I wouldn't take piles of stuff!

Also, I want a Mike Wazowski costume! :eek:
All the best costumes are culled from Primark clothes, cardboard, glue and cereal (seriously, all my favourite halloween costumes have involved gluing cereal to myself :dontknow:). So I'd just take your favourite costume you have already, and then make any others you need once there. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending